Who do you Prefer?

Been having this conversation a couple of times recently...

as a latics fan (who shouldn't like either) who do you prefer out of the two manchester clubs?

i've been saying united because they tend to play the better football and i dont like how city have suddenly become a 'big club' because of the money but still play really boring italian football.

other fans i know though have been saying city though and by saying united, it's against latics...

so city or united?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been having this conversation a couple of times recently...

as a latics fan (who shouldn't like either) who do you prefer out of the two manchester clubs?

i've been saying united because they tend to play the better football and i dont like how city have suddenly become a 'big club' because of the money but still play really boring italian football.

other fans i know though have been saying city though and by saying united, it's against latics...

so city or united?

hate city with a passion. :shock:

I was chatting to a bloke at work ahead of the FA Cup semi-final and said it was a shame they couldn't both lose. But on the basis I presume the OP is aware we dislike both, but wants a preference, then I'll try to answer.

City:

Pros - we tend to have a good record against them so good that we can give them some stick; they are generally supported by locals to the area; they haven't won much; they have a tendency to provide moments that are "typical City" and therefore amusing (my personal favourite was the time wasting near the corner flag when they thought a point would keep them up); and some of the fans can laugh at themselves (not all though)

Cons - Despite not really being very good they have very arrogant supporters (much like Leeds United fans); now they have money some of them are unbearable; they are doing a "Chelsea" which is not great IMO; and despite all the money they play generally dull football.

Man Utd:

Pros - stuck with a British manager; for a period of time churned out homegrown English / British players of the highest quality; play generally great football; have an undeniably impressive ability to not know how to lose at times; and have managed to compete with the new money of Chelsea which is good for the game.

Cons - unbelievable arrogance of players/ manager / supporters; complain and moan to officials and everyone else; appear to get more than the lions share of decisions; what THAT goal did to us; generally (9.3.93 as the exception) give us a good beating; supporters from everywhere and anywhere; moving more and more towards buying foreign talent.

For me, I hate United more...just. But depending on how the money impacts on City, I can see that changing over the next few years.

Hate em both

City Fans: Most bitter horrible bunch of fans I have ever come across. They hate united moreso that they support their own team, and with some of them the United result is the first one they look for, rather than their own.

United Fans: Well, I would call them :censored:houses but I think that would offend even the worst :censored:house. Absolutely nowhere to be seen when they lose.

Me and my mates used to get around a lot of football grounds as kids.

Old Trafford, Maine Road, Boundary Park, Edgeley Park, Spotland and Moss Road.

United fans were always more bothered about how Liverpool were doing than themselves.

City fans always had to have a boo boy on their own side. Ray Ranson took some totally undeserved abuse.

County fans knew they were :censored:. Avoiding re-election was the measure of a good season.

Rochdale didn't have any fans, so nobody in the town knew they were :censored:.

Altrincham were potential world beaters. They never quite made it in to the league despite being the number one non-league side for many years.

Atmosphere wise I always found the Stretford End to be fantastic. I never felt it get going at Maine Road. Not sure it ever did at BP back then either. Memories of Stockport include an ancient bloke with an umbrella abusing linesmen every game. Mad Arthur. Brilliantly funny to watch. The football was anything but brilliant though.

To answer the question, United. Fergie did an official opening for me in 1997. A great half hour.

If a gun was being pointed at my head, Citeh. However, if things go tits up at OT, and Citeh spend mega bucks and win everything in sight and their fans react how many think they will I might change my mind.

As to why I chose Citeh, well I was "child-minded" by a die-hard family of City fans who kept going even when we were playing them in this league (I know as I went to the game at BP with them). I was always going to be either a City fan or an Oldham fan, my brother who isn't much of a football fan would say he supports City. Plus, OK their supporters can be c***s at times but they are mainly locals, the same cannot be said for United and quite frankly at the moment City haven't had the opportunity to be sanctimonious hypocritical pricks like United have been for the past 20 years.

"Oh Chelsea are buying the title, City are trying to buy the title"

"How much did you spend on on your first choice team? About £150 million isn't it"

Not to mention the hate I have for Fergie.

Occasionally you can meet a City fan who goes to games and is alright. Its a rarity to find that with the other lot.

I can't stand either of them. I don't prefer City. I just hate United more.

I can't stand how arrogant they both are. But the one thing that really annoys me about United fans (even more so than how utterly clueless they are) is how obsessed they are with everyone else other than themselves. In the last 20 years, no one has been even close to being as successful as them. Yet whenever you speak to their fans they are always going on about City/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal. And the songs they sing... they are always singing songs about others misfortune, when you would just think "why do they care about anyone else at all?" And that banner they have too. I mean, what the hell is all that about? Why do they care how much City have won in the past however long it is? Why don't they just concentrate on the amount they have won.

I can understand why City fans hate them so much. They are the absolute worst for gloating about anything and everything. If you had them lot reminding you at every possible opportunity that you hadn't won anything for a generation, then that must be horrible. That being said, I can't stand City and I hope that banner stays up for many more years yet.

They are both horrible. This question is like being asked "Where would you prefer to be kicked? Shins or Bollocks?"

They are both horrible. This question is like being asked "Where would you prefer to be kicked? Shins or Bollocks?"

Yeah. It's a bit like here's a :censored: sandwich. But here's a :censored: sandwich with salad on it.

I hate Citeh more. Always have done and this stems right back to the 80's when Oldham's rivalry was quite intense against them lot. Practically swamping our ground etc. I know United did similar in the 70's, but Citeh used to do it regularly when they were on a level playing field with us, and most people who went to watch us play at Maine Road back then should be able to understand where the deep lying hatred lies. A horrible place, made better by the fact that we usually won there, which was nice.

For me, the United hatred has just manifested itself since they started to win things, and in particularly when they beat us in the semi-final in 1994 after that goal. The semi-final in 1990, United fans on the whole weren't arrogant in the slightest, and after the 3-3 draw were quite respectful of 'little Oldham's' achievements that day, many a United fan shook Oldham fans hands in the alleys behind the Platt Lane end following the game. In contrast to Citeh fans trying to kick the :censored:e out of anyone in a royal blue scarf a year or two earlier in the same alleys.

My hatred for Citeh went into overdrive about ten years ago when I used to work at Booker Foodservice where the head shunter and vehicle logistics managers were bluenoses and horrible, arrogant wankers to boot. After they turfed us over 0-3 at Boundary Park whilst in the third division I was ready to blow, seeing their smug, patronising boat races in work the following days. Christ it were good when we got our revenge at Maine Road that season.

Being born and bred down in the midlands I'm often asked whether I prefer Villa or Birmingham. Same applies for these two as it does for United or City - they're just football clubs to me. As I like watching football then I'd watch them but I have no feelings towards them - negative or positive.

I'm still asked all the time why I'm an Oldham supporter despite having no connection to the club or the town. I have done so since the mid-80s, enjoyed the highs and the lows for the past 24 years but I'm only emotional about one club.

Wouldn't piss on either if they were on fire. If pushed, i'd say Citeh, by virtue of not being United...

I think i've seen people on here before who actually followed the Scum on the side. Embarrassing...

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

when people point that united also spent a lot of money, they forget that 75000 people paying on average £60 can buy a lot of players. whereas city just manage to scrape past half that amount, at a lower price. united have nothing to fear from the financial fair play rules, whereas citys owners wont be able to launder their terrorism money in such a way for much longer. when he eventually gets bored city will be so :censored:ed its untrue, cant wait...

when people point that united also spent a lot of money, they forget that 75000 people paying on average £60 can buy a lot of players. whereas city just manage to scrape past half that amount, at a lower price. united have nothing to fear from the financial fair play rules, whereas citys owners wont be able to launder their terrorism money in such a way for much longer. when he eventually gets bored city will be so :censored:ed its untrue, cant wait...

Major claim on owtb!

I thought they were wasting their oil money on a hobby rather than enriching their own people ... but hey!

The irony of a thread of people moaning about City and United on an Oldham board and many saying how they talk about others and not themselves seems to have been lost.

That said, I hate City and don't mind United.

My dad's pretty much a United fan and 2 out of my 3 best mates are. I've seen more United games than Latics games this season.

All teams have :censored: fans, I've met more annoying Oldham fans than I have United fans just by being around them more.