• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest i was glad to hear the final whistle yesterday.

If we are being critical of the contribution made by Cliff ( which was nowhere near as bad as some would believe ) then i think you ought to start at the top and work your way down from there !

LJ got it wrong yesterday as far as i am concerned, Baxter is positioned way too deep most of the times behind a midfield that consists solely of an overworked Korey Smith. Although to his credit, the introduction of Rodgers did help.

Our two wingers failed mostly to provide any kind of service for the strikers and it was all a bit too easy for a well marshalled Walsall defence.

nevermind,it is early days and we will improve !

Its not fair to blame cliff, we all know his strengths and weaknesses and no doubt he knows more about both than we do. I was :censored:ting blue lights with him and Tarky holding a line inside the other half though, one or other needs help to get away with that.

Byrne had a stinker yesterday but he was in for some unjust criticism, as others have stated he has had no pre season minutes and was always going to be off the pace. IMO I don't think he fits into the wy LJ wants to play as Johnson wants centre backs who can play the ball as well as central midfielders and with the greatest of respect Byrne is more of an old fashioned put your foot through it centre half. However there is no doubt his experience could be vital to our season, he came on the last ten minutes agains Stevenage and didn't put a foot wrong and you could see him being thrust into similar situations where sometimes a more experienced head is needed. Also as others mentioned he's great in the changing rooms and even when he wasn't playing last season he was on the sidelines yelling orders at the defence and giving them tips. A great role model to have at our club IMO, get off his back

Edited by 4froale

Sandra no one is questioning cliffs CV or leadership and guidance. LJ is wanting football on the ground and like many centre backs including Mvoto he doesn't have the ball on the floor game about him. Cliff is a player which will be a leader on the pitch and isn't afraid to put his head in where it hurts. Same with all players they all do have there faults! I think I speak for most OAFC fans in saying cliff is a player everyone wanted to keep in the summer as he is a player well respected by the fans so don't take it personally.

Appreciate the comments. To say he doesn't fit the gaffers style of play is no bother, that may be the case but won't stop him trying. I just felt like he was being singled out for criticism and being used as a scape goat for yesterday's loss when he wasn't even on the pitch when the goal was scored. I do try not to take it personally honest!

Appreciate the comments. To say he doesn't fit the gaffers style of play is no bother, that may be the case but won't stop him trying. I just felt like he was being singled out for criticism and being used as a scape goat for yesterday's loss when he wasn't even on the pitch when the goal was scored. I do try not to take it personally honest!

Please don't take too much notice, there are some on here who still blame Dave Penney for our poor performances.

lets not dress this up. liz macdonald proved why we should never sign anyone that Orient give a free transfer to, rooney will never score with service like that, the wide men were aweful, taxi for Dayton, !! people called for an experienced CH well. you got one, taxi for Byrne, my snails quicker, its early doors but the old adage that you pay peanuts you get monkeys is right, on a positive note LJ is tryinjg to play football lets hope he picks the right players and they gel because they clearly were,nt the best as seen from his subs who looked better,

lets not dress this up. liz macdonald proved why we should never sign anyone that Orient give a free transfer to, rooney will never score with service like that, the wide men were aweful, taxi for Dayton, !! people called for an experienced CH well. you got one, taxi for Byrne, my snails quicker, its early doors but the old adage that you pay peanuts you get monkeys is right, on a positive note LJ is tryinjg to play football lets hope he picks the right players and they gel because they clearly were,nt the best as seen from his subs who looked better,

yoga-breathe-meditation-baulkham-hills.g

And you normally post under what name?

As I've said in a different thread, I was if the opinion that Byrne was still worth his wage due to his experience and influence in & around this young squad; and with the bonus of being a dependable option to play CB as & when needed.

What I did fear though was that Cliff's lack of outright "footballing ability" * would simply not fit in with the new style, and his severe lack of pace would be exposed more than ever.

Yesterday proved that unfortunately.

Time and again he was found out, for pace - both in bog-standard foot races and of recovery, and so many times he simoly went wandering out of position leaving gaps right down our centre. I'm sorry to say, but everytime he had the ball at his feet, i was worried. Everytime their player looked to be about to have a foot face against him, i was worried...

For me, in an ideal world, Something needs to be arranged for Cliff to go back to Scunthorpe; as his wage can now be used better for the goidnif this squad. His positive influence on the squad is now simply not enough to warrant a healthy weekly wage with us.

When the legs go (and he was never the quickest anyway) and you get shambolic displays lime yesterday, its time to go.

* he's always been a row z defender, a no nonsense head it / kick it type. Whilst i do like the whole-hearted nature of those type of players; we now don't have the set up that needs that type of sort. Our passig from the back game disappeared completely once Cliff came on. Brutal facts are that he isn't, and has never ever been, the type of player who would be able to do that form of football tactic.

we had a young quick CH foe the last 4 games of last season and only conceded 2 goals why isn,t he on the bench instead of cliff richard

That would be the Dayton who was the man of the match a week ago

Was cliff one of the centre halves who let the ball run accross the box for their goal on saturday?

Was cliff one of the centre halves who went walkies, then stood there like a lemon not willing to get back in line?*

Was he the one who decided to be 5 yards deeper than the rest of the defense playing someone onside, but run with his hand in the air playing the offside trap??*

*This one managed to get man of the match too!!

For the record I thought tarky had a decent game on saturday. His positioning is appalling though. Sitting on the side it really highlights this. I'd love to see statistics of goals conceded and results with and without Tarky in the side. I very much doubt it would be favourable to him.

I think he has all the atributes to be a decent defender, if coached well - and has a partner who will help him.

Edited by pukka

I rate him very highly. Surely its refreshing to read such a view?

As much as JCH, Montano et all have, to an extent, grabbed the "headlines" / plaudits in pre-season and early doors inthe season, for me - it's been Tarky who has been the most impressive throughout.

He looks to have grown. He looks bigger in the upper body to me. But it's more than that. He looks to have grown in stature. He is now the leader of the back 5.

Composure on the ball. Hollywood passes out to wings that are landing perfectly on target. Strength in the tackle, and in the air. A threat from set pieces and a goal already.

Long may it continue, and i hope; game by game; he continues to silence some of the detractors he has.

As much as JCH, Montano et all have, to an extent, grabbed the "headlines" / plaudits in pre-season and early doors inthe season, for me - it's been Tarky who has been the most impressive throughout.

He looks to have grown. He looks bigger in the upper body to me. But it's more than that. He looks to have grown in stature. He is now the leader of the back 5.

Composure on the ball. Hollywood passes out to wings that are landing perfectly on target. Strength in the tackle, and in the air. A threat from set pieces and a goal already.

Long may it continue, and i hope; game by game; he continues to silence some of the detractors he has.

You'd need a heart of stone to not want the lad, or any home-grown player, to do well.

Just don't see it happening with Tarkowski though.