Opening day away wins ?

Never forget a certain Ian Marshall hat trick away at wolves......that season ended well!,

i was at that game. half their ground had been condemned. it was really hot. Bull scored their two? we were at our fantastic best, and marshy's hat-trick was brilliant. wolves fans after the match were, shall we say, their usual selves - arseholes.

I remmeber a couple of years ago beating Tranmere away 2-1, Stephens scoring twice. And it was a dreadful season... Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself!

We were playing some decent stuff and doing ok until we took that 6-0 hammering at home to Southampton IIRC

Edited by dec666

i was at that game. half their ground had been condemned. it was really hot. Bull scored their two? we were at our fantastic best, and marshy's hat-trick was brilliant. wolves fans after the match were, shall we say, their usual selves - arseholes.

Me too, Marshall shot on the turn from what seemed 35 yards to lob the keeper....unforgettable

I went on Barlows. Roasting hot day. Superb start to the season (next away was the equally hot 1-0 win at Barnsley). Great away following to Wolves. Fisticuffs outside the ground before & after. Grab the points and go!

Not an opening day win but remember we drew against Wrexham at the racecourse back in 2001 was a good game and a decent 2nd half we were 3-1 down before David Eyres came of the bench and scored a trade mark 25 yarder before Carlo got his customary goal against Wrexham we took a decent following that day aswell.

3 times in 27 years prior to yesterday

86/87 1-0 at Derby - finished 3rd

90/91 3-2 at Wolves - Won the league

10/11 2-1 at Tranmere - great first half if the season then tailed off.

First time in 28 seasons yesterday that I've seen us win away on the opening day in the flesh....

73/74 was nothing special until the 10 straight wins according to my owd fella. We just clicked and never looked back.

Tbf the last Play Off Season under Shez we were pretty average until mid-September and then went on a superb run - until the wheels came off in mid-February, but 16 wins from 25 was impressive.

73/4 was a great run - we caught Bristol Rovers who had been unbeaten for the first 28 games and they were still top when they played their last game. We had two matches to go and needed a point to be champions. Lost at home to Charlton on Tuesday night then had to go to Plymouth on the Friday night. Got a 0 0 draw!

No Internet, live commentary, local radio or sky sports news to keep in touch either. Not sure how I heard the final score but it was great when I did.

Of course it was 2 pts for a win then. A ten match sequence of wins now would have even more impact.

Edited by LaticsPete