Still in search for a striker

Penney still in search for a striker

January 20, 2010

LATICS’ assistant boss Martin Gray admitted the club has some ‘irons in the fire’ as they seek to replace Chris O’Grady.

The striker finally completed his move to Rochdale last week for a fee thought to be in the region of £85,000.

Pawel Abbott has recovered from a hernia injury but his second-half appearance at Hartlepool United on January 2 was his first game since the defeat to Huddersfield Town two months earlier.

Despite missing eight weeks of football, Abbott is comfortably Latics’ leading scorer with seven to his name this season.

As a result, Athletic’s coaching staff are seeking reinforcements with one-time loanee Paul Heffernan very much in the frame.

Penney is a confirmed fan of the Northern Irishman having spent a then club record £125,000 to take Heffernan to Bristol City in 2005 – from under Athletic’s noses.

His loan spell at Boundary Park towards the end of last year brought one goal against Exeter City and a missed penalty at Wycombe Wanderers – which would have been his 100th career league strike.

"We’re looking for a new striker and we have a few irons in the fire," admitted Gray.

"We’re still looking to try and strengthen in that department because we can’t solely rely on Pav.

"There are some weeks coming up when we have to play Saturday and Tuesday so we need other options up front – otherwise it’ll come back and bite us on the behind.

"I don’t think Chris particularly wanted to come back once his loan was over which I understand; he’s gone there, kickstarted his career and we’ve got a good deal."

Penney still in search for a striker

January 20, 2010

LATICS’ assistant boss Martin Gray admitted the club has some ‘irons in the fire’ as they seek to replace Chris O’Grady.

The striker finally completed his move to Rochdale last week for a fee thought to be in the region of £85,000.

Pawel Abbott has recovered from a hernia injury but his second-half appearance at Hartlepool United on January 2 was his first game since the defeat to Huddersfield Town two months earlier.

Despite missing eight weeks of football, Abbott is comfortably Latics’ leading scorer with seven to his name this season.

As a result, Athletic’s coaching staff are seeking reinforcements with one-time loanee Paul Heffernan very much in the frame.

Penney is a confirmed fan of the Northern Irishman having spent a then club record £125,000 to take Heffernan to Bristol City in 2005 – from under Athletic’s noses.

His loan spell at Boundary Park towards the end of last year brought one goal against Exeter City and a missed penalty at Wycombe Wanderers – which would have been his 100th career league strike.

"We’re looking for a new striker and we have a few irons in the fire," admitted Gray.

"We’re still looking to try and strengthen in that department because we can’t solely rely on Pav.

"There are some weeks coming up when we have to play Saturday and Tuesday so we need other options up front – otherwise it’ll come back and bite us on the behind.

"I don’t think Chris particularly wanted to come back once his loan was over which I understand; he’s gone there, kickstarted his career and we’ve got a good deal."

I don't remember that......I do remember him going to Donny.

I know that this might seem far-fetched but does anybody else think that the following could happen?:

We get to the last day of the transfer window without anybody coming in*

A story goes up on the Official Site saying that we're 'working hard' to bring somebody in

The deadline passes with no new faces

The next day, there is a story on the official site saying that there is still the loan market

As I say, I know I'm asking you to take a huge leap of imagination but it could happen.

* I'm not forgetting that two players came in on 1st January.

I know that this might seem far-fetched but does anybody else think that the following could happen?:

We get to the last day of the transfer window without anybody coming in*

A story goes up on the Official Site saying that we're 'working hard' to bring somebody in

The deadline passes with no new faces

The next day, there is a story on the official site saying that there is still the loan market

As I say, I know I'm asking you to take a huge leap of imagination but it could happen.

* I'm not forgetting that two players came in on 1st January.

Yep, same :censored: different year....

NIL

Penny was om gmr last night stated "the transfer window is not for clubs like us its for the big clubs " then went on to say "the loan market opens on 7th of feb so it all starts again "make of that what you will ?

I don't want anymore loan players unless it's with a view to a permanent move, enough is enough!!!!!.... 90% of the time they just come to get fit and are a complete waste of money, I would much rather play one of our youngsters, at least then it would give them some valuable experience!!!!

I don't want anymore loan players unless it's with a view to a permanent move, enough is enough!!!!!.... 90% of the time they just come to get fit and are a complete waste of money, I would much rather play one of our youngsters, at least then it would give them some valuable experience!!!!

I think you're wide of the mark there. This season, Sheehan and :censored: have been superb. In fact if there's anything we've done wrong that is not to fight tooth and nail to keep hold of Sheehan, who still has the highest number of assists this season for us. Heffernan didn't do too bad either; he'd have had a couple more if it wasn't for slight rust and a huge slice of bad fortune. So there's 3 success stories for a kick off. Shouldn't there be 60 other players to make up your ill-thought out percentage calculation?

Loan players are hit and miss naturally, but to say they never work is stupid. Using it wrongly, like last season just leads to a nightmare scenario of having the wrong type of players through the door, but if there's one thing I can say about Penney is he's not done too bad in the loan market. A million times better than Shez in any case.

Cor, people are taking it to extremes whenever they're quoting DP. He definitely has his faults, and I'm yet to be convinced he's the right man for us but I'm a long way off the insane hysteria some of you nesbits are churning out.

I think you're wide of the mark there. This season, Sheehan and :censored: have been superb. In fact if there's anything we've done wrong that is not to fight tooth and nail to keep hold of Sheehan, who still has the highest number of assists this season for us. Heffernan didn't do too bad either; he'd have had a couple more if it wasn't for slight rust and a huge slice of bad fortune. So there's 3 success stories for a kick off. Shouldn't there be 60 other players to make up your ill-thought out percentage calculation?

Loan players are hit and miss naturally, but to say they never work is stupid. Using it wrongly, like last season just leads to a nightmare scenario of having the wrong type of players through the door, but if there's one thing I can say about Penney is he's not done too bad in the loan market. A million times better than Shez in any case.

Cor, people are taking it to extremes whenever they're quoting DP. He definitely has his faults, and I'm yet to be convinced he's the right man for us but I'm a long way off the insane hysteria some of you nesbits are churning out.

Spot bloody on FMS

The financial state of the game today dictates that the loan market continues to get busier season on season and whilst most of us would prefer 'permanent' signings who had time to get an affinity with the club, the reality is that, we have to use it and there'll be some good and indeed some bad that pop through the revolving boundary park door.

Sod the striker... were almost back on track there, defence is pretty solid too.

Lets get a grip in midfield please. Someone with a bit of bite, not afraid to tackle and can think about "where" to place the bloody ball - get it out to the wingers for chuffs sake and lets get some crosses in. We are more dangerous getting those crosses in and lets face it - more likely to score as we have no-one outside the box who even is brave enough to have a pop these days.

Can we get Nicky henry and Mike Milligan back in the squad???........

I am desperate to see someone with a bit of passion to fight for that spherical object........ :ranting:

Shouldn't there be 60 other players to make up your ill-thought out percentage calculation?

Quoting DP.....Who mentioned DP? I certainly didn't.......Read the post nesbit!!!! Penney's record, which as you have pointed out is OK. What I did say was, 90% are a waste of time and hardly benefit the club.

Look at our loan signings over the last 3 or 4 years and you could probably count on two hands those that have been succesful.

Shouldn't there be 60 other players to make up your ill-thought out percentage calculation?

Quoting DP.....Who mentioned DP? I certainly didn't.......Read the post nesbit!!!! Penney's record, which as you have pointed out is OK. What I did say was, 90% are a waste of time and hardly benefit the club.

Look at our loan signings over the last 3 or 4 years and you could probably count on two hands those that have been succesful.

The quoting DP wasn't aimed at you. It was the person who was papping on about Penney's GMR interview, going on about how rubbish it is that he is considering the loan market in February. Wind your neck in and stop getting so precious.

90% are useless are they? Well it's nowhere near that percentage this season, we've done alright out of it. It's some of the chumps he has brought in on permanants, along with injuries and very questionable tactics which have got us where we are this season. Not loanees.

Yep, it's swings and roundabouts with loanees. Always has been, always will be. Of course one of the main aims is to build up fitness and to get match action, but don't you see how the state of football now dictates how many loanees you need. It's simply not good financial sense to build a 30 man squad of all permanent players on 1, 2 and 3 year contracts. It's just how all clubs lower than the Championship survive.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Yep, it's swings and roundabouts with loanees. Always has been, always will be. Of course one of the main aims is to build up fitness and to get match action, but don't you see how the state of football now dictates how many loanees you need. It's simply not good financial sense to build a 30 man squad of all permanent players on 1, 2 and 3 year contracts. It's just how all clubs lower than the Championship survive.

I don't really think a club in our division needs a 30 man squad and there aren't many players on 2 year contracts never mind 3.

Of course I realise the loan system is there to be utilised and due to financial restraints some clubs have to rely on it more than others but unfortunately the majority of loan players have no affinity with the club whatsoever and that's why some fans don't like them.