• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have a player who's actually got some first team appearances and goals under his belt. We already have unproven and little proven in Taylor and Smith.

But maybe beggars can't be choosers and Eaves is the limit of what we can realistically achieve. In which case, if he joins, good luck to him and I hope he gets a chance to prove himself. I'd expect Simpson and Taylor to start if Eaves is the competition, though.

Well yet again bollocks being spouted on here. Eaves is better than many we could go for and who would want to come. Why must we knock players instantly.

We arent going to sign a super striker are we... young keen and hungry to play for magic beans is the way. Dont sign Clarke, dont sign Mcleod, dont sign some has been.... on way down.

Get behind Smith, Taylor etc....if Eaves returns good luck to him. Hayes aint coming to Oldham but anyone who can score welcome tell the lad from Portugal to get stuffed.

Bollocks or just opinions?

We sign Eaves, we've got another fairly untried youngster who's game we have to develop (who isn't even our player).

He might be brilliant if he came, but he might not be. If he turned out to be a flop then all our goal-scoring responsibility would effectively lie with Robbie Simpson.

I'd like to see us persevere along the lines of a Clarke or (sigh) Hughes sort of player that we know can take some of the responsibility of leading the line from Simpson. If such a player isn't available immediately I'd like us to be patient in the transfer market, save the wage and give Smith and Taylor, our own relatively untried youngsters, a go.

Edited by JoeP

Well yet again bollocks being spouted on here. Eaves is better than many we could go for and who would want to come. Why must we knock players instantly.

We arent going to sign a super striker are we... young keen and hungry to play for magic beans is the way. Dont sign Clarke, dont sign Mcleod, dont sign some has been.... on way down.

Get behind Smith, Taylor etc....if Eaves returns good luck to him. Hayes aint coming to Oldham but anyone who can score welcome tell the lad from Portugal to get stuffed.

Well,it's not bollocks is it? A lot of people including myself are hesitant at the idea of signing yet another youngster who hasn't played any first team football for two years and who hardly set the world alight the first time he was here. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable stance tbh

I'd be surprised if Eaves is sought after. If Dickov is looking he's not learning his lessons; the squad has been too young for the last two years.

Now, having Eaves, Taylor and Smith - regardless of their technical and phsyical similarities - share a likeness that we should avoid: youth and inexperience. It would be suicidal. All three players are at the beginning of their careers, yet none have made a worthwhile mark.

Leon Clarke is a player we need. Maybe not Clarke himself, but someone with talent, appearances and goals. The fact we've spoken to Charlton, apparently longer than a brief "too much for us - ta-ra", suggests Corney is willing to invest at least a competitive fee.

We need a lad who's had games. He can be a tall, bustling lad like Smith, but he needs sharpness through gametime.

people need to remember he hasn't made it in to Boltons side because he wasn't good enough to play in the premiership doesn't mean he wont now cope and thrive at league 1.

I think he also missed most of last season with a knee injury he got in Bolton's pre-season tour of the USA

Look at the rumours site tonight - all rumours are probably bull:censored:.

"oldham athleic are in talks with bayern munichs for tranmere player dale jennings abt a 6 month loan" - 99% likely to be bull:censored:, he'd be more likely to end up in the championship, especially after all the hype about him last year.

"Oldham Athletic are set to sign Manchester United striker Joshua King on a six month loan deal." - Plausable, but in reality again unlikely - he was on loan at Hull last season, so will probably go out on loan in the championship again

"Oldham set to sign striker Alex Mawer on a free transfer after his release from Shrewsbury town. The ginger hair'd striker is well known for his strong shooting ability and has earned the nickname of big toe" - i'll leave you to decide this one.

Well, if I recall correctly, Dickov was reluctant to play him in his first pre season two years ago. And for some reason (and it may have been reading between the lines with comments that PD made at the time) I too was given the distinct impression that Eaves wasn't so highly rated by the new management team.

Respect the opinions bit but ...The bollocks remark is we so quickly write anyone off and expect a known name with proven record that we clearly cant afford but never offer any reasonable alternatives when saying the likes of Eaves no good. To old, to young, not this not that..... Doubt anyone who signs will get a thumbs up from the majority we just tend to find the faults and slag them off. Clarke is an absolute clown but would score plenty. Hughes rumours utter bollocks. Kuqi was great then crap.... who fits the profile?

Tounkara not rated by loads. Hayes highly unlikely.

The setting the World alight bit is a strange one we got very good money for a lad early so never had the chance really. We havent got money to go and tempt a known name so who do we go for.....

Not taking issue here Hallam with the main point of your post, however explain Notts County stating on their website they had turned down an offer from Oldham Athletic for Lee Hughes.

Respect the opinions bit but ...The bollocks remark is we so quickly write anyone off and expect a known name with proven record that we clearly cant afford but never offer any reasonable alternatives when saying the likes of Eaves no good. To old, to young, not this not that..... Doubt anyone who signs will get a thumbs up from the majority we just tend to find the faults and slag them off. Clarke is an absolute clown but would score plenty. Hughes rumours utter bollocks. Kuqi was great then crap.... who fits the profile?

Tounkara not rated by loads. Hayes highly unlikely.

The setting the World alight bit is a strange one we got very good money for a lad early so never had the chance really. We havent got money to go and tempt a known name so who do we go for.....

Well, you clearly don't. And Eaves is not a 'reasonable alternative' to an experienced goalscorer.

Not taking issue here Hallam with the main point of your post, however explain Notts County stating on their website they had turned down an offer from Oldham Athletic for Lee Hughes.

Explain why Dickov and Corney have both said there is no interest at all in him..

PD has come out and said on our official site, and in the advertiser, chron and MEN that he has made no approach for Lee Hughes, and that he didn't know where the rumours had come from.

Corney on his player video blog said there was no truth to the rumour at all.

I dont know how much more categorical they need to be?

PD has come out and said on our official site, and in the advertiser, chron and MEN that he has made no approach for Lee Hughes, and that he didn't know where the rumours had come from.

Corney on his player video blog said there was no truth to the rumour at all.

I dont know how much more categorical they need to be?

They need to stop messing about with 'Mickey Mouse' press sources and just post on here as a reliable source! :grin:

Edited by Keepingthe Faith

curious why you think I am having a pop at your post .... experienced goalscorer ok but who thats all we just appear to write off anyone?

It's not that that's bothering me. It's posts like this 'Well yet again bollocks being spouted on here.' when people don't agree with other peoples reasonable opinions that get my goat. And it's hardly like we're writing off someone who's completely unknown. Most of us saw enough of Eaves to have an opinion of him.