Jose Baxter - Sheffield United

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't really matter what his fee was, the more important fact is the freeing up of wages.

Exactly.

He would have easily been the highest earner. Wild guess but i'd imagine £3K to £4K a week signed in the Jan deal?

That money per week freed up, with the reported £150K - £200K fee and a sell on.

Well - for a player (a top class one for our level mind) who we picked up for free, and could have left for free in January.

All told, a decent bit of business.

Jose was a real pleasure to watch at times. At times, he was simply a joy. He also had a huge hand in the cup run and ultimately keeping us up.

He goes with a huge thanks and will get a very warm reception from me whenever he returns.

BUT - this money freed up will do wonders for LJ in terms of being now able to bring in another couple; on top of young Danny P and the new Italian CB

For the better of the team, squad and club as a whole.

Thanks Jose!

We've just lost the best football player in the squad.

We've just lost the best football player and most skilful player we have had since Eyresy or Sheridan.

We've just lost a player who wants to play first team football.

For those reasons, I'm genuinely gutted.

We are weaker without him.

However, if he had gone in January, which I have no doubt he could have, we would have got nothing for him. He could have left, but he didn't. He repaid our faith in him. And for that reason, as gutted as I am, I say thanks Jose. I hope you fulfil your talent and have a great career.

And I hope you don't stay at Sheffield United for too long.

Pedantic me, wishes to point out that we would have received something for Baxter in Jan as he was under 23/24 (depending on where he went) and we offered him a new deal.

The fact that he would have only been here for 4 months then would have meant it wasn't much, but it would have been something.

Pedantic me, wishes to point out that we would have received something for Baxter in Jan as he was under 23/24 (depending on where he went) and we offered him a new deal.

The fact that he would have only been here for 4 months then would have meant it wasn't much, but it would have been something.

Would we have got anything though? I thought the under 24 rule only applied if they came through our academy, which he didn't.

What does the rule say on this?

In my opinion we have just lost the most naturally gifted footballer at our club since the imcomparable Andy Ritchie ( I omit John Sheridan because of the age he was when he joined us).

Fans are forever being told to stick with their local teams , but it is truly soul destroying when a bigger kid (Sheff U in this case) wants what you have , and they will take it whatever,

Good luck to Jose on the rest of his career .

Mind this isn't as bad as West Ham raiding us for Mark Ward a week before the season began imo,

Unless he signed for Motherwell.

In my opinion we have just lost the most naturally gifted footballer at our club since the imcomparable Andy Ritchie ( I omit John Sheridan because of the age he was when he joined us).

Fans are forever being told to stick with their local teams , but it is truly soul destroying when a bigger kid (Sheff U in this case) wants what you have , and they will take it whatever,

Good luck to Jose on the rest of his career .

Mind this isn't as bad as West Ham raiding us for Mark Ward a week before the season began imo,

For what its worth stargazer its my opinion as well.

Must admit a little disappointed with the fee but in this day and age this situation could have been far worse. Jose signed a contract and helped us out massively in ensuring we would get some sort of a fee he didn't do a porter or even a matt smith we got to see his talents and get a fee at the end of the day!

I wish him well, this doesn't leave a sour taste at all I genuinely want to see him do well and fulfil his potential at the highest level possible level. He is a rare player these days one that wanted to get games and made wise choices to do so. Some credit must go to his dad who also put his own efforts into the club helping out on some days and of course bringing jose to games lol We have lost a great player and a great fan in his dad but we have momentum to replace and hopefully push on at the right end for a change. I cringe when people sing songs to ex players but Jose Baxter baby may get an airing on boxing day!!

One little, tiny, bonus to Jose going is we no longer have to worry at penalties (I know I did!). Thinking: "please don't :censored:ing chip it Jose!"

Adam Rooney will surely be penalty taker now, he's wanted them since pre-season but Joseph pulled rank.

Edited by alex_balls

While it is true to say most of us appreciated and loved Jose, it is worth looking at it from another angle to maybe soften the blow; it would be near impossible for this deal to have been completed without first asking Jose if he wanted to talk to Sheffield. Jose has not been kidnapped, he has gone willingly for a sum of money to HIS BENEFIT and a THANK YOU VERY MUCH sum of money to our club.

Further, if Corney has indeed taken less than the £250,000 release clause he himself disclosed, it likely means he and Johnson could identify a wider benefit to enable the club to push on. Surely we can all see that's what the club is trying to do, at long last.

And Jose didn't really want to stay.

While it is true to say most of us appreciated and loved Jose, it is worth looking at it from another angle to maybe soften the blow; it would be near impossible for this deal to have been completed without first asking Jose if he wanted to talk to Sheffield. Jose has not been kidnapped, he has gone willingly for a sum of money to HIS BENEFIT and a THANK YOU VERY MUCH sum of money to our club.

Further, if Corney has indeed taken less than the £250,000 release clause he himself disclosed, it likely means he and Johnson could identify a wider benefit to enable the club to push on. Surely we can all see that's what the club is trying to do, at long last.

And Jose didn't really want to stay.

Some good points there, think that by 'insisting' on a relatively low release clause Baxter wasn't looking to stay for the length of his contract, timing isn't ideal but better to go now rather in January when more chance of disruption.

@MENOAFC: Going back to points per game averages last season, it was 0.97ppg with JB and 1.86ppg without. #oafc

Proving the point that it's better to have a good team, rather than one outstanding individual.....

I think £350 k is a snip for a talent/prospect such as he, and I would hope the only bargaining chip we held was with a sell on clause.

Forgive me for not wishing to trawl through seventeen pages, but is there a sell on clause as part of the deal?? Please tell me there is!

Liverpool Echo Everton News reporting the sale went through for £350,000

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-transfer-rumour-mill-5816412

Keegan on Twitter..

MENOAFC @MENOAFC 1m

Not wanting to leave things on a sour note but £300k is wide of the mark, unfortunately. #oafc

Is that the rarely-wrong Liverpool Echo or the rarely-wrong MEN?

One little, tiny, bonus to Jose going is we no longer have to worry at penalties (I know I did!). Thinking: "please don't :censored:ing chip it Jose!"

I hope someone else takes up the mantle and starts dinking them.

Apparently Albert is a dinker, so I've pledged £10 to encourage him to stop it.

Judging by LJ's comments the clause was not met, we've sold our best player for under his already pitiful release clause?

LJ seems happy with Rusnak as a replacement, what happens when he bails back to City in Jan?

Edited by dec666