I think Corney's dropped one almighty bollock not bringing in a new manager. If we do go down I will blame him 100%.

Philliskirk has done an admirable job since Dickov left but the players seem to have gone back into the comfort zone for league games. I'm not sure he is strong enough and that they really care enough or have the bottle required for a relegation scrap.

We have over £1m of unbudgeted income and yet it seems like we are still not prepared to splash the cash and get a manager in who can transform our fortunes.

We have had a great cup run and the feel good factor had returned to the club.....if we go down it will all have been for nothing.......and if Corney leaves as has been suggested what happens regarding the new stand?

The silence within the club is deafening.....no news that we are interviewing or actively trying to find a manager...I find it really quite bizarre.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the results towards the end of Dickov's spell (Liverpool aside) were poor. What baffles me is that he wasn't looking at options before Dickov walked so that a replacement could come in quickly. Leaving it so long is doing noone any good, not the club, not team, not TP. The sheer lack of any info creeping out from the club is baffling. I was quite surprised Corney jetted off back to New York with such a blase attitude.

Granted i don't know whats going on behind the scenes but i think it really has been too long not to have appointed someone. We had quite a lot of applicants didn't we (i forget the number exactly)? Were they all :censored:?!

Simon Corney and the Oldham board need to please bring in a New Manager in quickly. I like to know if anyone really does take any messages on board by the fans to the heart from the club side, Barry Owen i know is around so can we please a have new gaffer in :grin:

Edited by oafc_fan

Like most Latics fans I am baffled that it is taking or has taken so long to bring in a new gaffer. Since Dickov left Forest, Preston, York, notts county and Coventry to name but a few have all named a new manager so why is it taking so long for us to get someone in.

TP has said from day one that he doesnt want the job on a permanant basis so surely something should have been done to bring someone in sooner even if it was only interviews and preliminary talks.

Around 1 million pounds of extra unbudgeted income has been achieved from the cup run so why the hell is it taking so bloody long. Does SC want this club to go down.

Something has to be done this week as it is now becoming a bloody joke.

Carlo corazzin wants a job but they don't give jobs to canadians in Canada he says on his twitter! He wrote this also when we beat Liverpool @carloc19: @OfficialOAFC WELL DONE to my old team! Brings back great memories of my time there! Would love to go back! Remembering West Ham 0 Oldham 1

Legend (this message was done for comical purposes only and I wouldnt want him as manager) to stop anyone crying over it.

We are supposedly offering around £75k a year for the managers job which is probably what Dickov was on.....give Dowie £150k a year on a 2 year deal and we have spent only 15% of our cup money.

Corney said he would listen to what the fans want and I still think Dowie would be theNo 1 choice.

I think he would get this team playing and take us forward next season.....I am sick of the cheap option year after year, get this stand built, get the right man in and give the fans some hope for the future!

Don't understand this delay in appointing a new manager also, TP has said he doesn't want the job. So with players contracts coming to an end surely it would be better to get the new man in and give him some games to try and rescue the situation, as well as looking at which players he wants to try and keep etc.

My gut feel is purely based on activity and inactivity at OAFC since PD left, but I feel that some kind of verbal agreement has been done with our potential manager. However there are a few caveats on each side.

My feelings are:

The potential manager is currently employed and has a contract to the end of the season (or thereabouts).

The potential manager did not want to resign from his current contract to take up a contract to the end of the season only, but will take a full season's (or 2) contract.

SC has confidence in TP, and has taken the gamble that the current managerial set up can take us to the end of the season and stay in league 1.

The potential manager does not want to manage OAFC if we are in league 2 next year.

SC will announce the potential manager soon after the season has ended (provided we are still in League 1) so that he can get in his type of players ASAP.

I am not sure if SC has a plan B if we are in league 2 next year, but I think he will be looking to walk away quickly.

Nothing changed.. Apparently only offered a very short deal and wants longer to build something with OAFC. Sounds like ball is in SC's court and sounds like he's only candidate & talks may happen again...

He really does love the club and said his most enjoyable time as a manager was when cutting his teeth at BP.

Top bloke - threw some shapes for a big fella - and a really great night. Shearer was a bit of a mover too and great mates with him.

I really hope SC gets his man because just listening to him about fitness, mentality etc really demonstrated the passion and drive he has to get us into the Championship. That's his aim anyway.

Edited by Midsblue

an announcement today, tomorrow or early Tuesday could lift the whole club before the massive match against Hartlepool. Will it happen? Doubt it. With the players in a comfort zone now I think only a new manager will give them the kick up the arse they need

It is extraordinary that Corney hasn't appointed a manager. He should have done it at Xmas. All clubs need a manager, and we certainly do after years of incompetence culminating in our worst coach ever. Corney can still take advantage of the boosts of sacking Dickov, the money from the cup run -and even the feelgood factor of the cup will come back if we appoint somebody soon. Hopefully TP will make clear that urgent action is necessary. We don't want the season to end in shame and farce and hopefully we can avoid eventually threatening a campaign such as that necessary to oust Moore. I am getting increasingly concerned about the cup money, on top of the purported debts that the 3As appear to have claimed against the club (much of which is simply a quantification of their stupid decisions such as Failsworth). We have now had 3 millionaire chairmen in 50 years and all have failed because they have had no real commitment, are not philanthropic - they don't even admit to themselves that some of their money will be lost, don't really have the money to pretend to be white knights, and are dictators, who always drag everything down with them when they fail. (Ken Bates was the classic, all he brought to BP were his ddreams and good spin.) Even if we hadn't had the cup run we'd need a manager. Corney should listen to the fans, TP and all others who love the club. It's a pity that the club's board is packed with incompetent yes-men. If Corney believes that disaster would strike if we were relegated, then why not do something about it. It wouldn't take much to inspire the team again, before the season ends next month. Corney isn't even looking for a good legacy - taking 10 years to put us back in division four for the first time since 1969 would be pitiful.

To be honest before yesterday's result I'd have been happy enough with TP being in charge because he's done a good job and probably a better one than anyone else who came in could've done. While he definitely should have a replacement lined up take the job on I think Corney has been right to hold fire on replacing TP.

But hopefully tomorrow or between Hartlepool and Bournemouth games we'll have someone ready to come in.

Maybe, the stand out candidate is someone for whom we will be their first management job, and maybe still capable of playing. Corney realises this is no good for our current situation but doesn't want to appoint someone for the remaining few games of the season as can't afford the increase in pay required to get someone on such a short term contract. Or the experienced manager doesn't want to come on a short-term deal.

Who was the last PL or Championship side to give a new manager their first managerial job without previous long-term coaching experience (so ruling out the likes of Steve Clarke)? I think many older current pros have realised this and know they need to cut their managerial teeth at our level first.

Nothing changed.. Apparently only offered a very short deal and wants longer to build something with OAFC. Sounds like ball is in SC's court and sounds like he's only candidate & talks may happen again...

He really does love the club and said his most enjoyable time as a manager was when cutting his teeth at BP.

Top bloke - threw some shapes for a big fella - and a really great night. Shearer was a bit of a mover too and great mates with him.

I really hope SC gets his man because just listening to him about fitness, mentality etc really demonstrated the passion and drive he has to get us into the Championship. That's his aim anyway.

Lets hope it happens quickly.

Should the last few words not have been...That would be his aim anyway!

May be reading too much into it but that could be a bit of a give away!

Rudemedic has basically covered off what I think is the delay.

IMO, our manager for next season isnt here now because he's still playing, and SC believes that Tony P can keep us up.

I've had a bet on Mr Liverpool being our new gaffer - and with the delay, his subsequent announcement of his decision to retire and a few other little tit-bits, i think i just might be in the money with my bet on Jamie Carra.....