Cody Mcdonald

Posh chief slams Canaries price-tag

Norwich City, 12:21, July 6, 2011

Peterborough chairman Darragh McAnthony claims Norwich's £550,000-plus asking price for striker Cody McDonald is too high.

Posh are looking to bolster their ranks further having sold Craig Mackail-Smith to Brighton for £3.25million earlier in the week. And, having snapped up Nicky Ajose from Manchester United on Tuesday, they were hoping to sign McDonald from the Canaries.

However McAnthony feels the valuation placed on the player, who scored 25 goals and was voted player of the year while on loan at League Two club Gillingham last term, is unrealistic.

On McDonald, who has made 32 senior appearances for City, scoring five goals, McAnthony claimed on his Twitter site: "Have tried to buy CMD for 6 weeks. Norwich want over 550 grand. Don't think he has ever played for them. Good luck to them with that price."

http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/posh-chief-slams-canaries-price-tag-1235599.html

There was never any chance of us signing this guy permanently. I'm not really sure how anyone has convinced themselves that there was. The price tag though, if true, is ludicrous for a guy who's scored goals only in League Two.

Maybe, though if Posh want him, there could be bigger clubs in L1 who want him (or Championship) on loan.

he's rich with his comments about ridiculous price tage, CMS was good but never worth £3.25m...what the devil and all the cash they'll demand for Lewis and Boyd, didnt they get a daft amount for McClean as well???

I agree its too big amount for CMD, but surely with the funds theyve got they could snap him up for that price!

he's rich with his comments about ridiculous price tage, CMS was good but never worth £3.25m...what the devil and all the cash they'll demand for Lewis and Boyd, didnt they get a daft amount for McClean as well???

I agree its too big amount for CMD, but surely with the funds theyve got they could snap him up for that price!

Darragh Mc is a grade A-Co&k. Him, Barry Fry & Red Nose Jnr all deserve each other. They couldn’t make 1 decent bloke between them if they were chopped up & put back together again.

As for Posh wanting to buy him; it’s no surprise really. Goal scorers are always going to be in demand; be that goals in L2, L1 or Champ (& prem too!). He scored goals last season; lots of different types too; from headers, poachers goals to chips and tidy finishes etc....it draws attention. Champ clubs will be / have looked at him, so too will lots in L1 and L2.

I never thought we’d be looking to buy; not for 1 minute – he was always going to too expensive for us – but his price tag is slightly more than I would have placed him at; but I guess they can quote that as (a.) they’re now in the money land of the Prem and (b.) he’s got a year left and is in demand.

Whilst its more than I’d say he’s worth – I have a sneaky feeling someone will take him on at value; a Millwall or the like? (hope I’m wrong and we snare him on loan though!)

There was never any chance of us signing this guy permanently. I'm not really sure how anyone has convinced themselves that there was. The price tag though, if true, is ludicrous for a guy who's scored goals only in League Two.

How much did Nicky Maynard go for from Crewe? Didnt he only score goals at League 2? And Norwich are probably in a much better financial position which they have no need to sell players for below asking price

Like I said in t'other thread. He's apparently being offered a 3 year deal by Norwich, which probably paves the way for him to be shipped out on loan as I don't see him playing in the Premiership. He's out of contract next season so if no one will meet Norwich's valuation at the moment, then Norwich's best move is probably to give him the new deal, send him out on loan to a higher level (League One, Championship), hope he bangs them in and sell him next season.

How much did Nicky Maynard go for from Crewe? Didnt he only score goals at League 2? And Norwich are probably in a much better financial position which they have no need to sell players for below asking price

No, League One and over the course of two and a bit seasons. I'm not knocking McDonald; I think he'd be a great signing but Maynard was Championship-bound and, seemingly, McDonald is headed to League One, where Maynard had proven himself as a consistent goalscorer.

I think if we were going to get Cody McDonald he would of been here by now

I dunno, Norwich's first port of call would have been to try and sell him. There's a consensus that Norwich have valuated him too highyl, so now they may look to offer him out on loan. If they do, I can imagine we'll be among a LOT of other in the mix to get him.

I dont fancy our chances of signing Cody Mac and never did actually. Whether it be loan or permanent I would guess he was 1st choice and Donaldson 2nd. If we cant lure 2nd choice I really dont think we can lure 1st choice albeit I will be happy to be proven wrong.

I agree with McAnthony though, they are taking the piss with £550k for an unpoven player (he has only done it at league 2 level as yet)!

No panic I am sure PD will have other targets yet.

I would guess he was 1st choice and Donaldson 2nd. If we cant lure 2nd choice I really dont think we can lure 1st choice

That doesn't really hold water because it depends on personalities. Donaldson clearly went where the money is, he's 27, was out of contract and could have set himself up with a nice signing on fee, fair enough. Cody on the other hand being a few years younger may simply just have aspirations to play more, score more and get himself a bigger move further down the line. If he has to go out on loan to do that, he may be happy to do so. After all, it would still be a step up for him.

That doesn't really hold water because it depends on personalities. Donaldson clearly went where the money is, he's 27, was out of contract and could have set himself up with a nice signing on fee, fair enough. Cody on the other hand being a few years younger may simply just have aspirations to play more, score more and get himself a bigger move further down the line. If he has to go out on loan to do that, he may be happy to do so. After all, it would still be a step up for him.

I don't think that CD just went where the money is. Yes i'm sure he got more money than we were offering, but its not like he will be stuck in the reserves at Brentford. It seemed like a lot of clubs that were interested in Donaldson were based around this way and were hoping he didn't move far. In fact he commented that he wanted a change of scene and perhaps his head has been turned by the delights london have to offer. I know, last time I went to Brentford i met Greg Dyke and John Stapleton in one of the corner pubs. B)

He's 25 years old and didn't start playing professionally until 23 years old and you think money wont be important to him? So a chance to play 40 games at Latics earning maybe £1-£2k per week or playing 15 games at Peterborough earning say £4-£5k a week?

• 1 month later...

This mornings daily mirror reports that cody mcdonald is being lined up by mk dons to replace baldock who's signed for west ham.

You believe the Daily Mirror? Really? Oh well, I suppose they could be right. I still think we'll see at least two signing before the deadline. Fingers firmly crossed.