Next 5 games

With us starting to hit a good run of form, bar the Doncaster league game. We have 15 points to play for up until the Forest game.... personally I think 11-12 points would see us in the top half on the brink of the play offs, however it could go wrong and see us in the relagation zone... here is how I think the results will go...

Swindon - W

Yeovil - L

Doncaster - D

Crewe - W

Scunthorpe - D

That would see us with 8 points from 15, with us currently being 4 points off 12th (crewe) I feel we need to turn one of the draws into a win to be in the top half going into the Forest game.

COME ON OLDHAM!

Derbyshire heading back to forest is going to be a big loss.....as we appear to have started playing more positively which is always good for him to score goals. I think filling that hole is key to the games afterwards. There's no reason we can't win every game - but this is Latics, and its equally as likely (if not more) that we'll lose the lot

It really depends on how we cope without Matt Derbyshire

He works the channels well which pushes the centre backs backwards and allows Baxter to play in the hole.

Smith is a different player he's someone we have to hit the ball long to him and requires people getting on the knock downs that he wins. Robbie Simpson does his best work dropping off a main striker we might have to adopt our tactics to accomodate them.

It really depends on how we cope without Matt Derbyshire

He works the channels well which pushes the centre backs backwards and allows Baxter to play in the hole.

Smith is, by comparison, :censored: a different player he's someone we have to hit the ball long to him and requires people getting on the knock downs that he wins. Robbie Simpson does his best work dropping off a main striker we might have to adopt our tactics to accomodate them.

The table always starts to look a bit funny this time of year because games will fall foul of the weather. We could end up with anything, just keep up momentum in the game's we play and see where we are come the end of January.

Edited by jsslatic

What we need, 9 points, and what we might get are two different things. This is an important period for the team. The story of the last two years is that we will now have a run of poor results and get very little. If PD and the team continue making progress we will beat Swindon on Saturday and continue the run with PD getting manager of the month for December! This is what I wish, hope & pray for - I've even bought one of the drab blue shirts!

Will the Swindon game even be on?

Was due to travel up North Friday night but have been advisied to leave it by family up there as dont think be on and a wasted journey and costs for us

According to the Beeb on Friday it's going to rain heavily, with a high of 6 degrees and a low of 3 degrees. On Saturday the high is going to be 7 degrees.

If that's accurate the game should be on.

Simpson needs some confidence , when he started uptop against Stevenage he was completely isolated in a shocking team display. he missed his pen against notts and has been used mostly as a central midfielder and his head seems to have dropped. With the midfield now pushing on and Baxter creating in behind him I think he'll get chances and he proved last season and this pre-season that he's a decent finisher . I'd give him the nod to lead the line for the next few games (after Swindon ) with smith and Taylor in reserve. We saw last season when he was on form how good he can be .

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

In terms of pure footballing ability there's no doubt that Simpson is better than Smith, but even though it's not very pretty the team's attacking intent seems a lot clearer when we have Smith up front to go long to, meaning that we become more of a threat. Now that Baxter has taken what he proved last year to be his best position Simpson has looked a bit lost in other positions. If the team is still playing well against Swindon I'd probably play Simpson as he'd fit in better than Smith with the style the rest of the team is playing, as there's no reason to drastically change a winning style. If we are back to square one by Yeovil I'd go for Smith.

All that being said, if Taylor is looking like he's ready for the 1st team and could do a similar job to Derbyshire then it could be the best time of the season to give him a chance. Has anyone seen much of him in the reserves?

Simpson needs some confidence , when he started uptop against Stevenage he was completely isolated in a shocking team display. he missed his pen against notts and has been used mostly as a central midfielder and his head seems to have dropped. With the midfield now pushing on and Baxter creating in behind him I think he'll get chances and he proved last season and this pre-season that he's a decent finisher . I'd give him the nod to lead the line for the next few games (after Swindon ) with smith and Taylor in reserve. We saw last season when he was on form how good he can be .

Got to agree - but also to say that realistically Simpson does need to step up and grab this opportunity. He is a far better technical player than Smith and deserves a chance - but I would also consider Taylor to start as I am still not convinced that Matty Smith suits our preferred style of play and is better as an impact substitute.