Stanley game

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And still the 2 holding midfielders, which like last season will produce few goals.This is one of several things LJ needs to address including bringing in a dominant centre back and cover for the full back slots.

Looks like playershare aren't going to get many minutes for their money, why hasn't the Latvian been given any time in the last 2 friendlies ?

Could have won, could have lost.

Incredible triple save by Dunbavin and a stonewall penalty denied.

Looked more like MacDonald dropped to the ground looking for a penalty to me.

Worried by the number of crosses Accrington got in especially in 2nd half.

Looked more like MacDonald dropped to the ground looking for a penalty to me.

Worried by the number of crosses Accrington got in especially in 2nd half.

A lot of goals were conceded that way last season, but LJ should know and rectify that.

Does the new keeper tend to stick on his line or take command of crosses ?

Edited by BP1960

Baxter looked a lot sharper tonight, Smith played well, JCH would start for me looked a handful when he came on. Conor Brown looked solid, is getting better on the ball all the time. Mellor is not a centre half. Thought it was a nailed on penalty, the linesman :censored: himself when the ref looked at him to make the decision, then gave a corner, their lad was no where near touching the ball. Thought 1st half we played some decent football.

A lot of goals were conceded that way last season, but LJ should know and rectify that.

Does the new keeper tend to stick on his line or take command of crosses ?

Ox has looked commanding enough in the friendlies I've seen him in so far.Got down well for a couple of low crosses whipped into the six yard box tonight.

Baxter looked a lot sharper tonight, Smith played well, JCH would start for me looked a handful when he came on. Conor Brown looked solid, is getting better on the ball all the time. Mellor is not a centre half. Thought it was a nailed on penalty, the linesman :censored: himself when the ref looked at him to make the decision, then gave a corner, their lad was no where near touching the ball. Thought 1st half we played some decent football.

I can see why, imagine being scared of making a bad decision in such a high class game.

Anyone impress or disappoint ?

Smith was very good, Baxter had a good game and I like the look of Sid. The defence though seems a major concern I reckon any decent team would have a field day against us.

Who was brought down for the penalty shout? JCH again?!

McDonald for the penalty shout.

JCH looked like a right handful again when he came on and McDonald was busy. Rodgers looked busy and bright too.

Thought Montano and Smeltz, with their nice touches and tricks, ultimately flattered to deceive.

Rooney put himself about but not much fell for him, just one decent header flashed wide.

Oxley looks commanding and has a good kick on him.

Quite impressive in midfield as a whole for me, thought we were quite comfortable and creative.

Really happy with attack and if we can sign Rooney (who holds it up really well and is the muscle we need). I was also impressed with JCH, who looks quite skillful and hungry. (I would love to see a 3 man attack with Baxter creating from behind for these 2)

Defence is my massive concern and I am really not exagerating when I say that I reckon we need 3 defenders (2 x CB and possible RB). Tarky's defending was fine but his distribution is :censored:ing awful (apart from his mazy runs). Several times we passed the ball back to him and he attempted to ping it to someone 40 yards away, only for it to drop short by 10 yards and it put us under the cosh several times. I like him but I'm not sure he is ready and I get the impression he is the main man (worrying).

If we had 2 solid, experienced centre halves in this team I really think we can progress.

Mellor is never a Central Defender, simples!

I also think Connor Brown is improving but we need somebody to push him.

Agree that we need central defenders but it means shipping someone out. We have Tarky, Byrne, Belezika, Cooper and Joksts on professional contracts. To bring in two more (and we clearly need at least one if not two) must mean losing at least one.

Personally I think Tarky has a lot to learn and needs a better player alongside him. If Byrne isn't up to the pace (I've no idea if he is or not) then as much as he seems to be the consummate professional and a great influence on the squad we can't afford him; let him go back to Scunny and bring in one or two replacements (probably one plus one on loan, I suspect finances will dictate). Get two out of Belezika, Cooper and Joksts out on loan for three months to pick up first team action and develop.

Quite impressive in midfield as a whole for me, thought we were quite comfortable and creative.

Really happy with attack and if we can sign Rooney (who holds it up really well and is the muscle we need). I was also impressed with JCH, who looks quite skillful and hungry. (I would love to see a 3 man attack with Baxter creating from behind for these 2)

Defence is my massive concern and I am really not exagerating when I say that I reckon we need 3 defenders (2 x CB and possible RB). Tarky's defending was fine but his distribution is :censored:ing awful (apart from his mazy runs). Several times we passed the ball back to him and he attempted to ping it to someone 40 yards away, only for it to drop short by 10 yards and it put us under the cosh several times. I like him but I'm not sure he is ready and I get the impression he is the main man (worrying).

If we had 2 solid, experienced centre halves in this team I really think we can progress.

Mellor is never a Central Defender, simples!

I also think Connor Brown is improving but we need somebody to push him.

Agreed, defence is the weakest department we have. I like Cliff as a person (spoke with him plenty to know that) and will make a great coach one day however I hope he gets his switch to Scunny. Two reasons, he would like the move back and currently is not first choice here. That would free up a good wage to look for a CB. Cliff could do a job for Latics but would need a decent CB with him who also had pace.

I again like Wes, but we could utilize his wage better in the defence area and have cover in the midfield should he depart. Both these changes are for the good of the squad as oppose to other reasons.

Based on the last few games what do we think the starting line-up will be?

Providing Rooney and CB joins on loan I reckon LJ starts with...

Oxley

Brown Tarky CB Grounds

Dayton (SID) Smith Wes (MELLOR) Montano

Baxter

Rooney (JCH)

In brackets is my team

Agreed, defence is the weakest department we have. I like Cliff as a person (spoke with him plenty to know that) and will make a great coach one day however I hope he gets his switch to Scunny. Two reasons, he would like the move back and currently is not first choice here. That would free up a good wage to look for a CB. Cliff could do a job for Latics but would need a decent CB with him who also had pace.

I again like Wes, but we could utilize his wage better in the defence area and have cover in the midfield should he depart. Both these changes are for the good of the squad as oppose to other reasons.

Couldn't agree more with this. No reflection on Byrne or Wes and it's no criticism of either but the money could be better used elsewhere.

Exciting going forward, :censored:e at the back.

Mellor isn't a CB and I think LJ needs to put the experiment to bed.

Leaky throughout through the heart of defence and too many crosses coming in from both flanks in the second half.

Oxley appears to stay on his line rather than come out for crosses/free kicks. Nothing wrong with that as long as he is a decent shot-stopper.

Exciting going forward, :censored:e at the back.

Mellor isn't a CB and I think LJ needs to put the experiment to bed.

Leaky throughout through the heart of defence and too many crosses coming in from both flanks in the second half.

Oxley appears to stay on his line rather than come out for crosses/free kicks. Nothing wrong with that as long as he is a decent shot-stopper.

Bouzy and Cisak were great shot stoppers but their reluctance to come for crosses was always a worry. We certainly don't need a perfect replacement in Oxley. I'm praying he can move his feet.

Thought we held the ball pretty well and passing was decent on the whole, just the final third was sometimes overplayed.

I feel that the wingers in the first half were more effective and would love to see them paired up with the strikers from the second half (Sid & Montano out wide, with Charlie Mac and JCH).

Good to see so many players capable of playing in midfield and what looks like good quality.

Thought Smith got involved a lot more when Wes went off too.

Connor Brown didnt seem to do much wrong to me, so maybe he has an injury.

Agree that Mellor has a lot to learn about playing CB, not that I can talk as I am a keeper.

Now, I am not bad mouthing Baxter as he scored and made some good runs and passes, but I felt we were more creative up front when he moved out wide (out of the way) allowing the CM to be more creative. Hoping we arent building a team around a formation that limits the team.

Not unhappy, but not inspired, in saying that it was a friendly, despite their fullbacks putting some aweful tackles in. Their number 2 was dirty, but also put in some excellent blocks.