Celebrities who've claimed to support Latics in the past

following on from Diego's Inspiral Carpets thread, there have been quite a few people over the years who've claimed to of supported Latics, I remember Mark Owen of Take That doing a piece for Match of the Day live before we played Bolton in the FA Cup, plus I read something the other day about Professor Brian Cox swaping his season ticket with Latics for one at Old Trafford. I'm sure there's been plenty of others over the years mentioned, I mean obviously these people are free to do what they want, but there is a part of me who thinks if we started doing well again and these people jumped back on the bandwaggon and wanted free tickets I hope the club will turn round and say NO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

following on from Diego's Inspiral Carpets thread, there have been quite a few people over the years who've claimed to of supported Latics, I remember Mark Owen of Take That doing a piece for Match of the Day live before we played Bolton in the FA Cup, plus I read something the other day about Professor Brian Cox swaping his season ticket with Latics for one at Old Trafford. I'm sure there's been plenty of others over the years mentioned, I mean obviously these people are free to do what they want, but there is a part of me who thinks if we started doing well again and these people jumped back on the bandwaggon and wanted free tickets I hope the club will turn round and say NO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2011/mar/25/brian-cox-summary-live-session

AndrewTurner

Hi Brian

Manchester United or Oldham Athletic?

BrianCox

1:32pm

@AndrewTurner I was a season ticket holder at Oldham in the glory years. Andy Richie, Ricky Holden, Neil Adams. Don't get to Boundary Park much any more sadly

Eric Sykes was once on the board of directors wasn't he?

No, but he agreed to be some sort of ambassador for us. ie dropping our name on telly etc. but I never saw or heard him doing it. John Stapleton used to support us quite a bit, don't know if he still does.

I once saw Eric Morcambe and Ray Alan the ventriloquist when we played at Notts County years ago. Not sure who they were supporting.

No, but he agreed to be some sort of ambassador for us. ie dropping our name on telly etc. but I never saw or heard him doing it. John Stapleton used to support us quite a bit, don't know if he still does.

I once saw Eric Morcambe and Ray Alan the ventriloquist when we played at Notts County years ago. Not sure who they were supporting.

John Stapleton claimed to be a Latic, in fact he was once spotted at QPR telling anyone who'd listen he was a blue….he was right. Shortly after he was professing his love for the blue half of Manchester.

John Stapleton used to go to Latics and City and although some on here will no doubt regard that as sacrilege having a few fans who still did that would help no end.

His Mum was my reception class teacher back in 1966.

John Stapleton was 1 of 7 Oldham fans sitting down when we beat Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge in 93, (my Dad and I were 2 of the other 7). He appeared on a tv quiz show as an Oldham fan, I think we were in the first division (now the Championsip) then. Not long after we went down to this division is when he really "became" a Citeh fan.

Frankly he only supported Oldham when we were good and he wasn't that famous.

Some listed here; go to League One, Oldham Athletic.

http://ffsp.railwayinn.me.uk/

I think we ought to get this local boy to some games, he's on £4 million a year and would be handy joining the board of directors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Walsh_(businessman)

(click on his highlighted name for further info)

Edited by BP1960

This gem from Wikipedia;

Terry Hall (ventriloquist) sadly passed away in 2007;

In spite of the fact that Hall was a staunch Oldham Athletic fan, during the 1957/58 English football season, Hall took Lenny the Lion to The Den which was then the home of Millwall Football Club and allowed Lenny to pose with his "Fellow Lions" for publicity shots, much to the delight of all present in the ground.

Edited by BP1960

This gem from Wikipedia;

Terry Hall (ventriloquist) sadly passed away in 2007;

In spite of the fact that Hall was a staunch Oldham Athletic fan, during the 1957/58 English football season, Hall took Lenny the Lion to The Den which was then the home of Millwall Football Club and allowed Lenny to pose with his "Fellow Lions" for publicity shots, much to the delight of all present in the ground.

Talking of grabbing media attention at Millwall, there were also two Latics-supporting California Girls, who became legends in their own lunchtime. B)

Who was that bloke in East Enders, who was a Latics fan? IIRC people were mithering him (in the nicest possible way) at half-time in the Gents at Loftus Road. :lol:

If its the same chap i'm thinking of he played the landlord of the Queen Vic.His characters name was Eddie Royale I think ?

Sat near him at Spurs once...Think it was the 5-1 match.

Edited by philwhite

John Stapleton claimed to be a Latic, in fact he was once spotted at QPR telling anyone who'd listen he was a blue….he was right. Shortly after he was professing his love for the blue half of Manchester.

He was at Brentford away last season so might have a bit of proper blue still in him.

Edited by jorvik_latic

I remember in the late 80's some ginger haired actress from Corrie or could have been Brookside in the boxes.

Reminds me of Carol Decker from T'pau.....damn it

Got it.....Sally Ann Mathews....

Think she had her eyes on Tommy Wright.

Edited by underdog