bidding war

Well you would leave, but you would also be fitting carpets exactly the same as if you stayed. In this case he'll leave and sit in the youths/stiffs for a few years and have to wait around until a string of injuries gives him a chance. It's hardly the same in any shape or form is it really? If he has the confidence in his own ability that he is good enough to go and make it then he should stay, play first team fotball and then move when the time is right. If he moves now I won't see it as being all about the money, i'd see it as him being scared that he isn't as good as other people think and that he'll get found out and miss his chance for a big move.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell him. No guarantee that he'll make it - could be another Danny Philliskirk or Scott Spencer. CASH IN!!!

Have to agree.

We are a club in need of cash, and £400k is a significant amount of money for us. Was not bowled over by Eaves from what I saw last season (though admit difficult to judge), he may be a world beater, or he may be another failed Latics youth player that doesn't do any better than an average lower league player.

Don't think we can afford to gamble - decent offer, and of he goes.

Well you would leave, but you would also be fitting carpets exactly the same as if you stayed. In this case he'll leave and sit in the youths/stiffs for a few years and have to wait around until a string of injuries gives him a chance. It's hardly the same in any shape or form is it really? If he has the confidence in his own ability that he is good enough to go and make it then he should stay, play first team fotball and then move when the time is right. If he moves now I won't see it as being all about the money, i'd see it as him being scared that he isn't as good as other people think and that he'll get found out and miss his chance for a big move.

Fair point, but I'm not sure 18 year old footballers,( or carpet fitters) are that smart.

We could do with him upfront. This Tounkara looks terrible.

He didn't look terrible...he just didn't look fit and had Goodison knocking into the back of him all game. Jury's open...the lad has played 1 game...

Still think us selling Eaves is crackers and why we're going backwards...we can't pay the wages for players from leagues above and we can't keep the decent kids coming through...oh and anyone who thinks OAFC will see a penny are deluded...will go straight into the pockets of Gazal and Blitz. Our budget is set...any surprises will go towards paying off the loans (despite the fact they'll recoup their money when BP is finally fully sold off...Failsworth or not)...

He looked nervous and his touch was pretty poor, as was his only shot and header. I'm not calling for him to be sent back.

Just still ticked off we have him instead of King Pav.

He looked useful to me, was getting about and didn't let his head drop. Oh, and his only shot apart from the certain goal cleared off the line in the 2nd half by Goodison.

He didn't look terrible...he just didn't look fit and had Goodison knocking into the back of him all game. Jury's open...the lad has played 1 game...

Still think us selling Eaves is crackers and why we're going backwards...we can't pay the wages for players from leagues above and we can't keep the decent kids coming through...oh and anyone who thinks OAFC will see a penny are deluded...will go straight into the pockets of Gazal and Blitz. Our budget is set...any surprises will go towards paying off the loans (despite the fact they'll recoup their money when BP is finally fully sold off...Failsworth or not)...

One of the rare times when i agree with you. :grin:

We should keep him, regardless of the offer - unless it is ridiculous money.

Eaves should look at other players who moved to a big team - and failed.

e.g. spencer - look where he is now. playing in league 2 i think? he was supposedly the next owen

at this time, we will aid his development better then any prem team, because we'll be able to give him the vital game time which he needs.

keep keep keep unless we get offered £1m+ upfront.

anyone else think he isnt that good :peepwall: ?

He was total crap in the friendly against Mossley but he is still a kid and learning the game. He has the world at his feet. Trouble is that by going to Bolton (wherever) he stands zero change of ever getting a game.

Todays mirror Bolton win the race for Eaves £230k :angry:

As much as £230k seems like a very specific figure, haven't we already turned down a bid of £250k from Blackpool?

Maybe this deal has the option of a loan back to us and better add-ons?

As much as £230k seems like a very specific figure, haven't we already turned down a bid of £250k from Blackpool?

or maybe its just more shiiite from the Mirror, i wont believe it until i read it in the Daily Sport.

I think it was £200k.

It has been confirmed that a number of clubs have expressed interest, so I cannot see in that time it has climbed merely from 200k to 230k , even with add ons.

Although it is right we pay the money back to Blitz and Gazal, a debt is a debt, I think there is a point at which we would get more benefit playing him and anything int he 200's should be considred. as it will only pay a tny fraction of the debt.

If you borow £20 from a mate, it does bug you the longer he does not pay it back, even if it is only £20

Any a significant payment will increase the chances of keeping the two TTA at arms length.

If they got 10% payment, of £300k, then that might just mean they do not need to press for any money.

To be honest, looking at things, (eg Mike Newton's involvment) I am sure some of the money will be debt eslewhere rather than Blitz's own personal money. Of course I could be wrong and am not caasting aspertins, just showing that getting some of the debt cleared off is a good thing.

anyone else think he isnt that good :peepwall: ?

It’s all about his potential with the lad – nothing he’s done so far (hat-trick included) has shown he a dead-cert to make it at the highest level. What he does have is the sheer physical attributes to suggest that with a hell of a lot of work (from coaches & from TE himself) he might have a chance. That’s what club’s are seeing; not his great 1st team scoring record built up over a season or 2 of starting games – it’s all about Eaves’ potential to be a good player in a few years.

A 6 figure sum for an 18 year striker without a senior goal to his name; with some realistic add-on’s on top of the flat fee and I’d have to say that I think it’s a good bit of financial business.

I do however agree with those how have said that the money will go know-where near the playing side of the club – think it’s pretty obvious that it’ll go into paying off the monies owed to Blitz & Gazal.....

Why have we been in League 1 for all these years? Here lies the problem!

you get young players coming through who are the future lifeblood of the club and they show some promise then you lose em and we end up going backwards, Hope the lad sees sense and sticks with P.D and Latics until he's fully fledged

Rubbish...

Oldham Athletic will always have to be a selling club to survive... Young, talented players will always go for money... We do not have the financial muscle to retain them...

The trick is to the use said money to get hold of players who are good but not good enough to be of interest to much bigger wealthy clubs... I am sure we can hold are own against clubs in the same league though when retaining players... To this respect, football has never changed... This is are lot in life...