Do we back Corney?

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do we Back Corney

• Yes
    • No

Ive been saying it all season, and most of last, that our current predicament is largely down to corney and the direction he is taking the club in,but many a time I have been shot down for voicing my concerns. Year on year we see budget cuts, and rants at the fans, council, or anyone else in his line of fire, never shouldering any of the blame himself.

I hold my hands up and say I do not know what Corneys intentions are towards the club, good or bad, but to me, they aint 100% in the interest of Oldham Athletic, and its fans.

For me, as a club we are at a crossroads. not only in the case of dickov, but corney as well, it is time to put up or shut up. we need drastic action to not only turn this season around, but secure the future of this football club. for too long we have seen budgets cut, and this blamed on the lack of fans coming through the turnstiles, but do you not realise Mr Corney that people simply will not pay more to see inferior products?

the club needs investment. if Corney cant provide this investment why isnt he actively pushing through the sale of this football club? or at least actively seeking outside investment?

its sad to say that over the last ten years we have gone from being one of the major teams in this league, to being a league 2 team punching above our weight. well we have come to the time when the opposition is ready to deliver the knock out blow

Regardless f you agree or disagree, if we continue down the road we are currently on off the field, the product on it will only get worse and the numbers in the stands will continue to dwindle. no matter what the success of the "latics for life" and "Playershare" schemes, the club will fail, because at the end of the day, it doesnt matter how hard us as fans work, there is only one man currently who can improve our fortunes off the field, and quite frankly, im not convinced by his motives.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been saying it all season, and most of last, that our current predicament is largely down to corney and the direction he is taking the club in,but many a time I have been shot down for voicing my concerns. Year on year we see budget cuts, and rants at the fans, council, or anyone else in his line of fire, never shouldering any of the blame himself.

I hold my hands up and say I do not know what Corneys intentions are towards the club, good or bad, but to me, they aint 100% in the interest of Oldham Athletic, and its fans.

For me, as a club we are at a crossroads. not only in the case of dickov, but corney as well, it is time to put up or shut up. we need drastic action to not only turn this season around, but secure the future of this football club. for too long we have seen budgets cut, and this blamed on the lack of fans coming through the turnstiles, but do you not realise Mr Corney that people simply will not pay more to see inferior products?

the club needs investment. if Corney cant provide this investment why isnt he actively pushing through the sale of this football club? or at least actively seeking outside investment?

its sad to say that over the last ten years we have gone from being one of the major teams in this league, to being a league 2 team punching above our weight. well we have come to the time when the opposition is ready to deliver the knock out blow

Regardless f you agree or disagree, if we continue down the road we are currently on off the field, the product on it will only get worse and the numbers in the stands will continue to dwindle. no matter what the success of the "latics for life" and "Playershare" schemes, the club will fail, because at the end of the day, it doesnt matter how hard us as fans work, there is only one man currently who can improve our fortunes off the field, and quite frankly, im not convinced by his motives.

The situation is dire at the moment, but without him there would not be a Latics in existence.

Let's hope he's saying there's no money for much needed squad additions at the moment because he's waiting til after Liverpool to appoint a new management team and give them some funds to help get us out of our current predicament .

What makes you think he's not trying to sell it?

Assuming the mythical new stand appears that would be investment. Getting Baxter on a longer term deal looks like investment.

Would you pay £1 for a business with £6m of debt that tends to make a loss most years?

Would you invest good money in a business with a dwindling whining customer base?

Would you invest good money in a business that is outclassed by two others a few miles away?

Edited by opinions4u

Back corney, sack dickov.

Edited by Bloodisblue!

To be fair to Simon Corney, he did suggest there would be "lean" years whilst the stand development was taking place. It seems the priorities this season at least for him were:

progression on new stand (hoping to start this year but there's rightly a "believe it when we see it" mentality given all past promises)

cup run meaning bonus revenue (tick)

staying up

Hard to judge without knowing the full picture in my opinion

Anyone against a man who saved the club, pumped massive amounts of his own money into the club and stuck around when his mates left us is a massive bellend.

This.

We're talking about a man who continually spends his own money on this team and this club in difficult economic times. He has backed manager after manager...attendances have fallen and yet his support has been unwavering. We get this rubbish from time to time on here and then when he does an interview everyone croons about how great he is. He has said, time and time again, that he would sell the club to the right person. We don't know how he's looking to find investment but if nobody has come along (and in fairness, why on earth would you buy Oldham Athletic at the moment without any sinister motives unless you had a bottomless pit) then what is he to do? His mates have left him to it and he's stuck around which is more than most would have done.

The club are very very lucky to have Simon Corney. I'm mesmerised this is up for discussion, sure not everything is brilliant but do we back him? Why the :censored: wouldn't we? He's saved the club and continues to ensure it exists and, irrespective of the current form, continues to make it competitive. He's come up against a pathetic Council and apathetic public and he's still here. For that we should be grateful.

Rather than seeing Corney as the problem, what is the solution?

I see so many people hold out a new investor as being our saviour? Where is he (or she) and more importantly, why on earth would someone want to put money into our club which is based in a core feeder area for the two Manchester clubs?

Even though it is right to question, some of the attacks on Corney do seem to be rather naive to both the club's and the wider economic situation.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Can't agree here Phill....understand your frustration but if Corney goes then so does club.

Corney is between a rock and a hard place. He has the 'investment' by Blitz and Gazal, who own the ground, to look after, a football club with falling income and the fair play rules to deal with.

There have been reports on here of interest in the club but once you factor in the repayment of the Blitz and Gazal debt the interest evaporates.

Our problem is a lack of income and a manager who is failing - it is a downward spiral. Corney told us how it would be - we need the new stand to improve attendance and boost income so there is more money for the players wages. Times are going to be hard. He has given us Baxter when we all thought he would leave and what does PD do moan that he wants more players. If he could use the ones he has we would not be looking over our shoulders.

Let us hope there is a break clause in the contract, so PD can be jettisoned if we do go down. I just don't think there is the money to sack him and employ someone else. Might be an idea to send him on gardening leave and have a go yourself Simon!

This stuff about questioning his motives really gets my goat.

It’s probably fair to say that TTA may not have been involved if there hadn’t been an associated property play.

However , it’s also very fair to say that at the time there were many, many easier ways of making money out of property than taking on an essentially bankrupt football club with all the grief that involves

And it’s definitely fair to say that they would have been better off cutting their loses and moving on some time ago if this were simply a hard-nosed financial transaction.

I have no particular views on the management situation but I do know that while a club can always find a new manager it may not always find a new owner.

While I'm not planning a "Corney is God" chant, we could do a lot worse.

But the property interests of his mates shouldn't be overlooked. He's babysitting the site for them. At the same time I think he has the best interest of Latics at heart too. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

But the property interests of his mates shouldn't be overlooked. He's babysitting the site for them. At the same time I think he has the best interest of Latics at heart too. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Too right, he would have made a lot more money had Latics made any money.

The situation is dire at the moment, but without him there would not be a Latics in existence.

Let's hope he's saying there's no money for much needed squad additions at the moment because he's waiting til after Liverpool to appoint a new management team and give them some funds to help get us out of our current predicament .

What makes you think he's not trying to sell it?

Assuming the mythical new stand appears that would be investment. Getting Baxter on a longer term deal looks like investment.

Would you pay £1 for a business with £6m of debt that tends to make a loss most years?

Would you invest good money in a business with a dwindling whining customer base?

Would you invest good money in a business that is outclassed by two others a few miles away?

Anyone against a man who saved the club, pumped massive amounts of his own money into the club and stuck around when his mates left us is a massive bellend.

To be fair to Simon Corney, he did suggest there would be "lean" years whilst the stand development was taking place. It seems the priorities this season at least for him were:

progression on new stand (hoping to start this year but there's rightly a "believe it when we see it" mentality given all past promises)

cup run meaning bonus revenue (tick)

staying up

Hard to judge without knowing the full picture in my opinion

This.

We're talking about a man who continually spends his own money on this team and this club in difficult economic times. He has backed manager after manager...attendances have fallen and yet his support has been unwavering. We get this rubbish from time to time on here and then when he does an interview everyone croons about how great he is. He has said, time and time again, that he would sell the club to the right person. We don't know how he's looking to find investment but if nobody has come along (and in fairness, why on earth would you buy Oldham Athletic at the moment without any sinister motives unless you had a bottomless pit) then what is he to do? His mates have left him to it and he's stuck around which is more than most would have done.

The club are very very lucky to have Simon Corney. I'm mesmerised this is up for discussion, sure not everything is brilliant but do we back him? Why the :censored: wouldn't we? He's saved the club and continues to ensure it exists and, irrespective of the current form, continues to make it competitive. He's come up against a pathetic Council and apathetic public and he's still here. For that we should be grateful.

Can't agree here Phill....understand your frustration but if Corney goes then so does club.

This stuff about questioning his motives really gets my goat.

It’s probably fair to say that TTA may not have been involved if there hadn’t been an associated property play.

However , it’s also very fair to say that at the time there were many, many easier ways of making money out of property than taking on an essentially bankrupt football club with all the grief that involves

And it’s definitely fair to say that they would have been better off cutting their loses and moving on some time ago if this were simply a hard-nosed financial transaction.

I have no particular views on the management situation but I do know that while a club can always find a new manager it may not always find a new owner.

Without Corney, there isn't an Oldham Athletic.

Simple as!

All of the above. Encapsulates everything I believe about Simon Corney and his worth to OAFC.

I dont think for one minute he is doing this on his own and like you I reckon Blitz and Gazal (certainly Blitz anyway) are still involved.

Like them or not, without a buyer with substantial cash we are doomed.

Corney is between a rock and a hard place. He has the 'investment' by Blitz and Gazal, who own the ground, to look after, a football club with falling income and the fair play rules to deal with.

There have been reports on here of interest in the club but once you factor in the repayment of the Blitz and Gazal debt the interest evaporates.

Our problem is a lack of income and a manager who is failing - it is a downward spiral. Corney told us how it would be - we need the new stand to improve attendance and boost income so there is more money for the players wages. Times are going to be hard. He has given us Baxter when we all thought he would leave and what does PD do moan that he wants more players. If he could use the ones he has we would not be looking over our shoulders.

Let us hope there is a break clause in the contract, so PD can be jettisoned if we do go down. I just don't think there is the money to sack him and employ someone else. Might be an idea to send him on gardening leave and have a go yourself Simon!

Dear Dickov, please read the following, carefully...

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Will dropping into League Two cost more than sacking him?

Dropping into League Two and then sacking him will certainly cost more than sacking him now and hopefully avoiding the drop...otherwise, we are stuck with him, possibly even in League Two.

Dear Dickov, please read the following, carefully...

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Will dropping into League Two cost more than sacking him?

Dropping into League Two and then sacking him will certainly cost more than sacking him now and hopefully avoiding the drop...otherwise, we are stuck with him, possibly even in League Two.

I know some people look at dropping into L2 as the end, but from a business perspective, is there more value in funding a promotion push from L2 rather than trying to keep us in L1 if managed properly? Whether that would happen is a different question though.

The opening poster got lambasted a bit on here, but whilst Corney I think is a decent person, he isn't beyond questioning. I'm very worried about the overall constant stripping of the club, the year-on-year budget slashing which has seen us each season fighting to stay up. This season is panning out in a similar style to the one where we got relegated in 1997.

Corney repeatedly states that the club is up for sale. But is it really up for sale? Has he not stuck a fairly high price tag on it just to stop any investment? is it all lip service to keep us fans happy? Because as a fan, I'm certainly not happy at the procession of bad decisions they've taken with managers. I'm not happy with the downright unprofessional way the club appears to other fans, to outsiders and to us fans who want to look at a reasonably well-written and well-edited website. I'm not happy at budgets being slashed when we're not investing in other areas.

I'm not anti-Corney. But I'm not 100% sure about the promise of 'after he's gone we'll have a legacy'. I suspect after he's gone we'll have a spanking new stand, a falling-to-bits 2 stands and club at the arse end of the 4th division fighting to stay in the league. I don't think I'd be happy with that.