Stanley game

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started slowly but grew into the game, despite the pitch being watered prior to both halves the ball stuck under foot and we were unable to knock the ball around at the tempo we have been doing. This was part of the reason Tarky and Mellor were giving it away too often in the first-half. I saw a much better aerial presence from Mellor tonight, I'd like to see him come a couple more yards inside at times and definitely decide quicker when the pass is on or when to clear his lines but he is growing into the role. I don't think he will start at Stevenage alongside Tarky but it is another string to his bow being able to drop back if needed for the odd game.

The Stanley goal was a bit of a mix up between Mellor and Tarky, a free-kick conceded and the deflection off Wes? Wrong-footed Ox who was unable to check his dive after committing. From then on Jose ran the show, a good knock back from Tarky saw Baxter hammer one into the ground and level the scores. In fairness we were goving the ball away but still creating clear-cut chances where we were a bit wasteful at times.

Second Half Stanley upped the anti with a few tasty challenges and had chances of their own, forcing decent saves from Ox. Adam was unfortunate with a header that drifted wide, Jose forced a good save from Dunbavin and how the hell the ball stayed out late on from a Mellor cross, I do not know. Three attempts each closer to the goal - the last blocked on the line by goalkeeper and defender denied Latics the win. I thought Ox had conceded a stonewall penalty when he brought their lad down as he dashed past but my mate pointed out he had the ball in his hands so he must have grabbed the ball before the lad went over him. JCH was brought down just inside the area, nothing given. McDonald was fouled on the goal-line - ref was about to blow, looked at the lino- then nothing! Mellor was fortunate for a bit of a shove he got away with in the area.

I thought the midfield was better tonight and Wes had a decent game, Smith impressed again - as did Monty. Stand Out for them was their number 2 - Nicky Hunt formerly of Bolton, best player on the park and definitely can still play at a higher level in my book.

Ox - Couple of good saves, good handling and none too shabby on his weaker foot

Brown - Assuming he went off injured as he was carrying a knock going into the game. Thought Schmeltz going walkabout left him isolated

Tarky - Won everything in the air, couple of iffy moments in the long grass and sticky pitch.

Mellor - Thought it was his best game at the back, he's a work in progress but his heading improved tonight and still had the know how and ability to set that late scramble up

Grounds - Needed to push on more, did so better in the 2nd half. Defensively solid enough

Schmeltz - Not seeing it so far, tricky, quick and goes walkabout leaving us exposed down the right. If we're interchanging between left and right, fair enough BUT when both him and Monty are standing ten yards from one another then we have issues in leaving Brown isolated down the right and it's a recipe for trouble. Needs more discipline in his game and an end product. Plenty to work with. And tbf I think he played the initial ball in for the goal?

Smith - Full of energy, again looked to push on

Wes - Much better when he plays those 6-10 yards further forward. Showed good experience in getting between an Irate Monty and a Stanley player first half, when it looked like developing into an issue for the ref.

Monty - Like what I saw again, even won a couple of headers, at the heart of everything good we did in the final third. Looks fully fit. He wasn't last season.

Adam - Improves every game. Wins the ball, gets it wide - then on his bike into the box. Proper Number 9!

Baxter - Jose has simply worked his way through the gears. Curzon was a walk in the park for him. Macc he upped it slightly, tonight he brought more to his game again. His class shone like a beacon again. My MOM

Subs:

Byrne - Solid enough, you know what you are going to get

Rodgers - I'm beginning to see what he brings to the table, he probes forward - keeps us ticking over. Nothing spectacular but effective

JCH - For me although he put himself about, he's better from the start. Took him a while to get into what had become a melting pot of a game

MacDonald - Should have been a pen, couple of moments when it just got away from him. He's going to be useful back up

Dayton - Struggled to get into the game, but to be fair so did Schmeltz for long periods

All in all it was a good workout in humid conditions, Baxter got a 90 minute run out and Rooney impresses more and more. The game was feisty, I felt Macc were physical but Accy took it up a notch and we had to deal with a harsher aerial challenge.

Right that's me signing off for a week, off on my jollies in the morning….

Edited by oafcprozac

Regarding final pieces of jigsaw in defence.. are these coming via Liverpool? Was it PC Assist who overhead that Brendan Rodgers said of his son; if we were to look after him then he would definitely look after us?

Even LJ said that we were close to getting a CB in but was that just Eddie? I didn't see him appear tonight so is the Latvian one for the future and not for now?

Can I put something out there, LDJ sees Mellor as an emergency CB or to bring him on if we are holding a lead. LDJ knows Mellor is a CM, but he wants him playing as much as possible to keep his fitness up. The best way to do that is to play him at CB, as he can play 60-90 minutes there but would only really play 30-45 minutes in CM. Playing him at CB also helps Mellor work on those skills/aspects that a CB and a good CM need like positioning and strength.

Not playing Mellor in CM also allows Wes, Smith and Rodgers more time on the pitch. I fully expect us to sign a CB on loan, that player will be getting match time with his parent club at the moment, leaving us a place to squeeze Mellor into our team for the reasons above.

Can I put something out there, LDJ sees Mellor as an emergency CB or to bring him on if we are holding a lead. LDJ knows Mellor is a CM, but he wants him playing as much as possible to keep his fitness up. The best way to do that is to play him at CB, as he can play 60-90 minutes there but would only really play 30-45 minutes in CM. Playing him at CB also helps Mellor work on those skills/aspects that a CB and a good CM need like positioning and strength.

Not playing Mellor in CM also allows Wes, Smith and Rodgers more time on the pitch. I fully expect us to sign a CB on loan, that player will be getting match time with his parent club at the moment, leaving us a place to squeeze Mellor into our team for the reasons above.

My thoughts exactly.

These pre season games are to serve a manager's purpose not to play your best starting 11 every game. Tactics, positions every aspect are done for the manager to get what he wants for the players, not so we can see who will be where v Stevenage.

Edited by footy68

Haha!

I was going to post very similar to this.

Sama or someone similar to be in for Stevenage.

Whichever CM(s) come on from the bench will be fully fit. Starting CMs can run themselves into the ground

From the Chron on Mellor and CB...1 more inexperienced defender to come in!

VERSATILE David Mellor is at the head of the queue to join James Tarkowski in the centre of defence when the new season gets underway on Saturday week.

The 20 year old has been better known as a midfield player during his brief Athletic career, but his defensive display in last nights 1-1 draw at Accrington suggested he could be the answer to a problem position for manager Lee Johnson.

Johnson said of Mellor after the game: There are a couple of little things we have to go over, but they are only technical points while he gets used to the position. As regards playing out from the back, you wont get better in the division this season.

Johnson admitted he hoped to bring in another defender before the start of the league season, but it might not be the experienced campaigner some have suggested Athletic need.

At our level, if you get experience it tends to come with a lack of mobility, he said. In an ideal world you would have an experienced player who is good on the ball - but that costs money we havent got..

Mellor and Tarkowski formed a promising partnership last night, just as they did in Saturdays defeat of Macclesfield.

But Tarkowski had to make some telling last-ditch tackles as Accrington played the ball over the top in the second half.

Said Johnson: That is going to happen. If you want to play a high-pressure game, that means having a high line.

Over the course of a season it will be more beneficial to us than sitting deep and trying not to lose.

From the Chron on Mellor and CB...1 more inexperienced defender to come in!

VERSATILE David Mellor is at the head of the queue to join James Tarkowski in the centre of defence when the new season gets underway on Saturday week.

Oh my days. I've a feeling we're going to get the season off to a pretty poor start to be honest.

I can imagine Cliff Byrne is thrilled that Mellor is considered a better option at the back. Not much point him being here if he's not first choice now and we're looking to bring someone else in.

I'd imagine LJ has been completely open with Byrne about trying to get him off the wage bill if poss, trying Mellor there. There'll be no problem whatsoever in my eyes

As much as I like Byrne it's pretty clear that LJ wants to play a high defensive line. Yesterday we got caught a few times with balls over the top. Central defenders with pace is a must. Byrne doesn't fit into that category. Let him go back to Scunthorpe and use his wages on a more mobile defender.

I'd rather Latvian Eddie being given more time in pre-season to partner Tarky than starting with Mellor at Ctr Half if we don't get a loanee in.

I'd rather trust the judgement of the manager and his coaches when making this call. Especially as I've never seen the Latvian kick a ball.

I'd rather trust the judgement of the manager and his coaches when making this call. Especially as I've never seen the Latvian kick a ball.

Though clearly LJ has seen Eddie kick a ball or he wouldn't have signed him on for his preferred position.

If he decides to go with Mellor at ctr half he's asking for trouble.No drama yet though as he's trying to bring in another centre half.

Though clearly LJ has seen Eddie kick a ball or he wouldn't have signed him on for his preferred position.

If he decides to go with Mellor at ctr half he's asking for trouble.No drama yet though as he's trying to bring in another centre half.

That was my point. He's seen both of them play and considers Mellor the better option at the moment.

I don't see how any of us can have a better-informed judgement of the players in question.

I thought Mellor was excellent in the middle at the end of last season that's why I am disappointed to see him play at the back but if that's where the manager thinks he can play ill trust his judgement. Everyone says he isn't a cb but others have said he has regularly played there in the past so I am sure he can learn.

My main worry is the pairing with tarky I'd rather have one of them alongside a player of mvotos stature

That was my point. He's seen both of them play and considers Mellor the better option at the moment.

I don't see how any of us can have a better-informed judgement of the players in question.

I understand it's LJ's call and of course he sees each player daily in training to theoretically have a better judgement than that of my own or any other fan.I,like others on here are merely expressing a concern based on what has been seen in the pre-season games so far,i.e lack of positional sense,awareness and strength.If LJ decides to persist with Mellor in that role then hopefully he'll be able to iron out the shortcomings as he's mentioned.

...The Stanley goal was a bit of a mix up between Mellor and Tarky, a free-kick conceded and the deflection off Wes? Wrong-footed Ox who was unable to check his dive after committing....

My picture of the goal and my other pictures from Accy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/sets/72157634782202286/

9360585926_947dd87fbf_b.jpg

The seasons hasn't started and the centre backs are getting slated. Remember one point out of twenty seven last season and that was without Tarky /Mellor and all we get is JYM was brilliant. Get behind your team and trust your manager.

The seasons hasn't started and the centre backs are getting slated. Remember one point out of twenty seven last season and that was without Tarky /Mellor and all we get is JYM was brilliant. Get behind your team and trust your manager.

Its a supporter's discussion board where people discuss opinions about our team.

If you don't like it, don't read it!

It's really simple.