Ronnie Moore

The Vote  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will you send him to the sanctuary?

• Yes, what a donkey - send him down
    • No, you got it wrong - he was ace

Quality cliche merchant though, and there's no doubt about that. Even when we looked like the Dog and Duck (or the Rose and Crown) and it had all gone like Free Karno's Circus.

Neither pre nor post match press conferences were his speciality were they?

What was it he said last season when he was at Rotherham? Something about shooting all his players wasn't it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />Worse Latics manager ever, even when we won I left BP feeling like we'd lost. Shocking football, shocking attitude towards his players, shocking attitude towards us fans and the reason I don't have a season ticket anymore.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Why not, he stopped managing us a while back now!

Worse Latics manager ever, even when we won I left BP feeling like we'd lost. Shocking football, shocking attitude towards his players, shocking attitude towards us fans and the reason I don't have a season ticket anymore.

In terms of league position he wasn't, and he has been gone a while so why still the absence? I'm sorry there is no way this guy belongs on Blackpool beach, he might not have been the nicest guy in the world but he was ok here. I didn't really like him, but I hated Penney and some the dross he brought in. Let him retire with two legs and standing upstraight; :censored:-yes donkey-no.

Agree with many on here - he certainly wasnt the worst ever manager - no one can beat Mr Penney for that title as he drained all the life and soul out of the Latics and I for one aint been back since after 40+ years patronage.

With the team he had we should have sailed out of the division but the woefull tactics and grinding out hoofball wins meant going home depressed even after 3 points won !. Rotherham away in a midweek fixture put a tin hat on it for me - we got battered 3-0 IIRC and the roverum faithful were singing his name and he responded by waving to them all match but totally ignored the good sized Latics following behinfd the away goal. We played dire and hoofball ron showed his total clueless managerial skills and we capitulated. He again waved at the roverum fans at the final whistle and didnt have the decency to applaud the Oldham fans at all.Total knob. Also remember Barnsley away - think we drew the match and Andy Ritchie was their manager - cue massive applause from the travelling fans - Rons face was like thunder and he again never acknowledged the away support altho Andy Ritchie applauded both sets of fans. As I say, total knob - maybe not a donkey as such but a first class w**ker !

I was pretty indifferent to Ronnie’s spell here, but I’d like to give my take on his 15 months here. When he took over in March 2005 he inherited a team of kids, Hall, Griffin, Lomax etc Loanees,, KK, Hughes, shirkers and :censored:-bags sitting on lucrative deals – Holden, Appleby, Killen, JJ etc…Talbot had resigned himself to relegation and so had the squad seemingly – especially after eight straight defeats and this within weeks of beating Manchester City and pushing Bolton Wanderers all the way in the FA Cup. Ronnie steadied the ship, by instilling a steeliness in the team and also identifying that without a goalscorer we were going down as we simply could not rely on Killen to be out on the pitch week in week out. The owners and the Trust backed him and in came Beckett who helped us by the skin of our teeth to stay up.

That summer the board backed Ronnie (supposedly out of their own pockets but realistically from increased ST sales at a marked rise in price and also the money from 3 TV appearances, 3 Premier League Home Ties, and FA Cup prize money. He worked well in the market, signing real firepower in Lidds, Porter and Beckett again on loan. Wellens came in to supply the bullets and graft and experience came in the shape of Warne and Scott. To top it all he signed a leader in Swailes.

Add in a few more signings like Butcher and Day along with the culling of the deadwood of Appleby and Holden, later Killen and although we felt it would take time to gel the team was well capable of challenging. I met Ronnie in the IOM and had a couple of long conversations with him, I found him polite, accommodating and knowledgeable about the game, he knew what it took to get out of this league (it wouldn't be pretty) and in a sense I did agree with him. We started the season well, but the injuries snowballed with Beckett, Liddle, Swailes, Porter, Scott, Owen etc.. all missing massive chunks of the season and affecting the team. Add in to this Ronnie himself lost his dad weeks into the season and was having to cope with a new-born life was obviously tough for him. I think Ronnie himself would be first to admit we probably did under-achieve, (privately maybe, as publicly he claimed it was our best finish in years, even he must have known he was talking :censored:e) but 10th taking into account the year before and our injury problems was an ok finish.

Those that argue the football was :censored:e, are talking :censored:e yes it was more direct and there were a few horror shows like at Tranmere and Barnsley, the FA Cup replay v Brentford and Barnsley at home but there were some real highlights such as

The win at Swindon, the hammering of Chesterfield, the thriller v Bristol City, Porter’s hat-trick at Brentford, 9 points at Christmas, battering Forest 3-0, Beckett’s hat-trick v Blackpool and Wellens destroying Bradford in less than half-an hour. How Ronnie can be labeled as one of our worst manager’s ever I simply do not know.

The year after Shez took his team to the play offs and failed miserably, Ronnie would have cracked it I’m certain and not signed :censored:-loads of midfielders like Shez did, instead Beckett and Porter would have been back in tandem and shot us to promotion. Don’t forget McDonald was a Ronnie signing, he had signed a pre-contract with us before Ronnie left, it was Ronnie that identified Porter’s potential and gave Marc Tierney an extended run. Shez let Tierney leave for nowt in favour of re-signing Kelvin! Ronnie’s biggest error was his goalkeeper, but he rectified that with Grant and releasing Eyres. Oh and Ronnie gave Eardley and Taylor their debuts, the same 'supporters' :wink: that sang his name in the RRE were the same ones that voted with their feet yet still don’t go to games!

Edited by oafcprozac

Went from relegation certainties to missing out on the play offs in a year.

People bash on about the way we played football.... Apart from a spell from mid sept to jan of Shez's first season, we played some gash football under him too, to rival most under ronnie. Its just forgotten.

No donkey.

Went from relegation certainties to missing out on the play offs in a year.

People bash on about the way we played football.... Apart from a spell from mid sept to jan of Shez's first season, we played some gash football under him too, to rival most under ronnie. Its just forgotten.

No donkey.

Prozac has it absolutely spot on. There were some debarcles like Barnsley and Tranmere, but some gems too like Bradford and Forest.

I was pretty indifferent to Ronnie’s spell here, but I’d like to give my take on his 15 months here. When he took over in March 2005 he inherited a team of kids, Hall, Griffin, Lomax etc Loanees,, KK, Hughes, shirkers and :censored:-bags sitting on lucrative deals – Holden, Appleby, Killen, JJ etc…Talbot had resigned himself to relegation and so had the squad seemingly – especially after eight straight defeats and this within weeks of beating Manchester City and pushing Bolton Wanderers all the way in the FA Cup. Ronnie steadied the ship, by instilling a steeliness in the team and also identifying that without a goalscorer we were going down as we simply could not rely on Killen to be out on the pitch week in week out. The owners and the Trust backed him and in came Beckett who helped us by the skin of our teeth to stay up.

That summer the board backed Ronnie (supposedly out of their own pockets but realistically from increased ST sales at a marked rise in price and also the money from 3 TV appearances, 3 Premier League Home Ties, and FA Cup prize money. He worked well in the market, signing real firepower in Lidds, Porter and Beckett again on loan. Wellens came in to supply the bullets and graft and experience came in the shape of Warne and Scott. To top it all he signed a leader in Swailes.

Add in a few more signings like Butcher and Day along with the culling of the deadwood of Appleby and Holden, later Killen and although we felt it would take time to gel the team was well capable of challenging. I met Ronnie in the IOM and had a couple of long conversations with him, I found him polite, accommodating and knowledgeable about the game, he knew what it took to get out of this league (it wouldn't be pretty) and in a sense I did agree with him. We started the season well, but the injuries snowballed with Beckett, Liddle, Swailes, Porter, Scott, Owen etc.. all missing massive chunks of the season and affecting the team. Add in to this Ronnie himself lost his dad weeks into the season and was having to cope with a new-born life was obviously tough for him. I think Ronnie himself would be first to admit we probably did under-achieve, (privately maybe, as publicly he claimed it was our best finish in years, even he must have known he was talking :censored:e) but 10th taking into account the year before and our injury problems was an ok finish.

Those that argue the football was :censored:e, are talking :censored:e yes it was more direct and there were a few horror shows like at Tranmere and Barnsley, the FA Cup replay v Brentford and Barnsley at home but there were some real highlights such as

The win at Swindon, the hammering of Chesterfield, the thriller v Bristol City, Porter’s hat-trick at Brentford, 9 points at Christmas, battering Forest 3-0, Beckett’s hat-trick v Blackpool and Wellens destroying Bradford in less than half-an hour. How Ronnie can be labeled as one of our worst manager’s ever I simply do not know.

The year after Shez took his team to the play offs and failed miserably, Ronnie would have cracked it I’m certain and not signed :censored:-loads of midfielders like Shez did, instead Beckett and Porter would have been back in tandem and shot us to promotion. Don’t forget McDonald was a Ronnie signing, he had signed a pre-contract with us before Ronnie left, it was Ronnie that identified Porter’s potential and gave Marc Tierney an extended run. Shez let Tierney leave for nowt in favour of re-signing Kelvin! Ronnie’s biggest error was his goalkeeper, but he rectified that with Grant and releasing Eyres. Oh and Ronnie gave Eardley and Taylor their debuts, the same 'supporters' :wink: that sang his name in the RRE were the same ones that voted with their feet yet still don’t go to games!

Excellent post.

Sadly Ronnie didn't seem too bothered by the beautiful game and for large chucks the entertainment lacking, which cost him his job in the end which for the same reason I wasn't too bothered about.

Not a Donkey, but not a great manager either.

The first half of that season was a real dissapointment but with 6 games left hadn't he not got us into the play offs and then it went pear shaped? You could argue had those final few games gone his way he would have kept his job.

As Pukka mentioned above the fact he wasn't an ex player from the pinch me era probably didn't help him here. This was looked on with scorn by the same fans who pine for a return of Andy Ritchie as manager, the man who took us to the dizzy heights of 20th 14th and 15th of this same league we have been trying to get out of for the last 14 years, no manager since Ritchie has been given 3 full seasons to achieve anything since.

He is not our worst manager of the last 20 years infact Dave Penney and Graeme Sharpe are way out ahead of him, but he is a genuine pantomine villan as the grief he gave and took from the fans in his post Latics career makes him. So while I kind of want to say yes, the pragmatist in me says he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip so I'm going to say no.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Chasetown away and his treatment of Pogs need adding to his list. Awful.

Throwing the towel in at Brentford, unforgivable.

I didn't have any agenda other than he wasn't the right man and it turned out he was a right royal prick to boot.

I have never, and still don't get this kept us up stuff. We stayed up on the last day of the season by a point. It was hardly a fabulous turn around was it? I thought Talbot could have kept us up the same way, but hypothesis and opinion and all that.

Our worst manager? Probably not, but in my humble he did have the best squad in donkeys; excuse the pun.

Personally, such is my dislike I would open a :censored: sanctuary for him; though in these times of austerity he will have to make do with the donkey sanctuary.

I'm hoping he gets mucking out.

Derek.

This was looked on with scorn by the same fans who pine for a return of Andy Ritchie as manager, the man who took us to the dizzy heights of 20th 14th and 15th of this same league we have been trying to get out of for the last 14 years, no manager since Ritchie has been given 3 full seasons to achieve anything since.

Ritchie's league finishes don't look good, but I think we had probably the worst squad I can remember at that time and NO money to improve it.

Under Moore and some cash Stich had a good start to the season, and was sacked whilst we were still in the play-off spots IIRC.

So perhaps some people think that given time with a decent amount of funds / players Ritchie may have achieved more that season?

Persoanlly I don't think Ritchie was / is good manager material, and the fact that he never got to the point where he was being 'booed' or listening to chants for him to go, is probably a good thing. A Latics Legend in every sense of the word.

Ritchie's league finishes don't look good, but I think we had probably the worst squad I can remember at that time and NO money to improve it.

Under Moore and some cash Stich had a good start to the season, and was sacked whilst we were still in the play-off spots IIRC.

So perhaps some people think that given time with a decent amount of funds / players Ritchie may have achieved more that season?

Persoanlly I don't think Ritchie was / is good manager material, and the fact that he never got to the point where he was being 'booed' or listening to chants for him to go, is probably a good thing. A Latics Legend in every sense of the word.

I'd agree with that but don't think Ritchie did an awful lot wrong while he was Latics manager. He kept a dreadful squad in this division and made a few fantastic signings - David Eyres, John Sheridan and Chris Armstrong.

All square, after four days of voting.

ahhhh Bollocks!!!

There must be loads on here who have experienced his wifes selling for them to vote for him.

Horrible, horrible runt.

C'mon 1 more vote to send him to the sanctuary then close the poll - use democratic powers to it's fullest.

No-one hates it more than me when I hear Latics fans with ideas above our station (it gives off many bad vibes) and for us to finish in the top 10 is an achievement, plus he brought in some decent players

BUT

His Achilles heel for me were his tactics, the ugly Football was good against the lesser teams, but against the better sides his rigid tactics were found out (most notably Huddersfield, Barnsley and Forest away) because they stopped the service to the strikers by cutting out the long balls. Although every manager we've had since Joe Royle had a flaw therefore he's not bad enough for the sanctury just a mediocre Lower League Manager in my eyes

Although every manager we've had since Joe Royle had a flaw therefore he's not bad enough for the sanctury just a mediocre Lower League Manager in my eyes

I agree with the second part, but lets not make Joe Royle out to be perfect.

Granted - the best manager I have ever seen at Latics by a long (long) chalk, but Joe did have his flaws. When we had some reasonable cash after he did make some dodgey signings - 750k for Ian Olney?

Back OT Seems as though there is now enough of a margin to think the poll is done and dusted. Not sure its the right outcome personally though