Aside from Latics, do you like club football?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from Latics, do you like club football?

• Yes, love the sport
    • It's alright, not mad on it
    • Not as much as I used to
    • Couldn't care less, if it ain't Latics, it ain't worth knowing about!

Just wondering, in general, do you really care for football aside from Latics and their affairs.

Obviously, we all support Oldham, but I really don't care what happens in the Premier League or Champions League and if I'm honest, it completely bores me.

I don't like Man U/Citeh winning if I'm honest, but I don't care too much really about them.

I just care what happens on the pitch Latics are playing on.

I like playing, and I look for the results of a few teams, but I don't really keep tabs on what's going on in the wider football world. I'll watch the odd European game if they're on terrestrial telly and Masterchef isn't on.

Option two or three on the poll. Prolly three.

Yes I love it, but I do wish it wasn't so money orientated and I can't stand a few of things about the modern game such as people who claim to support a team via TV (which now appears to be socially acceptable), people who want to scrap relegation, all seater stadia, ticket prices, 2nd rate foreigners denying young English players an opportunity. But it is the beautiful game, nothing unites people more and I've made many a good friendship through talking about the game (mostly with people who actually go to games)

Gone off it over the last few years. I've got MOTD on series record but usually just delete it now unless something worth seeing happens, I watched the highlights of the utd and chelsea games last night, flicked through the rest till I saw a goal then rewound it. Just doesn't hold much interest for me.

I used to love football in all forms but only interested in Oldham now.

I lost interest in international football after the 2010 World Cup. My interest in the Premier League waned when I stopped playing Fantasy Football but it all feels a bit false to me. I'm fed up of the media, the players, the managers and even the fans. I'd maybe watch the Champions League final if I had nothing else to do.

I used to jump at any opportunity to watch football but yesterday, a Watford-supporting uncle asked me if I wanted to watch Blackpool v Watford with him and I couldn't bring myself to go. Nothing to do with the cost (was a reasonable £19) but I just wasn't interested.

Edited by bossrocks

I think in the past football on tv used to be an event now with that many games on tv so their is a danger of saturation

I will watch the PL and the CL would like to see England do well but its not something I worry about too much I watch this type of football if its on tv and is something thats on in the background while im sat infront of my laptop

What matters to me is league 1 and Latics.

I follow it pretty closely, but that is a mixture of general interest in sport (my Mum used to say I'd watch two flys walk up a window if someone told it was sport) and even with the over paid, TV impacted nature of it, sport can still generate amazing drama..

And...

The fact that I have friends and family that support teams across the spectrum and I follow to know how they are getting on - means I can rub them when doing badly, talk to them etc etc

Loved it as a kid. Lived in Stockport, so saw County on many a Friday night, but the 400 bus service gave the chance to get to Bolton, Bury, Rochdale and Oldham for just 20p return. So there was always a match to go to. Maine Road and Old Trafford also got a regular look-in.

Work got in the way a bit, but still loved it even if I didn't get to many games.

Got married, still loved it. Still went to some games.

Did the breeding thing. Got really skint. Gave up on the game. Checked the scores for a few of the teams I'd seen regularly, but that's all. Family first, always.

The result of the breeding got older. The income went up. Took the plunge after a couple of cheap pre-Christmas fixtures in 2006 and bought half-season tickets for me and o4u Jr on the back of it.

Been hooked ever since.

If it's on telly, I watch it. Premier League, Linfield v Crusaders or anything in between. Love the game.

Edited by opinions4u

Used to be football-mad. These days, I think it's only my Fantasy Football team that keeps me having any interest in life outside of League One

Likewise. The only reason I do that is so I can watch MOTD and have a ridiculous grin when a Swansea winger grabs an assist.

I love football,Latics every home game & as many away games as I can,more this season with there being more northern teams in our division.I went to see Fleetwood play when Gregan made his debut as Latics were away & would probably go again just to get my footy fix.I also manage a Sunday team so you can say the whole weekend & some nights in-between is devoted to football.

That said,I couldn't give a shiny :censored: about the England team with it's overpaid,overhyped,bed-hopping "stars"

slowly falling out of love with the game mainly due to being unable to afford to go anymore .

keep up with latics here etc have a soft spot for Stalybridge Celtic due to my brothers support also follow Arboath as there my partners home town team

not realy bothered about the prem etc as long as niether manc club wins it

England expect nothing more that failure to be honest

plan to be at Anfield if i can get a ticket does this make me a "day tripper "

could be a great weekend for me if tics and Arbroath win what a double that would be !

I dont like the way in which club football has gone so money orientated and that becoming a bigger issue than footballing success alone. However, I am interested in it because I have friends/family all over the country who support different teams and also different levels of rivalries to.

However, going back to the money, its becoming less and less a competitive sport and more and more a rich list. My interest will probably be linked to how long Oldham can remain competitive.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I do love football, but wouldn't pay to watch a match that didn't involve Latics or England.

I do watch games on TV as I do love the sport, but I certainly don't care about the results of matches apart from Latics and England.

I watch MOTD as much to check on my Fantasy football team as much as anything else.

Edited by Hometownclub

pretty much just latics now.

sick of the hype that surrounds england who are no better than average at world level

and premier league is just so overblow it drowns out everything else sports wise

prefer boxing these days football is just full of prima donnas

That has to be a wind up surely! Football is over hyped so you watch the most hyped sport on the planet! If ever a sport had been utterly destroyed (at the top level at least) by money then it has to be boxing.

Take a bow Don King.

When I first got into football, up to the age of 18 (and leaving home to go off to Uni) I would watch any football I could, any team, any age, any gender, any level. I was a bit of a Prozac - I knew everything fact-wise. I found that going away to Uni, and having no telly, newspapers, and being too busy being hung over to check scores, meant I lost touch with pretty much all football - I went to Latics matches (after being a ST holder for the previous 6 years, attending reserve and youth team matches, as well as about 8 first team away matches a season) over Christmas and Easter.

I wasn't that bothered. I got out of the habit, if you will.

It was the Dowie Playoff season that really reignited my interest - it was exciting to look out for our scores, and attend as many games as I could. It was only then I remembered what I was missing for the 4/5 years I was out of touch. That passion has remained. Passion for any football other than Latics 1st team games has not returned - I just don't care. My brother's a red, and he'll start a conversation with me about United's latest performance / score / star player. He just expects me to know. And I don't know. Or care.

Same with England. It bores me, and I don't have a clue who the players are.

In Club football, I feel like a lot of my apathy is down to the money, which has a knock-on effect to my team's ability to compete any more. I don't even have the slightest idea about other teams in our division! I'm happy in my little Latics bubble.

I love it but I'm not watching international after the Brasil world cup. That qatar fiasco is an absolute joke, and russia. really winds me up that a country which you can see from america has been awarded the world cup on behalf of europe.

Edited by Monty Burns

Could'nt give a monkeys about football other than "Latics" not even England. We dont have a tele so only watch goal highlights of "Latics" games on the computer. My boss is Yorkshire born and bred and thinks he supports Arsenal ( signed shirt on his office wall) but he has never been to a game not even when they play up in this neck of the woods ie Newcastle/ Sunderland/ Boro and he is typical of your modern day football club admirer/ hanger on / glory hunter. They are more than happy just to SAY they support xxxxxxxxxx sign of the times I know but very sad indeed.

I just love the game, although Latics has been my passion since I was 5 years old. I can't walk through a park on a Sunday without watching a match. If it's on TV, I'll watch it, no matter who's playing. Thing is, with the extended family you get with a second marriage, there's a right old selection of clubs they support, so I always look out for the results and progress for Portsmouth, West Ham, Ipswich, Hull, Newcastle, Chelsea. All after Latics, of course. And none of those family members are just TV supporters. They actually go to games. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Macclesfield and Shrewsbury, but I'll keep the reasons to myself, if that's OK.