Does Tonight Change Your Opinion?

For those who were there will have seen Oldham put in a great, determined performance and get a good victory in the JPT.

With all this would it persuade any of those who didn't go for various reasons to attend the next round?

I was at Scunthorpe in the first round because it was made clear that we want to win this trophy this season. I witnessed a great game at Glanford and tonight I saw some fantastic football and for half the price of what dross i saw against Bury in the league!

I fully understand that most seasons it is classed as a shocking cup but for some reason i really believe we can get to Wembley - which would give the club a massive boost. Next round draw is on Saturday, i'm not bothered who we get - home or away we can beat anyone left in this competition.

Edited by oafckev

No would have rather us won on Saturday than tonight,the real goal is getting out of this league,The JPT will always be a tin pot cup.

Tin pot cup maybe but a trip to Wembley and the windfall that goes with it could enable us to finance our way out of this division. Don't forget it was a cup run that got it all started during the Royle era....Deja vu???

As losing finalists Carlisle made over £500k from the competition last season, made up of gate receipts, prize money, and merchandising. Winning the final showpiece at Wembley this season is worth almost £100k......it could be the difference between enduring another season in this crap division or a promotion campaign and all that goes with it!!

No change for me.

Always felt it should be taken seriously.

1) Success breeds success, so even if it's not important in the great scheme of things it breeds a winning discipline.

2) Other sides don't take it seriously - so the chance of winning it is greater.

3) So many other winners go on to get promnoted the following season (please don't reference back Luton and Wrexham :wink: ).

And a "feelgood" buzz around the club wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by opinions4u

it's hard for me to make Tuesday night games, but I'm pretty sure I'd go to the semi's if it's Bradford I'd simply have to go as I live with a Bradford fan. Does anyone know when the semi-finals will be?

Same here. You wouldn't think it would be impossible to get from Boundary Park to Liverpool on public transport after a night match....but it is.

As losing finalists Carlisle made over £500k from the competition last season, made up of gate receipts, prize money, and merchandising. Winning the final showpiece at Wembley this season is worth almost £100k......it could be the difference between enduring another season in this crap division or a promotion campaign and all that goes with it!!

/\

No change for me - I always go to JPT games; as they don't exactly break the bank and well, to support the team.

Last night was great entertainment. Crewe look to play the game the right way, and technically were very good players. It meant we also played it more on the deck than we have seen at times this season. Some of the interchange between Furman and the front 4 was top-draw. We also pressed as a unit and had bite about us; without crossing the line into dirty.

I haven't ever understood certain fans apathy with this competition. I'm all for it. I've actually been really fooked off in recent seasons that we haven't appeared to take it fully seriously - it's a realistic chance to turn the clubs fortunes around IMO, a chance for a trip to Wemberly & a chance to see Latics lift a trophy, something a large chunk of our younger fan base won't have seen us do before.

The 'it cost us money' & 'it’s a tin pot competition' arguments simply just don't fly with me. As the figures show - if you reach the final, you're more than reimbursed for what you've spent. A Cup win is a cup win; 'tin pot' (which it isn't) or not.

Here's one for those who constantly knock this competition. If (I know, long way to go yet) we reach the final; would you go? If we won, would you celebrating? The answer surely has to be Yes to both those??

I'm sure we'd actually take a decent crowd down to London if we got the final - Diego's much talked about "stay-a-ways" would surely come out of the woodwork and come down, and I'm sure plenty of mates of mates would also make the trip; lads who are 'armchair Reds or Blues' normally. If we play well & win - chances are good number will come back to watch more games. Surely that's a win win situation?

Take this Cup seriously - the side are this season; so too should the fans!

Hated the competition before the game last night, hate it still.

The only way to qualify for this competition is to be :censored: and be in the bottom 2 divisions, if we were in the Championship we wouldn't have to play in this constant nagging reminder that we are 3rd division.

I've seen some great goals in the competition, Eyres from the half way line, Scapuzzi last night, some awful penalties, Alessandra! And got frozen toes for nothing. If we got to Wembley I'd drag myself down but would not be clamouring for an open top bus parade if we did win the pot

I'm sure we'd actually take a decent crowd down to London if we got the final - Diego's much talked about "stay-a-ways" would surely come out of the woodwork and come down, and I'm sure plenty of mates of mates would also make the trip; lads who are 'armchair Reds or Blues' normally. If we play well & win - chances are good number will come back to watch more games. Surely that's a win win situation?

Take this Cup seriously - the side are this season; so too should the fans!

I was in conversation with two separate people in Oldham yesterday, and explaining the format of the JPT. Neither of them go to BP anymore, but as soon as the word "Wembley" was mentioned, they both proclaimed that they would be there. I look forward to getting one of them to save me queueing for tickets for the Final.

I understand the view that the league has to be the priority, and fully understand beag_teets view too, one which I partially share.

but on the other hand, being brutally honest with orselves, Latics are probably not going to make the playoffs this season, and thats taking into account their squad and the squads of the better teams in the division. The league table doesn't lie, and whilst we may be capable of beating the better teams on a one off game, over the course of 46 games they will come out better.

As much as the JPT may be a tinpot trophy and a constant reminder of being in a :censored:ty division, a trip to wembley will no doubt be morale boosting for Latics, the fans and the town, and would definitely generate some much needed publicity from the club. As well as the money we may get from the competition, maybe it will put a couple of hundred onto the average gate?

May be a tinpot trophy, but its a tinpot trophy we have a chance of winning.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

If your in it , it is worth trying to win it.

If we lost in the Northern final you would see how gutted most fans would be even those that don't like the cup.

However , if we did get to Wembley wouldn't it be great to see all those 25,000 die hards that go every week enjoy the day out they deserve !!!!!!!!!!!

If we go out in first round - I dont care. I'd rather do that than get to this next one / further and lose. After games without a win including the carlisle second half performance I think getting back to winning ways is the most important thing... but that can be a springboard.

Now we are this far, lets just win it.

I understand the view that the league has to be the priority, and fully understand beag_teets view too, one which I partially share.

but on the other hand, being brutally honest with orselves, Latics are probably not going to make the playoffs this season, and thats taking into account their squad and the squads of the better teams in the division. The league table doesn't lie, and whilst we may be capable of beating the better teams on a one off game, over the course of 46 games they will come out better.

As much as the JPT may be a tinpot trophy and a constant reminder of being in a :censored:ty division, a trip to wembley will no doubt be morale boosting for Latics, the fans and the town, and would definitely generate some much needed publicity from the club. As well as the money we may get from the competition, maybe it will put a couple of hundred onto the average gate?

May be a tinpot trophy, but its a tinpot trophy we have a chance of winning.

my thoughts exactly I freely admit that in the past I've not really cared much for the JPT/LDV etc, but in recent season with there being some better off clubs appearing in this Division it's been harder for us to compete for the play-offs. Nothing has angered me more about the club than the apathy of the town towards it's own Football clubs, but I do think that if we do get to Wembley it's a great opportunity to show these people why there is a club well worth supporting.

my thoughts exactly I freely admit that in the past I've not really cared much for the JPT/LDV etc, but in recent season with there being some better off clubs appearing in this Division it's been harder for us to compete for the play-offs. Nothing has angered me more about the club than the apathy of the town towards it's own Football clubs, but I do think that if we do get to Wembley it's a great opportunity to show these people why there is a club well worth supporting.

Winning the JPT can be a springboard for further success. Apart from Wrexham and Luton Town who were having financial problems and points deductions at the time they won the trophy the clubs who have recently won this trophy have gone onto bigger and better things.

Blackpool

Swansea City

Doncaster Rovers

Southampton

whilst MK Dons are challenging for promotion from this league currently.

I'm sure there are other factors why these clubs have progressed, new stadiums etc but being serious and winning this trophy and can be positive for the club in future seasons.

Do fans think this trophy is beneath a club like ours? We've been competing in it for well over a decade now so I'd sadly say not. I don't think Warnock helped fans opinions when he didn't even turn up to manage our first game in this competition.

Last night was great entertainment, great performance and result. That should be all that matters really?

Winning the JPT can be a springboard for further success. Apart from Wrexham and Luton Town who were having financial problems and points deductions at the time they won the trophy the clubs who have recently won this trophy have gone onto bigger and better things.

Blackpool

Swansea City

Doncaster Rovers

Southampton

whilst MK Dons are challenging for promotion from this league currently.

I'm sure there are other factors why these clubs have progressed, new stadiums etc but being serious and winning this trophy and can be positive for the club in future seasons.

Do fans think this trophy is beneath a club like ours? We've been competing in it for well over a decade now so I'd sadly say not. I don't think Warnock helped fans opinions when he didn't even turn up to manage our first game in this competition.

Last night was great entertainment, great performance and result. That should be all that matters really?

I will be interesting to see how Warnock treats the F.A Cup, wouldn't it be ironic if Latics met QPR at home in the 3rd round ?