Latics most entertaining players ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think Rodger Wylde can be omitted. Swashbuckling goalscorer.

His testimonial is tomorrow night at Edgeley Park.

A tenner in and you get to see Chris Waddle play.

http://mobile.stockportcounty.com/news/article/2013-07-05-rodger-wylde-testimonial-897453.aspx?pd=635086350000000000

Edited by opinions4u

I can recall Rick Holden - against Man Utd in the FA Cup semi final - on his arse near the touchline. The ball was at his feet and there were Man Utd players around him, but he picked the ball up between his feet, 'threw' it in the air, then kicked it back over his and the Man Utd player's heads back into play. It was so cheeky, the kind of thing you'd only get away with doing during a jumpers-for-goalposts kick around in the park - but expertly done... brilliant.

Without a shadow of a doubt - the late great Alan Groves.

His ball control was on par (if not better than) Christiano Ronaldo. From the tender age of 8 I was fortunate enough to witness the genius that was Alan Groves.

He made us laugh, he made us cry (with laughter) as he tormented defences week in week out with alarming regularity. He always acknowledged the crowd (whether home or away) as he playfully tied defenders in knots and on one occasion he was one on one with the final defender and beckoned with the crowd to beat him on the left or the right before scoring yet another goal for Oldham.

If he had played for a more high profile club, I have no doubt he would have gone on to represent his country at World Cups/European Championships.

Before his untimely passing, I met the great man whilst receiving an award for winning everything with Heyside Juniors when I was 15, and a more friendly, humble man you couldn't wish to meet. He loved football and his public.

My Hero!!!!

John Ryan our attacking left back was exciting particularly his link play with Paul Atkinson

Oh that was great for a while. I thought both of them were solid but not exceptional players and then they started with a run around play one game that worked and a few games later they tried it again and again it worked. It left many sides bamboozled that season - that was fun, it was good to see fun brought back into football.

What year would that have been?

His ball control was on par (if not better than) Christiano Ronaldo. From the tender age of 8 I was fortunate enough to witness the genius that was Alan Groves.

He made us laugh, he made us cry (with laughter) as he tormented defences week in week out with alarming regularity. He always acknowledged the crowd (whether home or away) as he playfully tied defenders in knots and on one occasion he was one on one with the final defender and beckoned with the crowd to beat him on the left or the right before scoring yet another goal for Oldham.

If he had played for a more high profile club, I have no doubt he would have gone on to represent his country at World Cups/European Championships.

Before his untimely passing, I met the great man whilst receiving an award for winning everything with Heyside Juniors when I was 15, and a more friendly, humble man you couldn't wish to meet. He loved football and his public.

My Hero!!!!

PLUS 1, Knew Alan as rented him a shop and a lovely bloke with some very dubious friends/hangers on (Car related) best entertainer by a long way yet very different off the pitch. Taken advantage of by hangers on and a gentle bloke.

Only player that comes close to skill was my other hero Simon Stainrod. PROPER footballers who could make a ball talk and remember not these "beach" balls of today either. Pity no film of the way both played true genius and Alan should have played at higher level. Could run and run.....as residents of Royton would see him training. Banter with the paddocks second to none. Gestures with adults, about the defenders, pat on head for kids on wall, asking which way to go round him or through him, next attack. Doubt we will ever see another Groves. Some far fetched stories re Groves, sitting on the ball etc but true. One memory was him sitting in the house opposite Southports ground having a cup of tea in window and then wandering over to club about 2.30 and playing a blinder.

Totally agree - no one has come near Stainrod or Groves in my 40 years watching Latics

I think the general consensus of opinion is that anyone over a certain age will never see any better than Stainrod or Groves, For my money it has to be Groves but Stainrod had that flamboyance about him, perhaps it was that era that defined him. Oh well Sidney may well have us drooling over the next season, in LJ we trust

Bobby Johnstone's party piece was pretending to take a free kick only to stop, then with hands on knees quickly produce a magnificent through ball, we laughed as the opposition fell for it every time.

Legend has it Bobby once had a bet with an opposition goalkeeper he would score from a penalty kick exactly where he would place the ball, the keeper took the bet but didn't save the penalty despite knowing where it was going.

My Hero!!!!

PLUS 1, Knew Alan as rented him a shop and a lovely bloke with some very dubious friends/hangers on (Car related) best entertainer by a long way yet very different off the pitch. Taken advantage of by hangers on and a gentle bloke.

Only player that comes close to skill was my other hero Simon Stainrod. PROPER footballers who could make a ball talk and remember not these "beach" balls of today either. Pity no film of the way both played true genius and Alan should have played at higher level. Could run and run.....as residents of Royton would see him training. Banter with the paddocks second to none. Gestures with adults, about the defenders, pat on head for kids on wall, asking which way to go round him or through him, next attack. Doubt we will ever see another Groves. Some far fetched stories re Groves, sitting on the ball etc but true. One memory was him sitting in the house opposite Southports ground having a cup of tea in window and then wandering over to club about 2.30 and playing a blinder.

Says it all for me

Jose Baxters nutmeg and beating 3 men at Orient final day shows exactly what he can do. Can you imagine being that good and having the ability to play worldy through balls only for it to be to Robbie Simpson and Matt Smiths runs?

or even Andy Ritchie, not his sister Annie ;-)

In my 50 years I have never seen any other Latics players that really came close to them. There were some wonderful players in the Prem team (Warhurst was amazing, and was always going to be a top striker for someone), Richard Jobson, Earl Barrett, Rick Holden etc. But those 3 were very special and different.