What are your Latics moments you'll never forget?

'The Penalty' . An amazing climax to a stupendous game and season.

Ritchie scoring to take the lead against Champions Arsenal in the League Cup.

Ritchie equalising at The Dell in the 93rd minute of League Cup Q/F

Roger's hat trick goal at Maine Road .

Rick Holden making it 4-0 in League Cup semi final seconds into the second half , confirming we were going to Wembley.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some League One Moments

Maybe not as significant as some, but boy they felt good:

1) Swansea (a) 0-1 - Warne's goal to send us one nil up. One of the few games that survived the weather, 300 or so tics there in the snow, non stop singing, a single Warne goal sent us top and many of us that day thought this was the time.

2) Tranmere (a) 0-1 - Mental's last minute winner. Will live long in the memory. We'd not scored for about 5 games or something, battered them all game and it was still 0-0. Then in the 96th minute a flying Davies meets Hughesys cross and gave us all 3 points. A tuesday night game 6th Nov 2007.

3) Scunthorpe (a) 1-1 - Macca for obvious reasons

4) Colchester (h) 1-0 - Butchers 95th minute headed winner, to keep our chances of promotion going against a Colchester side that was up there with us.

5) Forest (a) 0-2 - That Tuesday night game. We hadn't won all season, they hadn't lost all season. We took about 400, non stop singing and a superb performance, a Porter double. Night of Chubbs funeral as well iirc.

6) Gillingham (a) 0-3 - Not the performance, just how wet it was!

7) Millwall (a) 2-3 2-3 - Both of these were memories. The latter more so for the 92nd minute Taylor winner to keep us in the top 6, but the first game was superb. Hughes hat-trick, two red cards, penalty, pitch invaders, had everything, the atmosphere that day was immense, hostile but immense.

8) Brighton (a) 1-2 - Liddel's screamer just before the break to put us 2-0 up. We'd gone on such a wobble that missing out on the top 6 was a real possibilty after 1 win 7. This result more a less got us over the line.

This is one of my favourite threads as well as being one of my less favourite threads of this season on here. Favourite because it allows us to reminisce about fantastic memories, less favourite because you only want 5, it's like one of my university papers with a word limit which could easily be breached by double and still leave stuff to say.

First started watching in October 88

1.) Ian Olney's last minute winner against Spurs in Dec 92 because I was the mascot and somehow in my 8 year old brain felt I had actually helped.

2.) The ref giving the penalty for Sheridan's tackle on Andy Barlow in 91 and the penalty.

3.) Matt Smith v Everton

4.) Gary Mac against Scunny

5.) Not being able to watch as Matt Le Tissier tried to relegate us virtually single-handed in 93.

No particular order...

Gary Kellys save against City in the last min at Maine Road in '99. I can't remember who took the free kick, but it was sailing into the top corner. Somehow he managed to claw it away, and at that moment I realised we were going to beat them. It was one of the only times I ever couldn't wait to get back into school on Monday morning.

There was a moment in the game at Leeds on NY Day in 2008 when it dawned on me just how good we were playing and how much of a tanning we were giving them. To do that at Elland Road felt pretty special.

A few days later, Everton away.

Smithy's equalizer against Everton last season.

The second half at Swindon in 2004. The atmosphere in the away end in that half was incredible. And the feeling we had at the end when we had sealed survival in the league, but also as a club was immense.

If I did this again tomorrow, I've no doubt that list would be slightly different.

Since the glory years , the best moment for me was when Wabara's header that I thought was going well over the bar ,was in the net. There was a millisecond of quiet before the explosion of noise in the Rocky Road End as we went 3-1 up against the five times Kings of Europe .....and we were 17th in Division 3.

Stitch at Southampton,

Amazing day out, great finish to a great day, the days of the high wire fencing, completely covered with screaming latics fans, many of who were in the away end as we had 1000 + locked out, Saints fans on the pitch at the end an all that....

Wembley and Promotion clear Big days, but Southampton away was Amazing.

Been a tic since 1984 !! Top 5 moments...

5. The night before wembley 1990/91 at Cambridge university ... How the other half live .. Lesson in etiquette ... Amazing night out never ever forgotten.

4. The day after when the right half of wembley was blue and White ... A day I will never forget

with the people who matter. Superb ... Even the journey home was fantastic. We didn't lose that day we came second !!.

3. 0898 121142 .. Latics clubcall this is what told me .. From the comfort of my office that we were beating west ham 6-0 .. That cost the company I work for around £70 ... Lived on the edge for a few weeks :) they never found out it was me.

2. Matt smiths equaliser v everton ... Sheer sheer class .

1. Embracing a complete stranger at the final whistle v Southampton.. I have no idea who you were .. And to my knowledge I've never seen her at another match .. But when I looked up from that hug with tears running down my cheek .. I realised every other bugger was on the pitch and we were alone in an empty chaddy end ...

Edited by andy_b_100

Sheff Wednesday 3-2

QPR (wrong reasons but I was only 11 in 94 so I don't remember Hughes' goal cutting me as deep as Furlong's)

Beating City FA cup. A dislike formed over time.

Smith's equaliser against Everton. Just reminded me of being a kid where it was just surprise after surprise.

I'll go for McDonald's at Scunthorpe as well, just relief and quality celebrations.

Could easily be 5 of another 100 on another day.

Ye Gods, there's so many. But here goes, though not necessarily in the right order.

1. My first ever game in August 1950. We lost 5-4 to Rovrum, but it started my love affair with Latics. I will admit that, over the years, I had actually forgotten the score and had to look it up, but I knew it was a goalfest
  2. Bobby Johnstone's first appearance at BP. Not only did he give defenders twisted blood, he even had the crowd going the wrong way sometimes
  3. Walloping Southport 11-0 on Boxing Day 1962. Bert Lister netting 6 of them. Christ, it was cold and more than just a sprinkling of snow on the pitch
  4. Carlo Corazzin scoring at Upton Park in the League Cup to dump West Ham out. Again. We went bloody mental and then found out that the tube station was shut with a queue a mile long and had to walk sodding miles to another one
  5. League Cup Final 1990. Like many other grown men, crying genuine tears of pride at my Latics' superb attempt at some major silverware
  6. I'll combine a few: Bert Trautmann playing as a centre forward at BP in a pre-season friendly sometime, I think, in the late 50s; Seeing us batter Huddersfield 6-0 to guarantee promotion in 1974 with Alan Groves tormenting the life out of them; the 7 minutes of magic at Nottingham Forest last season; plus two that I could only watch on TV - Liverpool and Everton from last season

Actually, this one has to go in as well. Seeing Karl "Knobhead" Robinson virtually in tears on TV because "Likkle Latics" had beaten his Dongs and he described it as "the worst day of my life". :laught30:

May you and you disgusting club have many, many more.

My dad took me to my first game as a 3 year old so either 78 or 79. I started getting dragged there regularly by oafc21 aged 12 in the 87-88 season.

1. Redfearn's penalty v Sheff Weds.

2. The minutes before the final whistle at Ipswich. Drinking in the feeling of being promoted to the top flight for the first time in however long.

3. Smith's equalizer v Everton. I think I went mentaller than Redfearn's penalty (we were used to such shenanighans back then).

4. 5-0 v Forest - the best we've been since no.1.

5. Ritchie's header to make it 3-0 against Arsenal 1990.

also...

My then 2 year old lad singing Jose Baxter Baby for about 5 minutes on his own in the RRE closely followed by Jose Baxter scoring and everyone in front of us turning round giving him clenched fists. :grin:

Coming down the hill looking down on the already heaving Barnsley away end 90-91 at about 2pm ":censored:, we'll never get in".

The Regal Moon after Rochdale away the other season.

The two semi-finals against United in 1990. I was 14 years old and drank it all in. I can still smell and taste it all today.

Millwall away 90-91. Terrifying but it encapsulated the heightening of the senses, butterflies etc.. football used to give you before they ruined it.

Birmingham away the same season. Dodgy as can be. Did we win 1-0? Frankie Bunn?

Neil Redfearn's equalizer in the 2-2 away at Hull 90-91. I always remember that vividly for some reason.

Reuben Hazell's screamer away at Leeds.

The pasties ( I had two) at Plymouth away on a wet Tuesday night 90-91. We lost 2-0.

Barrett's goal at Anfield.

Collusso's equalizer at Bury.

Kuqi's wonder goal at Rochdale.

Wesolowski's equalizer at Preston. Bleeding shins, bleeding earlobe.

The grass verge outside Sainsbury's Ipswich before the promotion match.

The Regal Moon was unbelievable after Doggers, then the heavies came in and ruined it by throwing everyone out...

first game 92 but only remember being so small on the Rocky terrace that I didn't enjoy it so came back for my first top 5 memory...

1) Oldham 5-2 Charlton, super Sean with a brace along with two Lee Richardson screamers.

2) Leeds away 3-1. NYD

3) Gary Mac Everton away FA Cup R3.

4) Gary Mac Scunthorpe away, mental scenes.

5) My best memory of watching Latics, Matty Smith's equaliser against Everton, and then the scenes in the RRE for 15/20 minutes after the game, ole ole ole ole Matty Smith Smith Smith, that is without doubt my favourite memory/moment watching Latics.

Pick any 5 from:

David Shaw's equaliser against Liverpool at Anfield in February 1977. Four minutes of living with legends.

Ian Marshall's 2nd goal at Ipswich in April 1991. :censored:, we are going up!

Neil Redfearn's penalty against Sheff Wed at BP May 1991. Never saw the ball hit the net as I fell off the step in the Chaddy end.

Neil Pointon's goal at Wembley in April 1994. Dare to dream!

Gary McDonald's goal at Everton in January 2008. They'll equalise at least - won't they?

Robbie Simpson's strike at Liverpool in January 2012. Two minutes of madness!

The final whistle at BP against Liverpool in January 2013. Pride and joy.

Matt Smith's last ditch leveller at BP against Everton in February 2013. Must have got a speck of dust in both eyes!

To be continued . . . . . ?

Three bad, two good..

Rick Holden being sent off for “pushing” Lee Dixon on his second home debut – was gutted.

Not as gutted as Wembley in ’94, though. Not sure if we’d be in a better position now if that goal hadn’t gone in, but we would have won the Cup (having done the double over Chelsea in the league..), survived in the top flight for another season and got into Europe. Other memories from that day – the big flag, Graeme Sharp’s missed opportunities to put the game to bed, the band in our end and the despicable behaviour of United fans.

Defeat at Elm Park, which pretty much condemned us to what seems like eternity in this division. Everything was terrible about that day; The ground, Reading’s fans, the Stitch missed penalty, the fact McCarthy had a perfectly good goal disallowed, Andrew Hughes’ suicidal back-pass to gift them their first. A day of real low points.

My first ever Latics’ game – walking through the Vicarage Road cabbage patches in time to see the ball hit the back of the Watford net and Neil Redfearn celebrate, in the Championship season.

Nick Henry scoring from the half-way line in the last minute at Stamford Bridge – took an age to go in after Dave Beasant needlessly shanked it.

4) Colchester (h) 1-0 - Butchers 95th minute headed winner, to keep our chances of promotion going against a Colchester side that was up there with us.

Headed winner? He slammed it in from about the edge of the box IIRC.

The Cup run last year and Reuben Hazel stonking in a 25 yard volley at Elland Road...

To date the best Latics goal I have ever seen.

1. Gerrard hitting the bar.... The Final whistle vs Liverpool this year - Until Gerrard hit the bar I was convinced we wouldn't win anyway so wasn't nervous. As soon as he did the nervous all arrived en masse. 90 mins of tension built up in 3 mins. How I didn't have a heart attack I don't know. The whistle went and it was the most barmy I've ever gone at a game. No one will ever convince me an equaliser will ever be as good as winning. I can't get my head around that. Without question my favourite Latics moment.

2. Adams header vs United. I remember the goal clearly - how barmy I went. I remember McClair hitting the bar too. The final whistle I don't

3. Baxter free kick vs Forest. Finished off the strangest (in a good way) 10 minutes I've ever had as a latics fan. No one in the ground saw it coming!

4. Kuqi Pen vs Sheff United. From the crap proceding it. What a turnaround.

4. Darren Beckford's goal vs Bolton. I remmber it clearly. I was stood in the corner near a bloke with a brolly. Bang. We were right behind it.

I remember the sheff wed game, but I was too young to appreciate it.

That video of the everton game is mine by the way. There is one of the last 2 mins too.

Edited by pukka