The Lee Johnson Appreciation Thread

Welcome to BP Lee.

A young hungry manager wanting to learn his new job and become the best in the business at it. Giving the club the uniqueness of the youngest manager in the football league at the same time.

If you read his twitter he has quite a few football connections, maybe not the best, but a starting point. If his new job he'll learn to pick up contacts and ultimately have the best contact list in a few years.

I don't doubt for a minute he will take us down, this squad is good enough, and he must have something about him to have passed his interview. Scunthorpe are just 2 above us and have one almighty run in. We'll be fine this season.

Then it leaves Lee with a fresh summer to get rid of all the rubbish here and bring in a fresh young hungry squad of his own, that we can work with, towards a successful top half finish next season.

I'd hope he'll bring in an experienced head beside him, to help him learn his new job role, but he must have something about him to have got the job.

Its a fresh new dawn for OAFC and i'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to BP Lee.

A young hungry manager wanting to learn his new job and become the best in the business at it. Giving the club the uniqueness of the youngest manager in the football league at the same time.

If you read his twitter he has quite a few football connections, maybe not the best, but a starting point. If his new job he'll learn to pick up contacts and ultimately have the best contact list in a few years.

I don't doubt for a minute he will take us down, this squad is good enough, and he must have something about him to have passed his interview. Scunthorpe are just 2 above us and have one almighty run in. We'll be fine this season.

Then it leaves Lee with a fresh summer to get rid of all the rubbish here and bring in a fresh young hungry squad of his own, that we can work with, towards a successful top half finish next season.

I'd hope he'll bring in an experienced head beside him, to help him learn his new job role, but he must have something about him to have got the job.

Its a fresh new dawn for OAFC and i'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

Hahaha, that Stella Artois must be tasting good wherever you are my friend!

Evening chaps

Bristol City fan here. I am quite interested in this Lee Johnson story as he was a key part of our team from 06-12. Seems a real risk appointing him due to his age and current league position BUT Lee Johnson, IMO, as someone who has watched him as a part of our squad for a fair few years has a great deal of good credentials for management.

Obviously having a father who has been fairly successful as a manager helps, his uncle Pete is/was also a scout and Lee has been involved with the youth systems at Arsenal and Watford as well as playing for Hearts and Killie north of the border so is well travelled and has certainly has a few connections he's built up over the years.

Lee is also a bright boy - he owns a small property portfolio which he has built up and it's worth a fair bit now - he's not you're average footballer in terms of intelligence and that comes across in his interviews too.

He also is a real model pro. When things weren't going so well for us Lee was an easy target due to him being Gary's son (suggestions of nepotism etc) but during that time he gave nothing less than his all and carried on trying his hardest despite the undeserved critisism he was receiving for Gary's repeated selection of him when times were rough!

Lee has been involved in successful sides. With Yeovil I believe they won two promotions and a football league trophy. He's achieved promotion with Bristol City and also won Scottish cups with Hearts and Killie off the top of my head so knows what is needed for a successful side.

I appreciate this information may seem irrelevant in his potential managerial ability but I believe he has the credentials to be successful. If he gets the job I will keep an eye out for your results as he was a real credit to Bristol City during his time here.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

In a lot of ways this appointment reminds me of how much of a let down Simon corney is..............

Yes. Penny-pinching and risk taking. that's what's pissed me off. Yet again, a decision made because it's the cheap option. Experienced options (even with club connections) cost, and we can't have that. We can't even have a pot to piss in - literally in the Main Stand.

Still, on the plus side Lee's wife is fit and they've made money renovating properties.

Nothing against you Lee. I'm just totally pissed off with SCs approach/management of this club.

Welcome to BP!

Protest by pulling seats out of the Ford Stand and throw them across to the Directors enclosure....i'm being ironic (just in case).

I didn't twig it at the time, but in an eventual acknowledgement from the Latics after my recommendation of a teenager from non league (Duncan Watmore) I was informed the next manager would be one who would be interested in developing this aspect.

Interesting that Lee Johnson spent some time as a young player in the Conference with Yeovil Town, most of his team mates went on to have good careers in the Football league so he will know there's some real potential out there.

I was asked if I was interested in working with the new set up, but had to decline for personal reasons, however, they will welcome any future recommendations.