Well deserved point, Hob Nobbing & Own Goals on the Forecourt

17 of us set off in good spirits, and some serious refreshment was well underway by the time we passed the ill-fated Blue Bell minibus that had broken down for the second time with a broken brake pipe, luckily everyone was safe and they were able to limp back to Oldham. We arrived at Ashton Gate for 1pm, where my 10-year-old daughter and me were dropped off, as she was to be Latics’ mascot for the afternoon. Bristol City staff met us, were very welcoming and immediately took us on short tour of Ashton Gate. Despite my daughter being far from convinced we were allowed into the Home Dressing room, where she was able to get her programme signed. I could not get over the size of Jay Emmanuel Thomas – the guy is a beast and I certainly did not envy Tarky or Grounds in marking him!

I spotted a familiar face, one that has proved to be the scourge of Latics over the years – one Scott Murray. A thoroughly nice guy whilst I reminded him how he regularly destroyed us in the late 90s- mid 00s. I had never realised he was Scottish and his thick Scots accent took me by surprise. We had a couple of minutes to kill before the highlight of Rosie’s day – meeting the whole Latics team. The bus arrived and the players all looked relaxed before last off the bus – the prodigal son Lee Johnson, milked every moment of his return to Ashton Gate as he caught up with old friends and the supporters outside the players’ entrance. He certainly looked dapper in a light brown three-piece suit. He acknowledged Rosie and me and after the players had inspected the pitch, we were allowed into the Away dressing room. The lads looked relaxed as they posed for photos and signed her programme. Adam is a thoroughly decent chap, as were Muzza and Bobby Mimms. We had a brief chat with Lee Johnson, telling me there would be no repeat of Tuesday night. I explained I had seen it all before, a young team are always going to be inconsistent. Brilliant one week, hopeless the next. Key is trying to get the experience I alongside. He agreed but knows he has to work with mostly what he has given the budget constraints. However, he pointed out look out Bristol’s budget and look where they are in the league. We thanked Players and management for their courtesy and it was time for the pre-match kick about.

Whilst stood in the Ashton Gate dugouts, I spotted Mark Clemmitt from the BBC’s Football League Show; he explained there was a feature on Bristol City’s struggles tonight. I helpfully reminded him there would be two teams out there today and to try and give a balanced report. (One he ignored as the segment was simply Bristol City and inaccurate as the BBC stated Bristol dominated the first half which the did not at all) So it was time for the teams to come out, Rosie got to walk out with the welcoming Korey Smith and it was time for the game. Strangely, rather than walking us along the touchline to the away end, Bristol made us go back outside the ground and go through the away turnstiles which I found a bit poor. The home mascots did not have to do this, and we had our tickets anyway. Not too worry, only a minor point. Now for the main event!

The first 20 minutes were a bit of a non-event. Bristol looked nervous and unwilling to seize the initiative. Latics gradually worked their way into the game and twice in quick succession Jonson Clarke-Harris, forced his way inside and hit across the six-yard box, crosses that forced last-ditch clearances. The first of which only required a bit more desire from James Dayton to tap home. I can’t help but feel if Charlie MacDonald had been on the field we would have been 2-0 up by the midway point of the first half. A free kick was awarded out on our right 35 yards out, Clarke-Harris decided to have a go and promptly smashed the ball over the opposite stand. It was so high and wide that NORAD are tracking its’ trajectory. The teams traded chances, The Bristol Keeper grabbed a curling effort from just under his bar from Dayton before Bobby Reid flashed one into the side netting for the hosts. Then arrived the sucker punch; a cross from the left finds Oxley flatfooted as Emmanuel Thomas was allowed to acrobatically steer back across him. At the time I thought Latics’ keeper could have reacted quicker, in moving his feet. The replays do not argue. So 1-0 down to Bristol’s first effort (and only) on target all afternoon.

Latics continued to enjoy the Lion’s share of possession but fashioned very little in terms of clear-cut scoring opportunities. Danny Philliskirk was way too deep in the first half. The midfield was again too deep and Dayton although full of endeavour was delivering very little. Adam although working hard was getting little change from the two beasts at the heart of Bristol’s defence. Jonson Clarke-Harris on the other hand was our main threat bit lacked someone to properly support him and time and again in that first half, him and Adam were stood next to each other out wide. Coupled with a midfield that was not getting forward, then therein lied our problem of being anonymous in attack.

Early in the second half, Clarke Harris went down. I have seen penalties given for similar but it would have been soft. The referee decided the Latics striker had dived, the booking was harsh. The second half followed a similar pattern to the first. The away side having the majority of the ball, with Bristol reduced to the odd break that resulted in very little. Adam stumbled when well placed before handling. Korey Smith bustled his way through (something that needs to happen more often) before hesitating and his effort was blocked and deflected over. James Dayton flashed one wide as we finally began to up the ante. With 13 minutes to go, our reward finally came. Clarke Harris caused havoc on the edge of the box, the ball broke free and Dayton took a touch and smashed low and to the statuesque keeper’s left. It was more relief than delirium in the away end. By that time O’Driscoll had brought serial scrapper Gillet into the fray, suggesting he was sticking with the 1-0 he had. Latics were preparing to bring on Kirk Millar and Anton Rodgers at 0-1. Adam had already been sacrificed in favour of Montano a few minutes before Dayton’s leveller.

Latics were now torn between keeping what they had and going for the winner and to be honest the remaining 15 minutes or so drifted out into a draw. Johnson tried to go for it by bringing Schmeltz and Rodgers on late but no further clear cut chances were fashioned. Bristol created nothing either which was a surprise given their predicament. All in all a thoroughly deserved point, you could argue we deserved to win the game but given that chances at both ends were a premium a draw was a fair result. We are still not working goalkeepers enough and whilst we continue to not do that, then goals and points will be in short supply. However 7 points from 15 does suggest a recovery of sorts and one we can take into the two-week ‘cup break’.

Oxley – Very little to do, I’m convinced he could have done a lot better on the goal 6

Kusunga – I prefer him at right-back, some great footwork in the build up to our goal and little got past him all afternoon – apart from the cross for the goal 7

Tarkowski – reined in the wandering, kept his concentration and generally distributed well. Goal apart kept the dangerous Emmanuel Thomas quiet 7

Grounds – steady afternoon, found blue shirts more often than not 7

Mellor – Played us out of defence well, gave it away once or twice but no real dramas. Couple of crunching tackles. Could have pushed on more, but a steady afternoon 7

Dayton – Infuriating in the first half, then unplayable for 20 minute spell up to his goal. With a bit more desire could have had a hat-trick if he had fully met JCH two balls across in the first half 7

Smith – relatively quiet first half, but kept possession well and drove us on in the second half 8

Wesolowski – Does what he does, wins the ball finds a blue shirt 7

Philliskirk – Poor first half far too deep and difficult to see whether he was wide or playing in behind. Improved marginally second half but not his best afternoon 6

Adam – Worked hard but needs to be in the box more. If JCH is doing his spadework then take advantage of it and get on the end of things! 6

Clarke –Harris – Worked his socks off all afternoon, created a couple of cracking opportunities that should have been taken by others. Had a hand in the goal and gave Bristol no peace all afternoon. Much more like the lad I thought we were getting when he signed. He has to build on this now and believe that he can be a handful. I hope the manager will trust him more too. 9 MOM

Subs:

Montana – Gave us more width than previously but very little came off 6

Schmeltz – Little impact as the game petered into a stalemate 6

Rodgers – As above 6

All in all Bristol were there for the taking, bit our lack of cutting edge probably cost us two points. We played well up until the final third were moves invariably broke down, there wasn’t anyone in the danger areas or passes were over hit through to the keeper. A bit of patience and nouse and the goals will come. After our horrendous run of 6 straight away defeats, the point is a very welcome one.

So the journey home was a none event until we stopped to fill up 20 or so miles out of Bristol. Our minibus driver informed us he’d accidentally stuck 40 quids worth of petrol into a diesel tank – oops. We decided to fill the remaining 2/3 of the tank with diesel and hope for the best! Everything would be hunky dory I reckoned as long as we kept the engine running. First few miles or so we were a bit juddery but making progress. One of our party had lost his keys he thought at one of our stops on the way down. They weren’t at Michaelwood so we ploughed on up to Frankley, where we made the mistake of turning off the engine whilst the lad nipped over to the southbound area to try and locate his missing keys. No keys there either, and the minibus would not fire up! :censored:! After half an hour of trying to get the bugger to start, we had to bite the bullet and ring the recovery people. They were little help as after another half hour suggested we ring the fuel doctor. Then a miracle! Just as the fuel people were calling us back with an ETA the bugger kicked into life! We floored the bugger (well to its top speed of 60!) and after another juddery few miles cruised home. Arriving back into God’s own country just after 10.30! What a day, the sort of day you look back fondly over the course of the season.

Looking forward to Gillingham now, but the driver will be supervised at all times on Petrol forecourts from now on!

Edited by oafcprozac

17 of us set off in good spirits, and some serious refreshment was well underway by the time we passed the ill-fated Blue Bell minibus that had broken down for the second time with a broken brake pipe, luckily everyone was safe and they were able to limp back to Oldham. We arrived at Ashton Gate for 1pm, where my 10-year-old daughter and me were dropped off, as she was to be Latics’ mascot for the afternoon. Bristol City staff met us, were very welcoming and immediately took us on short tour of Ashton Gate. Despite my daughter being far from convinced we were allowed into the Home Dressing room, where she was able to get her programme signed. I could not get over the size of Jay Emmanuel Thomas – the guy is a beast and I certainly did not envy Tarky or Grounds in marking him!

I spotted a familiar face, one that has proved to be the scourge of Latics over the years – one Scott Murray. A thoroughly nice guy whilst I reminded him how he regularly destroyed us in the late 90s- mid 00s. I had never realised he was Scottish and his thick Scots accent took me by surprise. We had a couple of minutes to kill before the highlight of Rosie’s day – meeting the whole Latics team. The bus arrived and the players all looked relaxed before last off the bus – the prodigal son Lee Johnson, milked every moment of his return to Ashton Gate as he caught up with old friends and the supporters outside the players’ entrance. He certainly looked dapper in a light brown three-piece suit. He acknowledged Rosie and me and after the players had inspected the pitch, we were allowed into the Away dressing room. The lads looked relaxed as they posed for photos and signed her programme. Adam is a thoroughly decent chap, as were Muzza and Bobby Mimms. We had a brief chat with Lee Johnson, telling me there would be no repeat of Tuesday night. I explained I had seen it all before, a young team are always going to be inconsistent. Brilliant one week, hopeless the next. Key is trying to get the experience I alongside. He agreed but knows he has to work with mostly what he has given the budget constraints. However, he pointed out look out Bristol’s budget and look where they are in the league. We thanked Players and management for their courtesy and it was time for the pre-match kick about.

Whilst stood in the Ashton Gate dugouts, I spotted Mark Clemmitt from the BBC’s Football League Show; he explained there was a feature on Bristol City’s struggles tonight. I helpfully reminded him there would be two teams out there today and to try and give a balanced report. (One he ignored as the segment was simply Bristol City and inaccurate as the BBC stated Bristol dominated the first half which the did not at all) So it was time for the teams to come out, Rosie got to walk out with the welcoming Korey Smith and it was time for the game. Strangely, rather than walking us along the touchline to the away end, Bristol made us go back outside the ground and go through the away turnstiles which I found a bit poor. The home mascots did not have to do this, and we had our tickets anyway. Not too worry, only a minor point. Now for the main event!

The first 20 minutes were a bit of a non-event. Bristol looked nervous and unwilling to seize the initiative. Latics gradually worked their way into the game and twice in quick succession Jonson Clarke-Harris, forced his way inside and hit across the six-yard box, crosses that forced last-ditch clearances. The first of which only required a bit more desire from James Dayton to tap home. I can’t help but feel if Charlie MacDonald had been on the field we would have been 2-0 up by the midway point of the first half. A free kick was awarded out on our right 35 yards out, Clarke-Harris decided to have a go and promptly smashed the ball over the opposite stand. It was so high and wide that NORAD are tracking its’ trajectory. The teams traded chances, The Bristol Keeper grabbed a curling effort from just under his bar from Dayton before Bobby Reid flashed one into the side netting for the hosts. Then arrived the sucker punch; a cross from the left finds Oxley flatfooted as Emmanuel Thomas was allowed to acrobatically steer back across him. At the time I thought Latics’ keeper could have reacted quicker, in moving his feet. The replays do not argue. So 1-0 down to Bristol’s first effort (and only) on target all afternoon.

Latics continued to enjoy the Lion’s share of possession but fashioned very little in terms of clear-cut scoring opportunities. Danny Philliskirk was way too deep in the first half. The midfield was again too deep and Dayton although full of endeavour was delivering very little. Adam although working hard was getting little change from the two beasts at the heart of Bristol’s defence. Jonson Clarke-Harris on the other hand was our main threat bit lacked someone to properly support him and time and again in that first half, him and Adam were stood next to each other out wide. Coupled with a midfield that was not getting forward, then therein lied our problem of being anonymous in attack.

Early in the second half, Clarke Harris went down. I have seen penalties given for similar but it would have been soft. The referee decided the Latics striker had dived, the booking was harsh. The second half followed a similar pattern to the first. The away side having the majority of the ball, with Bristol reduced to the odd break that resulted in very little. Adam stumbled when well placed before handling. Korey Smith bustled his way through (something that needs to happen more often) before hesitating and his effort was blocked and deflected over. James Dayton flashed one wide as we finally began to up the ante. With 13 minutes to go, our reward finally came. Clarke Harris caused havoc on the edge of the box, the ball broke free and Dayton took a touch and smashed low and to the statuesque keeper’s left. It was more relief than delirium in the away end. By that time O’Driscoll had brought serial scrapper Gillet into the fray, suggesting he was sticking with the 1-0 he had. Latics were preparing to bring on Kirk Millar and Anton Rodgers at 0-1. Adam had already been sacrificed in favour of Montano a few minutes before Dayton’s leveller.

Latics were now torn between keeping what they had and going for the winner and to be honest the remaining 15 minutes or so drifted out into a draw. Johnson tried to go for it by bringing Schmeltz and Rodgers on late but no further clear cut chances were fashioned. Bristol created nothing either which was a surprise given their predicament. All in all a thoroughly deserved point, you could argue we deserved to win the game but given that chances at both ends were a premium a draw was a fair result. We are still not working goalkeepers enough and whilst we continue to not do that, then goals and points will be in short supply. However 7 points from 15 does suggest a recovery of sorts and one we can take into the two-week ‘cup break’.

Oxley – Very little to do, I’m convinced he could have done a lot better on the goal 6

Kusunga – I prefer him at right-back, some great footwork in the build up to our goal and little got past him all afternoon – apart from the cross for the goal 7

Tarkowski – reined in the wandering, kept his concentration and generally distributed well. Goal apart kept the dangerous Emmanuel Thomas quiet 7

Grounds – steady afternoon, found blue shirts more often than not 7

Mellor – Played us out of defence well, gave it away once or twice but no real dramas. Couple of crunching tackles. Could have pushed on more, but a steady afternoon 7

Dayton – Infuriating in the first half, then unplayable for 20 minute spell up to his goal. With a bit more desire could have had a hat-trick if he had fully met JCH two balls across in the first half 7

Smith – relatively quiet first half, but kept possession well and drove us on in the second half 8

Wesolowski – Does what he does, wins the ball finds a blue shirt 7

Philliskirk – Poor first half far too deep and difficult to see whether he was wide or playing in behind. Improved marginally second half but not his best afternoon 6

Adam – Worked hard but needs to be in the box more. If JCH is doing his spadework then take advantage of it and get on the end of things! 6

Clarke –Harris – Worked his socks off all afternoon, created a couple of cracking opportunities that should have been taken by others. Had a hand in the goal and gave Bristol no peace all afternoon. Much more like the lad I thought we were getting when he signed. He has to build on this now and believe that he can be a handful. I hope the manager will trust him more too. 9 MOM

Subs:

Montana – Gave us more width than previously but very little came off 6

Schmeltz – Little impact as the game petered into a stalemate 6

Rodgers – As above 6

All in all Bristol were there for the taking, bit our lack of cutting edge probably cost us two points. We played well up until the final third were moves invariably broke down, there wasn’t anyone in the danger areas or passes were over hit through to the keeper. A bit of patience and nouse and the goals will come. After our horrendous run of 6 straight away defeats, the point is a very welcome one.

So the journey home was a none event until we stopped to fill up 20 or so miles out of Bristol. Our minibus driver informed us he’d accidentally stuck 40 quids worth of petrol into a diesel tank – oops. We decided to fill the remaining 2/3 of the tank with diesel and hope for the best! Everything would be hunky dory I reckoned as long as we kept the engine running. First few miles or so we were a bit juddery but making progress. One of our party had lost his keys he thought at one of our stops on the way down. They weren’t at Michaelwood so we ploughed on up to Frankley, where we made the mistake of turning off the engine whilst the lad nipped over to the southbound area to try and locate his missing keys. No keys there either, and the minibus would not fire up! :censored:! After half an hour of trying to get the bugger to start, we had to bite the bullet and ring the recovery people. They were little help as after another half hour suggested we ring the fuel doctor. Then a miracle! Just as the fuel people were calling us back with an ETA the bugger kicked into life! We floored the bugger (well to its top speed of 60!) and after another juddery few miles cruised home. Arriving back into God’s own country just after 10.30! What a day, the sort of day you look back fondly over the course of the season.

Looking forward to Gillingham now, but the driver will be supervised at all times on Petrol forecourts from now on!

ROONEY, ROONEY,ROONEY,ROONEY,ROONEY

Re Why Brizzle made you leave and then come back in, have you given thought to the concept that it was for health and safety purposes. Either an errant ball, or excessive abuse?

Good report, especially as given by your tweets I was expecting a harsher mark for Dayton.

It's frustration over Dayton - there's a helluva player in there but he's pst his way. I think the psychological impact of his injury still eats away at him thus his lack of wanting to get stuck in where it hurts. He should have put JCH's first cross away no danger yesterday. I think anyone else would have scored. Having said that most wingers have a certain degree of 'self-preservation', but i'm not so sure he is a winger.

If JCH learns to stay on his feet he'll become a top player. The ref had already marked his card for going down too easily before he booked him.

It's a trait I've picked up....needs nipping in the bud or he's in danger of becoming a chrissy Taylor.......and the oscar goes to....

I hope I'm not being too picky here, just trying to be constructive.

Looking at the video 5 Latics defenders were facing their own goal for the Thomas strike, Smith failed to close him down.

As prozac says another trend is for crosses to come in far too easily from unmarked players with the keeper too often rooted to his line,

A lack of sharpness in front of goal by the strikers is all too familier.

These are things LJ needs to address on the training ground

Edited by BP1960

Good report Prozac. Thought JCH was immense yesterday and Kusunga certainly ran him a close second. Some of Kusunga's footwork in tight situations was superb and he wasn't afraid to get forward and support the attack. Carry on like that and it could be a case of Matteo and Connor who?

Having watched the replay, I'm not surprised Oxley didn't move for their goal. I still think Emmanuel-Thomas shinned it rather than made proper contact and it didn't actually end up where he thought it would. All opinions, though.

I honestly thought we should have had all three points, but what was the BBC bloke on about when he said that City showed enough in the first half to carry on the good work from Carlisle? Sean O'Driscoll's interview after the match disputed that. It would have been nice if he'd mentioned how well we'd kept them quiet. The strange Brummie accent of the geezer who managed all of about 15 seconds of the highlights reminds me of the one that does Elite League ice hockey on Sky. Same bloke? Maybe.

As an aside, the shot of the fella buying a programme at the stall outside the ground was my very good mate, Mac from Bath, who a number of you have met. He rang me up this morning, all star struck.

I hope I'm not being too picky here, just trying to be constructive.

Looking at the video 5 Latics defenders were facing their own goal for the Thomas strike

It was awful.

Smith failed to close him down.

It was awful.

As prozac says another trend is for crosses to come in far too easily from unmarked players

It was awful.

with the keeper too often rooted to his line

The one time he wasn't yesterday he was in no mans land and Bobby Reid should have scored. But too much has to be defended twice because he doesn't own the six yard box.

A lack of sharpness in front of goal by the strikers is all too familier.

A reluctance to shoot, specifically Smith and (ironically) Dayton, is what was driving me mad yesterday.

A worthy read Prozac :coffee1:

Definitely a good read.

Kusunga looked very good at right back - I would be tempted to keep him there and keep Grounds in the centre alongside Tarkowski.

I also think that an extended run for both Mellor and JCH is the way forward.

The team that started at Bristol looks a well balanced option - just one key position that still needs sorting - the main striker - and it was looking like McDonald was the choice pre injury.

Interesting to see if LJ sticks with the same side against Wolves. I certainly would until McDonald is fit to resume..

Edited by TheBigDog

Agreed but I think it's very harsh of LJ to fine JCH for diving.

Was discussing this at work today, IMO LJ has got it right, JCH could be a formidable player for us he just needs to channel all his talent into doing the right things. Getting a reputation for diving will do him no good, if he is going to get hit in the pocket for it he may think twice.

Agreed but I think it's very harsh of LJ to fine JCH for diving.

I think there may be a bit of tough love going on between manager and player. LJ had IIRC already spoken about him going down too easily and the referee had already ignored one or two easy tumbles from our big striker.

I assume the fine is for getting caught. A successful dive might have warranted no punishment.

I think there may be a bit of tough love going on between manager and player. LJ had IIRC already spoken about him going down too easily and the referee had already ignored one or two easy tumbles from our big striker.

This is what happens when copying Subbuteo players.

Many a true word spoken in jest.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/83285/finger-flickin-good