What a difference a month makes!

A month ago we went to Molineux set up for damage limitation. There was none of that tonight. Latics started on the front foot and barely took a backward step all night - in fact if they had not been so wasteful in front of goal it could have quite conceivably been a rout. Danny Philliskirk was played in early doors by the excellent Korey Smith, Ikeme stretched out and blocked well but given the time and space he had the Latics striker should have buried the chance. McDonald had Oxley at full stretch shortly after it looked as though the Latics keeper might be wrong-footed but he sprung across to make a very good stop. The corner came to nothing. Wolves string arm tactics were not going unpunished and a Clarke-Harris free-kick looked to have caused little problem for Ikeme, who somehow fumbled and saw Danny Philliskirk bundle home. There was some initial confusion as to whether the goal had been allowed, but thankfully the man in charge pointed to the centre circle. It was no more than Latics deserved.

Wolves main tactic was trying to get Griffiths on the shoulder of the last man (usually Kusunga) but he was dealing with the threat well and at one stage was smoking a toblerone his night's work was so pleasant and mostly trouble free. Another fumble from Ikeme should have seen better reactions but Wolves cleared. The second half continued in the same vein with numerous chances for Danny Philliskirk, two when clean through - both blocked. One smashed wide and another one from out wide that crashed against Ikeme's post. Clarke-Harris managed to scuff one of the rebounds wide. Montano was finally growing into the game at this point and crashed an effort wide, before skilful control and turn saw him hit across Ikeme but the Wolves goalkeeper was equal to the task. It was beginning to feel like our wastefulness would bite us on the arse but instead it was me that was bitten on the arse by the newly arrived Adam Rooney. Threats to have his name tattooed on my derrier should he score on entering the fray were suddenly to become rather awkward when from the angle he smashed one across Ikeme into the far corner. D'oh!

Wolves understandably upped their game from then on but still offered little threat. Mellor limping off and Lanzoni going to left-back didn't help our balance and Wolves did get some joy down our left in the last 15 minutes. With the last action of the game a cross from the left came in, Oxley hesitated and Griffiths was able to smash home. No matter the game was over. The players and staff were delighted at the end. Lee Johnson particularly so and if there was only 226 Latics fans there tonight then I've got an Adam Rooney tattoo.....

What is it about the FA Cup and Latics? So many great days last season and although the crowd was low key, that tonight should and hopefully will be the catalyst to go on a real run with the games coming thick and fast. Wolves were depleted yes, but we had players missing and out of position and let's face it, we had the toughest draw of the round. Made tougher by the fact we had to go into the Wolves lair to try and progress.

I'm sure the £18,000 prize money will come in handy as will the share of the 8,000 + aggregate crowd gate receipts.

Oxley - A couple of quality saves, never in trouble but hesitated on the goal 7

Smith - Outstanding at full back, found time and space and pressed us on all night 9 (MOM)

Kusunga - Was smoking a Toblerone for large periods of the game. He has looked iffy on occasion at centre back and I have preferred him at right back but he was excellent tonight 8

Tarkowski - One iffy moment where he got drawn to the ball and left Kusunga 1 on 2. That apart solid 7

Mellor - Had an excellent night, Wolves had little joy down his side until he limped off 7

Dayton - Busy night, found space and willing to run at Wolves all night 7

Rodgers - Accomplished performance, looked for the forward pass not afraid to get stuck in. Tired markedly after 70 minutes due to lack of full games 8

Wes - Combative performance, used the ball well and a few forward passes! 7

Monty - Disappointing, little came off. Constantly gave the ball away. Second Half looked better but ultimately limped off 5

Philliskirk - Excellent all evening, perhaps held onto the ball too long on several occasions and with better finishing could have claimed the match ball. 8

JCH - A hard working performance, didn't always come off for him but he tried, tried and tried again 7

Subs:

Schmeltz - Took advantage of wide open spaces and was a real threat on the break against an over worked back line 7

Adam - Cracking goal, and looked well up for it 7

Lanzoni - Not a left-back, dived in and Wolves capitalised a couple of times down his wrong side. But hasn't played for 6 weeks and it showed 5

So into the 2nd Round we go and a chance to shut that ugly pug chewing a lipstick of a Chairman's wife up who was particularly disrespectful of us when the draw was made during the Mansfield v Liverpool Tie at half-time....

Edited by oafcprozac

"smoking a toblerone"

Hmm, not sure this would work, either the sugar in it would burn at too high an intensity or the melted chocolate would ruin the rizlas. Smoking a cigar I could understand, eating the toblerone after smoking the good stuff, I'm there but cutting out the middle man and I'm not so sure.

that tonight should and hopefully will be the catalyst to go on a real run with the games coming thick and fast. Wolves were depleted yes, but we had players missing and out of position

Good report OP. Just wanted to highlight the above line. And add...that all depends if you think the players were out of position last night. Personally, I don't...I'm absolutely delighted we've finally seen this Wes-Smith mould broken. Yep, I'll be in the minority I expect, but I said last April that if we persisted with the two together then we'd be little different this season. We've been crying out for a Muzza, Duxbury, Carss type player. A forward thinker. Yep, Wes battles and wins the ball. Yep, Smith has a great first touch and neat lay offs. But that drive in the middle has been missing for a long, long time. Rodgers could be the answer to this and only giving him a go at it (for several games) will give us the answer one way or another. Last week he was excellent against Notts County and it sounds like he followed up with more of the same last night.

As for Smith, in his cameo performances at RB last season he was solid. On GMR last night, Dean Holden was raving about him and how he probably won't like the idea of not playing midfield but that RB suited him right down to the ground.

The final piece in the jigsaw is Kusunga. The lad is quality. And at CB with Tarky we'd have a real solid pairing. Grounds isn't a CB for me. It's yet another problem solved. The only issue then is LB but Grounds can go there, or Mills or Mellor.

I was over the moon when I saw the team sheet last night. It was bold...not just because it was more attacking than last time we faced them at theirs but breaking up the middle pairing was a brave choice to make. I just hope he sticks with the team from last night and goes forth. And watch our points multiply! :)

Edited by boundaryblue80

I agree and having seen the performance in the flesh that's the formation and starting XI I would start with at Gillingham - although I would probably bring in Schmeltz for the disappointing Monty.

What Johnson will probably do though is revert back to Mills at LB and Grounds at CB, meaning Kusunga again switched to RB and Wes and Korey are again in the middle. I don't agree with that - but that's what he will do imho.

The issue is we have Brown, Winchester, Kusunga and Lanzoni all for RB - Korey is his Captain and he'll want him in CM. So does he drop Wes? Harsh because he's been doing so well BUT I agree Rodgers has been a revelation, however can he manage two games a week given he was knackered after 70 minutes last night?

It's a helluva problem to have and it's great to have options for every position.....

I agree and having seen the performance in the flesh that's the formation and starting XI I would start with at Gillingham - although I would probably bring in Schmeltz for the disappointing Monty.

What Johnson will probably do though is revert back to Mills at LB and Grounds at CB, meaning Kusunga again switched to RB and Wes and Korey are again in the middle. I don't agree with that - but that's what he will do imho.

The issue is we have Brown, Winchester, Kusunga and Lanzoni all for RB - Korey is his Captain and he'll want him in CM. So does he drop Wes? Harsh because he's been doing so well BUT I agree Rodgers has been a revelation, however can he manage two games a week given he was knackered after 70 minutes last night?

It's a helluva problem to have and it's great to have options for every position.....

Great problems to have for the manager, it's up to him to make the right calls now.

He could try Mills on the left wing again in place of Montano, otherwise unchanged. Grounds will have to wait for his place.

Back 4 has to be Lanzoni - Kusunga - Tarkowski - Grounds. I cannot see any other better line-up. I'm very happy with that defence.

Rodgers isn't forward thinking like some suggest, he's a Busquets-esk crab, maybe even deeper lying than Furman. I think that the CM position alongside Smith is Mellor's in the long-term and I don't think Rodgers is any better than Mellor at the moment so I can't justify him being in the first XI.

Anyway, I think it's not about the personnel that plays there necessarily, it's the function that Johnson promotes. Dickov was fine to settle for 2 battlers who wouldn't create, Johnson needs to give 1 of the 2, Korey Smith, the license to roam forwards.

Back 4 has to be Lanzoni - Kusunga - Tarkowski - Grounds. I cannot see any other better line-up. I'm very happy with that defence.

Rodgers isn't forward thinking like some suggest, he's a Busquets-esk crab, maybe even deeper lying than Furman. I think that the CM position alongside Smith is Mellor's in the long-term and I don't think Rodgers is any better than Mellor at the moment so I can't justify him being in the first XI.

Anyway, I think it's not about the personnel that plays there necessarily, it's the function that Johnson promotes. Dickov was fine to settle for 2 battlers who wouldn't create, Johnson needs to give 1 of the 2, Korey Smith, the license to roam forwards.

That would be the tallest Latics back four since ........................?

Edited by BP1960