Latics 1-0 Carlisle: Post match discussion

A bit lucky with the penalty award, but should have had another one.

Amazing miss from Amooooooo.

Clinging on for chunks of the second half, Johnson should have changed it.

Grounds, Kusunga, Philliskirk and Millar excellent.

The referee a complete idiot for booking Wesolowski and Kusunga. Did Kusunga really get booked for time wasting when their player threw the ball away?

Edited by opinions4u

First half excellent, just needed an extra spark in and around their box and we would have prob stuck another couple in.

Second half we went backs to the wall too early, invited the pressure and almost paid for it, overall a very solid display all around and most importantly a display that earned 3 points.

Thought Smith set the tempo brilliantly from kick off and had a fantastic start to the game, looked a pen to me but one of those that arent always given but we should have had another anyway.

Kasunga had an impressive game too and Millar looked sharper than usual when he came on too, good to have some genuine competition for places and some good football at BP.

Bring on Wolves

A very welcome but hard earned win. The result was key today more than the performance, however, I do not want to see 8 players in our half for a corner kick no matter what the situation.

We played pretty well early doors but they came into it more and more towards the end and I honestly thought an equaliser was almost inevitable...... If not for a wonder save by Oxley it would have been 1 v 1.

Smith did much better today but I just wish he would release the ball a little quicker sometimes and it can be so frustrating. People keep saying we are due to hammer somebody soon but I can't see where a goal feast is going to come from.....we are still powder puff up front and home crowds will not increase until we start scoring a few more goals.

Happy with the points but not with the performance.....onwards to Wolves!

Phew....what a slog of a game.

I know people are still sitting on the fence reg Oxley but I thought he kept us in it today with a least three good saves

It wasn't pretty and I can't work out why some of our players seem to be paying in alternate positions, but hey oh, a win is a win and a clean sheet too

It definitely was not a pen, but the one just before the end of the 1st half was nailed on and he never gave that so all square i reckon. Kusunga had a damm good game today also thought Weso played well again, even though it was a great block from him when Rooney tried to score from our half with the keeper running back. Today showed us that we can play poorly and win which is a good 3 points although 1st half we should have put them out of the game. A quick word about the tosser in the blue T shirt at the front of the Carlisle fans, I would have thrown him out.

Tuff game. Charlie Mac going off was a blow.

Carlilse didnt have enough weapons to really hurt us. No pace and they didnt have enough quality upfront to unlock the defence who were largely excellent. Grounds MOTM for me.

Millar the wrong player to bring on. Couple of decent moments but would have rather he either went on the right or Clarke Harris should have been on,

Penalty was a kind of played for an got. Wasnt a great shooting position hink he was just stretching for it a bit - felt a hand or nudge went down. Took it well

2nd were the better side but as tired they came into the game Allen (there number 9) came on made himself a nuisence for a few minutes it all got panicky from a couple of corners and poistions in the box. We really needed to make changes. Rooney was shatterd. Smith barely saw the ball in the last 20 mins and Philiskirk who was a constant outlet first half barely got in the game.

Still we held on great save from Ox near the head (yeah lets have ruchubka in!?) and Grounds reacted to get the ball away.

I do think a better team would have got a draw today we needed some reinforcement and they didnt come which does worry me slightly but we won and thats all that matters

and the lad in the blue polo - moron how he didnt get kicked out i dont know

Edited by bluehobbit

Scrappy win is better than a loss playing pretty and this was just that

Whilst i always felt we could concede the win was deserved. Oxley made good saves at important times, as a unit we did ok at the back. Smith & Wes played well, philipskirk was exceptional 1st half & Milar did really well

A special mention to some old moaning dickheads in the main stand! When you are wining 1-0 keeping the ball as is clever as opposed to putting it in the box as is our players slowing the play down & killing time.

Calling Johnson clueless for making a sub in injury time is laughable

Sorry to mention it but it had to be heard to be believed and wound me right up

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Massive relief but the win and clean sheet should build confidence.

Millar, Kusunga and Rooney very good. Smith first half was excellent, faded in second a bit.

Agree LJ should have changed it up second half, preferably Winchester or Rodgers to get a foot on it and shore up midfield. Even Schmeltz or JCH on could have given that outlet to get it up and relieve pressure.

File this under the 'we'll play worse and win' from earlier in the season. Onwards to Molineux.

The penalty was slightly dodgy but was probably the right decision, although don't think the linesman would have given it, which is why their players were excessively upset. 2nd penalty shout (1st half still) was probably a penalty too but Dayton went down far, far too easily and gave the ref an excuse not to give it, which after already giving us one he was always going to take. According to my mate who sits in the Chaddy, the penalty shout 2nd half was the best of the lot, but similar probably applies.

I didn't hear any moaning from the main stand late in the game but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some. What I did hear which was worrying was a probably sarcastic cheer for Oxley when he came to take a cross, sarcasm is not something that should be used against our own players IMHO, but each to their own.

Agree we made hard work of it but the team are still forming, the times when we've played better and lost can cause mental scaring so they did well to protect the clean sheet. Closing out a few more games will help on this front and become habit forming.

All the teams are :censored:e in this league, Orient hardly looked anything special and they are running away with it, Carlisle had taken 10 from 12 until today, I'd be happy with a run like that.

As for the sub, the ref has to add on 30 seconds for each sub so it doesn't really waste time, breaks up the game a bit but I'm not convinced that it does give an advantage.

Very happy with the three points and the direction we appear to be going in. The team look united, pats on the back when a team mate did well and a few cross words when they didn't do the right thing which is healthy. Some of the passing in the first half looked like a team that had been playing together for a few seasons, looks like time on the training pitch is being used effectively.

There is no such rule. The referee can choose to stop his watch, but doesn't have to. Similar for goal celebrations.

Rule of thumb then, rather than rule - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20159223

Found the official law - http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-7---the-duration-of-the-match.aspx

"The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-7---the-duration-of-the-match.aspx#3CsMuhlsW3FwETdX.99"

Interesting people saying Kusunga stood out - thought his positioning was pretty bad at times.

Excellent performances from Smith, Mills and Millar (oh and Tarky, but that's standard..), but I thought Grounds was Man of the Match. Think he might even be quite badly injured but played through the pain barrier - Pearce-esque!

After a poor start to the season, wasn't a 1-0 home win over Carlisle (thanks to a penalty..) the catalyst to us going on a run which ended up with us getting to the play-offs under Sheridan? Just saying...

The blue polo kid what a tosser... what happened just after we scored? The group at the front wer going mental at one particular steward for ages (particularly the blue polo kid) and the group of stewards just stood and watched (including them breaking one of the advertising boards)

We saw the police taking some sort of statement off the steward in question later on so wondered if he'd been a bit heavy handed and thats why they let them off??

Kusunga was almost a winger at times as he was that far up the pitch. He did well though. Interesting watching him as a right back as he does look like he has the mentally of a more central player, the reverse of Grounds playing in the middle when he thinks like a left back. A few times both of these two started to shepherd the player the way their natural position would but then recovered.

Scrappy win is better than a loss playing pretty and this was just that

Whilst i always felt we could concede the win was deserved. Oxley made good saves at important times, as a unit we did ok at the back. Smith & Wes played well, philipskirk was exceptional 1st half & Milar did really well

A special mention to some old moaning dickheads in the main stand! When you are wining 1-0 keeping the ball as is clever as opposed to putting it in the box as is our players slowing the play down & killing time.

Calling Johnson clueless for making a sub in injury time is laughable

Sorry to mention it but it had to be heard to be believed and wound me right up

I was sat infront of them couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!