Alan Hardy Retires

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2547462,00.html

Say what you like about the man, or some of his decisions. But he certainly put the hours in and he IS a Latics fan.

Only ever saw him a couple of times when he passed us by at away games but he'd always said hi to us in a friendly way and came across very well (yeah I know, the devil's greatest trick etc.)

His years of service to our club have been absolutely outstanding and he's earned my utmost respect for the time he's given to Latics.

I wish him a very happy and stress free retirement.

Thank you Alan.

EDIT: Just read that he's been battling cancer, all the very best with your fight against it Alan.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

i'd like to wish Alan all the very best in his retirement, Alan has been a massive ambassador for Oldham Athletic and i'm really greatful for all he has done for the Latics, I wish him all the very best on his recovery and hope to see him on match days giving the lads a cheer.

All the very best from me and All at Chaddy Park FC....

Only had a few dealings with him but was always so helpful and came across as a top bloke! There wont be many pro clubs you could get a swift reply to an email / phonecall from the chief exec!

As has already been said, i knew he was ill, but didn't realise the severity of it!

Hope you get well Alan and enjoy retirement!

When I have met him which his only once or twice he came across as a top bloke and first and foremost an Oldham fan. Would love to him given some sort of honoury position within the club, obviously with no work involved but he deserves some sort of reward from the club. Other than an article on the site and in programme, at the very least let him say goodbye on the pitch and give him the send off he has earned.

I've criticised Alan's methods in the past but only because like him, I wanted the best for the club. It was never personal and i've always gone on record to praise the amount of work and hours he has put in at Oldham Athletic. He deserves recognition for the courtesy he afforded people in contacting people personally, often by telephone and on more than one occasion he has helped me personally. He was always willing to chat and would always acknowledge you. I'm sad the new ground or renovations have not come to fruition before his retirement, but when it does happen we should doft our cap to the amount of work he has done on this too, often in the background with little recognition. I know we have a laugh and a joke, and I have personally given him the nickname Darth Hardy but it has always been in jest and the man should be recognised for his devotion to his post.

At the end of the day Alan is a husband, a father and I believe a grandfather - that's what is important now, getting well for himself and his family. Football at the end of the day is a game, his illness isn't a game but if he shows the same commitment and attitude to hard work he showed whilst at Oldham Athletic, this horrible disease will be beaten.

Good Luck to you Alan and thank you for everything you have done for Oldham Athletic. You will be a hard act to follow, hope to see you around Boundary Park again very soon!

IMO - he has got a lot of unfair stick. He always gave 100% for the club. Always willing to talk and help if he can.

All the best Alan, hopefully you'll be sat in the posh seats at Wembley in March as Dean Furman lifts the Paint pot trophy.

I hope this thread is forwarded to the club.

I've known about this illness for a while and did expect him to step down soon, just didn't think it would be so soon.

Anyone who knows me is aware how highly I respect Alan, always fought for me when I had problems and always put the club first.

A true gent who will be greatly missed.

Enjoy the retirement Alan :)

dscf0013lj.jpgalan was alway's the top man at latics for me and always replied to my emails and had time to talk to me on the phone and sent me programmes and latics shirts etc , i also knew about his illness and his battle with cancer, i wish alan all the best and i hope he now can take it easy and enjoy his retirement and spend time with his family . i thank alan for his service to the club you carn't get a more loyal servant to latics than alan

I share the sentiments of most on this board.

Alan always had his knockers, after all, you will never please everybody all of the time, particularly in a club environment where each has his own opinion on how things should be done.

I can only comment on my own dealings with him. A true gent, with time for all. e mails and queries always answered honestly and promptly. No one on the outside of the club really knows the dedication he showed to his job.

On a matchday, did he kick back and enjoy a glass of port with the visiting dignitaries - not a chance. Was he busy dishing out the hot pot? - of course he was. Was he making sure everyone had what they wanted - of course he was.

Well done Alan - 30 years + great service to the club.

Good luck for the future.

Good luck Alan.

The man has done just about every role at BP at some point and has, in my opinion, always done what's best for the club. He will be sorely missed.

I can't imagine we'll get rid of him that easily though, I would have thought he will still be around the club as he's never been able to keep away so far!

As has been said before his health is the most important thing and good luck to him on that front too.

What a servant to the club Alan has been. 31 years dedicated to the club he loves so much means he will be missed. I bet he won't go missing though; he'll be there as a spectator as much as possible, I'm sure. I only met Alan personally just the once and received a lovely letter from him when I wrote to the club in the dark days of 2004. One thing shone through; Alan is a real gent and Latics to his core.

Beat this horrible illness, Alan, and enjoy a long and healthy retirement. I agree with those who have said he should be honoured on the pitch but, somehow, I'm not sure that's Alan's style. Tell you what the club could do though. Get that Broadway stand rebuilt asap and call it The Alan Hardy Stand.

Edited by Bristolatic