Smaller Squad, but higher quality

Dunno. Would the opposite approach have seen us in the relegation zone now? It's very difficult to say but we have been unfortunate with injuries. Next game we'll likely be missing two of our three first team centre backs, our regular left back and covering left-back, both first choice central midfielders, a first choice winger and our best attacking player. It's difficult to gets results with a small squad under those conditions.

Edit: And, as for the idea of spending the budget on a greater number of inferior players, where would we be now without Kuqi's 16 goals?

Edited by Stevie_J

Best get used to it... The way neil joy was talking on GMR before kick off indicated an even worse budget for next season saying its going to be difficult for dickov! New rules and reduced money coming from the football league partly to blame.

Best get used to it... The way neil joy was talking on GMR before kick off indicated an even worse budget for next season saying its going to be difficult for dickov! New rules and reduced money coming from the football league partly to blame.

I find it very hard to believe we don't already operate within whatever budgeting regulations the Football League is planning to introduce.

Currently I think it's the best way to go as the emergency loan system, while not being great, does a decent job of filling in the gaps when needed.

When that goes we will be in serious trouble. Hopefully enough other teams will be too so that we can stay up.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Dunno. Would the opposite approach have seen us in the relegation zone now? It's very difficult to say but we have been unfortunate with injuries. Next game we'll likely be missing two of our three first team centre backs, our regular left back and covering left-back, both first choice central midfielders, a first choice winger and our best attacking player. It's difficult to gets results with a small squad under those conditions.

Edit: And, as for the idea of spending the budget on a greater number of inferior players, where would we be now without Kuqi's 16 goals?

GK Cisak

RB Lee

LB Black

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

CM Furman

CM Wesolowski

RW Morais

LW Taylor

AM Simpson

ST Kuqi

Arguably that's our first XI. The current run of defeats isn't acceptable but I do have some sympathy for the club as not many clubs could adequately replace that much of their starting lineup.

GK Cisak

RB Lee

LB Black

CB Diamond

CB Mvoto

CM Furman

CM Wesolowski

RW Morais

LW Taylor

AM Simpson

ST Kuqi

Arguably that's our first XI. The current run of defeats isn't acceptable but I do have some sympathy for the club as not many clubs could adequately replace that much of their starting lineup.

For Tuesday, make that:

GK Cisak

RB Lee

LB Black Diallo

CB Diamond Tarkowski

CB Mvoto

CM Furman

CM Wesolowski

RW Morais Marsh-Brown

LW Taylor

AM Simpson

ST Kuqi

If they cut further they will do so without my £400 why don't the board tell the truth re possible investors as we're being fed bull:censored:, there's no way the club is worth 8 million. (Which is the figure being bandied about in private)

Edited by oafcprozac

For Tuesday, make that:

GK Cisak

RB Lee

LB Black Diallo

CB Diamond Tarkowski

CB Mvoto

CM Furman

CM Wesolowski

RW Morais Marsh-Brown

LW Taylor

AM Simpson

ST Kuqi

This shows just how dificult PD has it at the moment - 9 players of whom at least 7 would be starting on Tuesday. Still cannot understand why the players that do start seem so lacking in belief and attitude though :shock:

Edited by TheBigDog

This shows just how dificult PD has it at the moment - 9 players of whom at least 7 would be starting on Tuesday. Still cannot understand why the players that do start seem so lacking in belief and attitude though :shock:

Because no matter how positive you think you are and no matter how much you talk up the importance of a good performance, at the back of your mind is the niggling thought, ":censored:, we've lost over half the first team, we can't keep a settled side. This is gonna be tough." It's human nature to think that way even subconsciously and, with the best will in the world, it will affect the way you play.

If we just had Furball & Wes back, we'd see a difference. Yes, the squad is smaller, but higher quality when we can put our strongest side out. Which we've not been able to do for some time now. The kick in the niagaras is even less money from the league next season and FIFA's brilliant idea of knocking emergency loans on the head. What a lifeline they can be. Can you imagine, for instance, Cisak & Bouzanis both being injured? "Oh, that's a shame lads, just stick PG in with no back-up. You'll be reet." The governing bodies have a lot to answer for.

In the meantime, I feel really sorry for PD. No-one could have imagined he'd have to deal with this kind of cobbling together a team. Because that's what he has to do at present.

I think smaller squad with more quality gives you a chance, depending on luck with injuries and form. The other way you guarantee that each and every week you ill be sending out a team that is just not good enough

and that is exactly got with the last manager, which to some was the final straw. We're in a catch 22 situation where there are supporters with unrealistic expectations who have decided to vote with their feet

Edited by Tommy_Fent

and that is exactly got with the last manager, which to some was the final straw. We're in a catch 22 situation where there are supporters with unrealistic expectations who have decided to vote with their feet

We're losing as many games as we did under Penney, just scoring a few more goals and with a little more style….

Perhaps my memory is fading, but I don't remember the Latics 1960s and early 70s teams having many injuries, maybe the game was slower back then and the players had stronger protective footwear, having said that didn't Maurice Whittle often play without shin guards ?

Edited by BP1960

Perhaps my memory is fading, but I don't remember the Latics 1960s and early 70s teams having many injuries, maybe the game was slower back then and the players had stronger protective footwear, having said that didn't Maurice Whittle often play without shin guards ?

I think you're right there, BP1960. Tackles were more crunching, they ate steak before a match and the training was nowhere near as rigorous as it is now and I don't remember injuries like this. In those days, they were usually serious ones, not the ones we have now. I think a lot of players did without shin guards. Some even played with their socks round their ankles.

Maybe it is the boots. I wonder if these will ever make a return? the-football-boots-once-owned-by-sir-bobby-robson-and-which-are-now-up-for-auction-555301130.jpg

We're losing as many games as we did under Penney, just scoring a few more goals and with a little more style….

and that's the whole point, it's a case of one or the other but if you took our strongest side under Penney and put them up against this seasons strongest side who do you think would win?

I think clubs like ours have little option but to do this and then rely on the loan market when injuries and suspensions arrise.

Thats is if they dont stop the emergency loan system, which is an absolutely rediculous idea. But so was the "Elite Development Program" and they blackmailed the football league to pass that.

Isn't that all relative though?

Other teams in a similar boat to us will be affected the same and the "big money" teams will still be big money teams.

If anything, will we not be better off with so many of our players being on short term deals?

Other clubs might struggle for numbers if a player or two is on decent money and a 3 year contract, stopping them getting another 3 or 4 in that they could otherwise.

If they cut further they will do so without my £400 why don't the board tell the truth re possible investors as we're being fed bull:censored:, there's no way the club is worth 8 million. (Which is the figure being bandied about in private)

They'll be getting mine.

Even if I was of your mindset - it's my club, not theirs.

Isn't that all relative though?

Other teams in a similar boat to us will be affected the same and the "big money" teams will still be big money teams.

If anything, will we not be better off with so many of our players being on short term deals?

Other clubs might struggle for numbers if a player or two is on decent money and a 3 year contract, stopping them getting another 3 or 4 in that they could otherwise.

You are right Harry, apart from a few elite most clubs in Div 1 next season will be in the same boat as Latics.