Antonio Rodgers signs

4 decent midfielders in Rodgers, Wes (even though hes :censored:e), Mellor and Smith, may mean Mellor will be our mr versatile, can see him playing CB for some of the season. Would much prefer him in the CM alongside Smith, but we seem fairly well covered all over now besides CB, especially with Smith and Mellor able to fill in at full backs if required.

Edited by youngen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it best to have 2 GK, ie Oxley and the youngster Simpson and worry about cover if Oxley gets injured for any length of time, or two slightly equal keepers +Simpson laike last few seasons.

I think Oxley and Simpson is fine. (without having seen either!!!)

Another midfielder.... Baxter must be off?

.....this seems increasingly likely. If Dickov knows his release clause isn't particularly high, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a go. Maybe LJ is preparing for that eventuality.

Still, Charlie MacDonald and Adam Rooney (hopefully) with JCH and Millar in reserve looks better on paper than Matt Smith & Robbie Simpson did last season.

Whatever happens, LJ needs some luck, I really hope he gets a few breaks early on cos you never know where momentum can take you! COME ON OLDHAM!

Mike Keegan is quoted as saying Baxter doesn't have a release clause

I think Corney said to Prozac that he has got one.

To me it means that Baxter can go when he wants and if he wanted to go for a bigger wage he wouldn't have signed the contract back in January, so I'd be very surprised to see him go in this transfer window. The next transfer window may be a different story.

Is it best to have 2 GK, ie Oxley and the youngster Simpson and worry about cover if Oxley gets injured for any length of time, or two slightly equal keepers +Simpson laike last few seasons.

I think Oxley and Simpson is fine. (without having seen either!!!)

I think Oxley and Simpson are fine tbh, again without seeing them play. It was great having two good gk's last season, but in the end it didnt create the competition I thought it might, both made mistakes, and at least one of them sulked when he wasn't picked, at least if Simpson isnt getting a game, he'll be happy being back up.

.....this seems increasingly likely. If Dickov knows his release clause isn't particularly high, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a go. Maybe LJ is preparing for that eventuality.

Has anyone ever heard of an L1 footballer with a release clause? This is something i associate with top level players worth squillions

Tbh I can see Baxter? Wes and maybe Monty all moving on but if if it allows LJ to build the squad as he sees fit then so be it.

Would you swap Baxter for a 35 goal partnership, with wingers rampaging left and right and midfielders making runs from deep?

As good and as entertaining Jose is, he's a luxury player, one I'd be loathe to lose but it would t be the end of the world...

Edited by oafcprozac

Tbh I can see Baxter? Wes and maybe Monty all moving on but if if it allows LJ to build the squad as he sees fit then so be it.

Would you swap Baxter for a 35 goal partnership, with wingers rampaging left and right and midfielders making runs from deep?

As good and as entertaining Jose is, he's a luxury player, one I'd be loathe to lose but it would t be the end of the world...

Said it plenty of times about Baxter, available for nowt last summer, again in January - nothing has changed in the meantime to make a club suddenly want to pay 300, 400, 500k now.

If he has a storming start to this season then it might change but he's a very short price to still be here come September for me.

Maybe nobody needs to move on?

Mvoto and Simpson must have been on a fair whack which is now free

Its not like we are signing well known players, they are all without clubs.

Although I do think a Baxter bid from somewhere can't be far off

Johnson "Anton is the type of player who goes un noticed by fans"

No - he is the type fans will moan at for not "getting it forward" and "passing it sideways".

I maintain Furman was / is a good player who was used wrong. If we are winning people will like Rodgers. I can see him getting stick if / when we dont.