Cliff Byrne on his way back to Scunny?

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Oldham-say-Scunthorpe-United-contact-Cliff-Byrne/story-19005193-detail/story.html#axzz2TXDlgLiK

Hasn't been dismissed as out of hand, he'd be a real loss if he was allowed to to go back. Johnson will be assembling a young team - let's be honest it's all he's going to get on a reduced budget, so any experience in the dressing room is invaluable.

It'd be a mistake to allow Byrne to leave imo, Laws is out of hand unsettling a player that is under contract.

I agree, I dont think he is the best defender in the world but after seeing him on the touchline back end of last season with LJ his contribution was excellent. He was marshaling our defence brilliantly. Looked like he really cared about the club which is what we want.

I get the impression Cliff is a consummate professional. If the club tell Scunny to :censored: off then he's hardly going to throw his toys out of the pram. The ball is therefore very much in our court and I can't see it happening.

He's under contract, Scunny can't afford him on anything but a free. He's going nowhere for the time being.

It might mean though that we need to offer him a decent deal in 10 months to keep him, which at this moment in time I'd be looking to do.

http://www.thisisscu...l#axzz2TXDlgLiK

Hasn't been dismissed as out of hand, he'd be a real loss if he was allowed to to go back. Johnson will be assembling a young team - let's be honest it's all he's going to get on a reduced budget, so any experience in the dressing room is invaluable.

It'd be a mistake to allow Byrne to leave imo, Laws is out of hand unsettling a player that is under contract.

Also Prozac I don't think its out of order by Laws he hasn't done anything backhand, he has rang Latics and asked how much we would want for Byrne, its only how any other transfer works. If he contacted Byrne direct thats when its shady i.e. Ashley Cole

I think LJ will sit down with CB and ask him what he wants. I know Byrne still lives in over Yorkshire way and always moans about the M62 and is Scunny through and through so he may be tempted.

Edited by razza699

I believe Byrne want's to go back and from Latics view he's on decent money here and are happy for it to go ahead. Byrne after meeting him at the awards is a sound pro and I think he'll go.

Edited by Lags

If he does go then it wouldn't be a huge loss with his injury record, LJ knows how to act in the transfer market and would get a more than ideal replacement. Plus getting any kind of money in for Byrne isn't bad at all. BUT personally I would like him to stay, his experience is vital but if he doesn't its a move that suits him so good luck to him!

http://www.thisisscu...l#axzz2TXDlgLiK

Looks like he's lighting a fag in that picture!!

Has he extended the contract because of a trigger or did we offer it?

Seems barmy that we would let him go if we offered the contract and Scunny don't have any money to pay us. Surely if Byrne wanted to go back, this would have been on the cards prior to the contract being signed.

Has he extended the contract because of a trigger or did we offer it?

Seems barmy that we would let him go if we offered the contract and Scunny don't have any money to pay us. Surely if Byrne wanted to go back, this would have been on the cards prior to the contract being signed.

Latics had an option to extend it.

I be sad to see him go like every player had an off day but very solid at times and he did more on the touchline than Taggart did in three seasons. Sadly his family are still in Scunthorpe and although there a league below guess in the long run he proberly get a longer deal.

If we keep Mvoto to play alongside Tarky, it wouldn't be such a big loss as those two have improved since last year and they will get better. If Mvoto goes then Byrne would be the right type of player to play alongside Tarky or Belezika. However Byrne was the replacement we needed for Diamond last year so worse case scenario we'll probably be able to bring in a similar player if we lose Byrne.

Remember he might want to play first team football as his career is coming to an end. I don't think he is good enough to play week in week out at our level, so maybe the club will come to an arrangement with him to move on so he can keep playing.

He's 31, sure he'll be hoping to play for a good bit longer yet.

i like Cliff, but a transfer fee for a 31 year old injury prone journeyman cb? Give over.

What is it with the word journeyman on this forum? He is as far from a journeyman as you'll find anywhere at this level! After going through the Sunderland youth system, he was at Scunthorpe for 10 years during which they had a three year spell in the championship. More than qualified.

Maybe we could come to some other kind of arrangement, are there any players at Scunthorpe that we might be interested in?

What is it with the word journeyman on this forum? He is as far from a journeyman as you'll find anywhere at this level! After going through the Sunderland youth system, he was at Scunthorpe for 10 years during which they had a three year spell in the championship. More than qualified.

Maybe we could come to some other kind of arrangement, are there any players at Scunthorpe that we might be interested in?

Cant see us being interested in anyone they would be willing to let go (under contract) whos any good , as the fact thats its only them being so :censored: , that we wern't already as good as down before LJ came in.

Lazy usage on my part, i was and still am only taking quick breaks from reading a friends's degree paper whilst half cut. I did think about the swap option but even that still puts a transfer value cb that i doubt is there

The blond right winger Mark Duffy is decent as well as the midfielder Jimmy Ryan.I've no idea what their contract statuses are though.