I've had a bet on Mr Liverpool being our new gaffer - and with the delay, his subsequent announcement of his decision to retire and a few other little tit-bits, i think i just might be in the money with my bet on Jamie Carra.....

Would be a massive mistake.

Another Dickov and we can't take that route again.

Only rookie manager I'd take would be Peter Schemeichel but priority has to be an experienced manager as our position requires somebody who knows this league well.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a massive mistake.

Another Dickov and we can't take that route again.

Only rookie manager I'd take would be Peter Schemeichel but priority has to be an experienced manager as our position requires somebody who knows this league well.

Why would it be a massive mistake? What would the difference be between Carragher and Schemeichel?

Why would it be a massive mistake? What would the difference be between Carragher and Schemeichel?

Really don't know. Might be irrational but there is something about Schmeichel that makes me think he'd be a great manager.

I just like him.

On the other hand, Carragher isn't right for us and he isn't manager material at the moment I feel.

Sounds like utter rubbish, it probably is, but it's just a hunch.

Carra with Sammy Lee as 1st team coach as a combo?

Dickov was let down by his lack of experience; his own and within his backroom team.

Carra with an experienced head alongside? Hmmm

I'd be more than happy with that as neither is going to want to mess TP about and Carragher won't stand for any nonsense and I bet he could still play at this level, if he wants too. He has also been doing a fair bit of coaching at Liverpool and the phrase show us your medals has only one winner. Don't think Dickov would always win especially when Kuqi was here.

The problem with it is staying in the division before Carra can come.

I'd be more than happy with that as neither is going to want to mess TP about and Carragher won't stand for any nonsense and I bet he could still play at this level, if he wants too. He has also been doing a fair bit of coaching at Liverpool and the phrase show us your medals has only one winner. Don't think Dickov would always win especially when Kuqi was here.

The problem with it is staying in the division before Carra can come.

I would welcome that appointment with open arms at them end of them season. The only thing that would worry me is would carragher know what hes getting into. Players at this level are different animals. You ask stevie gerrard to play a certain way he does it it gets done. Players at this level dont always take on the instructions have the ability or the same focus and desire as the players that carragher has played with and against for the last 20 years.

Plus aswell it all depends on who wants it.

Has Dowie come out and said he actually DOES want the job?

He sounded like he did when I spoke to him last night but stumbling block appears to be that he has only been offered remainder of this season, which is common knowledge in the press so I haven't said anything that I shouldn't have said. He spoke quite passionately about his time as manager. You can't help but get excited when listening to him - very passionate, driven and ambitious about delivering Championship football for Oldham Athletic.

It was a superb night for his wife's charity generating almost £90k last night for beating breast cancer. He's really passionate about the charity and him dancing in the John Travolta suit and affro showed what a great character he has; something we need at the helm to kick start a revival of our fortunes.

He sounded like he did when I spoke to him last night but stumbling block appears to be that he has only been offered remainder of this season, which is common knowledge in the press so I haven't said anything that I shouldn't have said. He spoke quite passionately about his time as manager. You can't help but get excited when listening to him - very passionate, driven and ambitious about delivering Championship football for Oldham Athletic.

It was a superb night for his wife's charity generating almost £90k last night for beating breast cancer. He's really passionate about the charity and him dancing in the John Travolta suit and affro showed what a great character he has; something we need at the helm to kick start a revival of our fortunes.

If he's only been offered it until the end of the season it is ridiculous to expect him to accept.

I think he would be the fans No1 choice for the job.....do it Corney, you know it makes sense!!

There must be a logical reason for this statement?

I really detest Liverpool as a club and with him being a main stalwart for them he takes a bit of the flack for my hatred. Personally, I don't support the "I'm not getting picked so I'm retiring from England" at all and I think its very petty of professional footballers who "dream" of playing for their country and then just spit the dummy out. Added to that, he then suddenly decides to come out of "retirement" to be back up because we had injuries, supporting the reason he wasn't picked in the first place, because he simply wasn't good enough to be a starting England centre back and only got called back because Capello went through the options and finally reached Carra. I also don't think that he has ever been a brilliant defender. Granted he gets stuck in and rolls his sleeves up but I've seen plenty of times evidence he really cannot tackle properly, plenty of OG's (some unavoidable but I think a lot could be avoided by being more alert and in better positions - my opinion). His autobiography he admitted to injuring a team mate in training who "mocked his defending" and planned to assault Lucas Neil. I won't drop a C-bomb on here because I know people don't like it, but if I was ever going to drop one, it would be to label Carra! But hey, just my opinion

I really detest Liverpool as a club and with him being a main stalwart for them he takes a bit of the flack for my hatred. Personally, I don't support the "I'm not getting picked so I'm retiring from England" at all and I think its very petty of professional footballers who "dream" of playing for their country and then just spit the dummy out. Added to that, he then suddenly decides to come out of "retirement" to be back up because we had injuries, supporting the reason he wasn't picked in the first place, because he simply wasn't good enough to be a starting England centre back and only got called back because Capello went through the options and finally reached Carra. I also don't think that he has ever been a brilliant defender. Granted he gets stuck in and rolls his sleeves up but I've seen plenty of times evidence he really cannot tackle properly, plenty of OG's (some unavoidable but I think a lot could be avoided by being more alert and in better positions - my opinion). His autobiography he admitted to injuring a team mate in training who "mocked his defending" and planned to assault Lucas Neil. I won't drop a C-bomb on here because I know people don't like it, but if I was ever going to drop one, it would be to label Carra! But hey, just my opinion

Blimey, if you're that angry about Carragher then wouldn't want to be the bloke who boils your blood for a worthwhile reason.

Blimey, if you're that angry about Carragher then wouldn't want to be the bloke who boils your blood for a worthwhile reason.

Well I wouldn't say angry but having been asked for reasons why I don't like him those are the ones. But then without any reasons I'd probably get slated for not having any reasons which is probably more unreasonable than reasoned response

I was pretty ambivilent towards him really. Big Respect for his appearances and longevity in the game and all that, but he hasn't exactly brought out a massive love or hate reaction with me..............but for that admission alone; he's now my new hero!!