Ideas for covering up the Lookers

Let's face it - no news is bad news and we're hearing less and less about ground redevelopment.

So, while we're stuck with the ashes (or the terraces) of the Lookers stand, let's pull together and come up with ways of, at least, making it look slightly prettier.

I've read tonnes of ideas in the past couple of years about erecting (lol) a temporary stand or turning it into a standing section. Well, a stand would cost a bob or two and The Taylor Report says we can't go back to standing.

Somebody must have a cost-effective solution to make my match day experience slightly less of an eyesore?

Best ideas to The Joy.

Let's face it - no news is bad news and we're hearing less and less about ground redevelopment.

So, while we're stuck with the ashes (or the terraces) of the Lookers stand, let's pull together and come up with ways of, at least, making it look slightly prettier.

I've read tonnes of ideas in the past couple of years about erecting (lol) a temporary stand or turning it into a standing section. Well, a stand would cost a bob or two and The Taylor Report says we can't go back to standing.

Somebody must have a cost-effective solution to make my match day experience slightly less of an eyesore?

Best ideas to The Joy.

Both SC and Neil Joy have recently said that they expect to be able to announce something this summer.

ive always said a temporary stand with reduced admission , say a tenner for adults and a fiver for kids etc. It gives people who refuse to pay £20 a chance to watch latics at the risk that they get piss wet through or uncomfortable seats.

ive always said a temporary stand with reduced admission , say a tenner for adults and a fiver for kids etc. It gives people who refuse to pay £20 a chance to watch latics at the risk that they get piss wet through or uncomfortable seats.

So, a temporary seating stand without a cover? Don't see why it couldn't work.

If the club wants some seats back, there's at least 200 stuffed behind the back of Saddleworth Cricket Club, oh, and four in my back garden.

So, a temporary seating stand without a cover? Don't see why it couldn't work.

If the club wants some seats back, there's at least 200 stuffed behind the back of Saddleworth Cricket Club, oh, and four in my back garden.

Trouble we are not really short of seats, plenty in other parts of the ground!

Not criticising the ideas but from a financial point of view I can't see them making sense.

There are hire costs for any temporary stand. There are issues about new turnstiles, toilets, catering. Stewarding.

If the (uncovered) seats were at a reduced price then, on a fine weather day, the stand could draw people away from higher priced seats. On a foul day I do not believe that there would be that many in them.

We have a home attendance of 3500/4000 . Only if the new stand was guaranteed to add significantly , I mean at least several hundred, new customers for each and every home match would it have even a slight chance of flying financially.

The finances are the bottom line.

should just get something dead basic , similar to the one at bristol rovers except without a roof. Then set up a small catering van in the corner selling all the usual latics food. i think it would work , gives people who cant afford to come usually a chance to come. Could also help the atmosphere.

Can't we cover it with flags just for a couple of hours on a match day? I think it would look really good and certainly unique plus it would add some colour instead of grey crumbling concrete that does nothing but serve as a visual metaphor of what the club has become.

Mind you, I suppose elf and safety fire risks rule it out. Pah.

Woof.

Whilst they were still at Highbury and renovating (I think) the Clock End, Arsenal constructed a mural to show fans in a stand rather than a construction site.

We should do that but fill it with pictures of snarling fans hurling abuse at players complete with obscenity riddled speech bubbles.

we CAN'T have a standing area as once clubs went all seater and entered the top division ie Prem we are not allowed to change back.

Even if by some loophole we could do it, health and safety would put paid to standing and any costs involved in temporary stand would not be met by revenue

I can't fathom why people like to or would want to stand anyway - sitting down and being comfortable and then jumping up when a goal is scored is a far better experience than standing for hours and doing your back in!

in terms of ideas until any would be stand is built, i'd suggest we get a local artist to paint a canvas of a crowd/latics related crowd and stretch that across the plywood wall for something to look at.

Alternatively, when a new stand is built we can use the traditional brick as used by Hallam in the plans - all fans if they wish can pay £50 and get their name engraved into the bricks on the inside of the wall which would form the back wall of the concourse where the fans would get food etc, something to admire and look at when chewing on a burger and would be a nice touch.

For the £50 you get your name engraved in a brick and also vouchers entitling you to 20% reduced admission to our 1st round JPT and league cup games.

OR

£100, name and year you started watching latics also engraved underneath your name and free admission to a JPT and 1st round league cup game.

Fans would have their supporting legacy in the club for future years and if 1-2000 take up on the offer it would be a nice earner for the club

Takers?

Edited by shefflatic

£100, name and year you started watching latics also engraved underneath your name

Like on a gravestone with the date indicating the year you died, in this case, it would indicate the year that little part of you that hopes for the best died.

There is no way they are going to introduce cheaper seats having knocked down the stand that had the cheaper seats in its paddock. I’m against spending anything that does not have to be spent unless it is on a new stand. I don’t actually buy the theory that numbers are down because we have a crap stadium. Numbers are down mainly because Oldham is not a properous area, the tv is full of football when we play and we are in a Division 1 survival mode. A £20m stand will not pay for itself.

Edited by Hands on

Currently, the best idea would be to cover it in flags for home games.

No point in sticking a temp stand up. Costs money that would be better spent going towards a new stand.

Like Corney and Joy have said, announcement to be made this summer.

TTA may not have shown their business acumen at its best when it comes to running a football club.

But the business idea of spending money on installing new plastic seats and selling them on match day to people for less money than they currently charge to sit on other plastic seats makes it reassuring to me that the fans only have a meaningless 3% shareholding in this business.

God help us if we had real power. This football club would go the way of Stockport very quickly.

It needs to cost nothing or guarantee an income that exceeds implementation cost.

Edited by opinions4u