Manchester North End... Just out of interest

196 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a merger between Rochdale, Bury and Oldham?

• No way, ever
    • I couldn't support them like Latics but I'd attend the odd game, see what it's all about
    • I'd watch them regularly
    • Other

Merging clubs may not result in any benefits at all. However, there would be potential for a club with 'Manchester' in its name to attract significant investment and potentially could make a better go at it than our two clubs. At this point, there is no will, but it perhaps would be interesting if a carrot was ever dangled.

A ground share would make sense.

A merger makes no sense at all.

Well if Rochdale become our tenants you may have a point. I don't think Dale fans would agree. A trip to BP seemed beyond most of them last season.

I can't see any benefits where Bury could find an identity in Oldham or the other way round.

And Rochdale's links to either Bury or Oldham are at best tenuous.

I cannot see anything along the lines of merger building a stronger club at any location. Ground share long term fits in the same category.

If Latics was to disappear and we were being asked to support someone new, I'm guessing the largest percentage of us would be more likely to head towards the premier league rather than Manchester North End.

i'd go the other way and support Mossley or someone like that. Or probs not go at all, would never ever never ever ever support them Mankers from down the road.

You'd end up with one team attracting crowds of less than 4,000.

It's economically doomed. So shouldn't happen.

This.

A ground share would make sense.

A merger makes no sense at all.

And this, if it ever came to it.

Only a few votes from people who'd consider it, but I'm actually stunned there are even that many.

i'd go the other way and support Mossley or someone like that. Or probs not go at all, would never ever never ever ever support them Mankers from down the road.

Me too. exactly the same. Would be my local team to here, but same principle.

Although I suspect there may be a phoenix club if that happened, which I would probably support.

I can understand training facilities sharing, but doubt things like marketing, who ever took it on would be more inclined to favour their own team first.

Lets hope that with our new development that they come to us rather than the other way round. Can;t se the benefits of Bury trekking all the way to Oldham for training though.

Logic would say Rochdale is in the middle of the 3 towns so most "logical" (Logistically) would be most based there. Which would hasten our demise further IMHO.

I am suprised though, that a local buying consortium is not created for things like the Catering contract, energy, mobile phones, stationery, certain admin, phone answering, printing costs, maybe even ticketing,. A bit like some local councils are doing. Think there is an opportunity there.

Edited by singe

I am suprised though, that a local buying consortium is not created for things like the Catering contract, energy, mobile phones, stationery, certain admin, phone answering, printing costs, maybe even ticketing,. A bit like some local councils are doing. Think there is an opportunity there.

Excellent idea.

If it comes with a new ground the most obvious place, would be about 50 yards from the end of my road. I'd probably pop along on a regular basis for a spell. A new ground would allow all the current owners to make money off the respective plots of land.

I live very close to the point in the middle of them all. When this idea was first mooted I pointed out that as someone who went to school in Bury, lived in "Rochdale" but supported Oldham it looked almost tailor made for me. I'm not all that in favour of it when it comes to football, but think something similar might work for Rugby League though.

Depending on location, with the most obvious aside from a new ground being Spotland due to the public transport links, I don't think it will work as well in practice as it first appears on paper. As 95% of regulars at the respective clubs wouldn't go on principle. So you are relying on locals who like football, but don't attend matches for whatever reason to take the new side up as their own. As one of the main reasons why people don't go to football is money a lot of those locals couldn't afford to go anyway. Plus if they were really that interested they'd probably go watch one of sides already.

This idea? :censored: off……….just :censored: off…...

^^

This, this and this again. If Latics died, God forbid, I'd go to watch Mangotsfield United in about the 9th tier of English football. I wouldn't even be arsed to go to one of the Bristol clubs.