Jim Gannon

Did he say how close he was to becoming manager when Penney left?

He told us he never applied

Seemed like a top bloke, he told came back to Stockport because he loved the club and they would probably had died if he hadn't. Also that if Dickov got sacked 15 managers with better CV's than him would apply

He told us he never applied

Seemed like a top bloke, he told came back to Stockport because he loved the club and they would probably had died if he hadn't. Also that if Dickov got sacked 15 managers with better CV's than him would apply

Gobsmacked he never applied.

He was the standout candidate (for me) at the time. The playing side needed ripping apart and the freeloaders clearing out and he was the right man for the job. Not so sure that applies today.

But I think County is deep in his soul. They've had a similar run to Latics after winning the first two games. But I think they'll be back in the league if he stays. Mid-table this season. Play-offs next. Promotion the year after.

He said that he had agreed to go to Brighton at the time and even said that he had discussed that with Simon Corney asking his opinion about going down there. In the end he didn't take the B&HA job because his wife didn't want to go.

Essentially he never applied at BP because he was off to bigger and better things. Ironic really.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the new chief exec is making his mark. Looks about 18 and interviewer suggests past experience entails editing a magazine, running a coaching set up owned by Gus Hiddink. Sounds like an amateur to me.

He's 30, Jim Gannon who's probably got close to 30 years in football could easily have him where to go and the chief exec said the same but won.

Looks like the new chief exec is making his mark. Looks about 18 and interviewer suggests past experience entails editing a magazine, running a coaching set up owned by Gus Hiddink. Sounds like an amateur to me.

Gus Hiddink as Stockport manager worth a punt?

<straight face>

Would have had him as manager in a heartbeat a few years back, hard to see where he goes now though, may even drift out of the game altogether.

wouldnt surprise me if he came here, quite friendly with simon corney as far as i know, hasnt he been guest of honour at quite a few games?

He's a control freak, the only way he would end up here if he was a number 1 , he wouldnt be an assistant.

This. Completely this. No way could he be assistant.

I think he has a massive tactical nouse advantage over Dickov.

Geoff Horsfield doesn't like him though.

I've never understood the love for Gannon. He's got an appalling record in man management (regularly falling out with fans, players, referees, authorities, chairmen), and his recent managerial record is not hugely impressive (his % won record is worse than John Sheridan, David Penney and Ronnie Moore). As far as I can tell, he gets liked by being a walking mouth (like Ian Holloway) and tactical tinkerer.