Playing On A Sunday

I knew somebody would come out with this

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/83641/latics-look-to-repeat-sunday-exercise

But I hoped it would just be a short memoried fan, rather than somebody who can have an actual say in the matter. Our crowd was up on sunday because it was a derby and because, as a team, we are on the up. Libpool was on a sunday to so by this chaps thinking the crowd actaully showed a massive dive of 3000.

Can anybody else remember any Sunday league games? I can and they were BORRRRRRR-ING.

I knew somebody would come out with this

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/83641/latics-look-to-repeat-sunday-exercise

But I hoped it would just be a short memoried fan, rather than somebody who can have an actual say in the matter. Our crowd was up on sunday because it was a derby and because, as a team, we are on the up. Libpool was on a sunday to so by this chaps thinking the crowd actaully showed a massive dive of 3000.

Can anybody else remember any Sunday league games? I can and they were BORRRRRRR-ING.

I can't dispute this, but who's to say they're the only reasons? Surely Sunday football's worth a try?

Celebration Sunday everyone got in for free, Liverpool we beat the 5 times European Champions and Bradford has a bit of an edge as it was a roses battle with both teams doing ok recently (ie theyve recently won promotion and been to Wembley twice, once in a League Cup Final, we're 7 unbeaten lol.

Imagine playing Colchester on a Sunday...dreadful.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes from the mouth of a club director who actually chooses to travel to away games on the team coach wearing player training gear! He's like a poor man's Vincent Tan!

Have a bit of dignity man, and buy yourself some chinos of something else comfortable!

Edited by danoafc

I wouldn't trust anything that comes from the mouth of a club director who actually chooses to travel to away games on the team coach wearing player training gear! He's like a poor man's Vincent Tan!

Have a bit of dignity man, and buy yourself some chinos of something else comfortable!

No sentiment for him stepping up to the plate and buying us when it all went tits up then?

Nah, :censored: it he wears club tracksuits!

Celebration Sunday everyone got in for free, Liverpool we beat the 5 times European Champions and Bradford has a bit of an edge as it was a roses battle with both teams doing ok recently (ie theyve recently won promotion and been to Wembley twice, once in a League Cup Final, we're 7 unbeaten lol.

Colchester at home any day of the week is usually dreadful haha!

Should we try Friday nights?

Always enjoyed Friday night games against Tranmere, pretty sure we played 2 or 3 of them a few years ago...

Macclesfield also do Friday night games through-out the season, and it proves to generally attract more people through the gates.

"Should we try Friday nights?"

No.

I see to remember playing Oxford on a friday - awful attendance. Same with Hartlepool a few years ago too. I'd rather have games on a sunday personally.

Edited by pukka

If we were to try Friday nights again then I think this should be reserved for local(ish) games. Derbies under the lights are always good fun, whilst this way the club avoids losing out on the away gate. (Edit: And as has been pointed out the exiles)

Similarly with Sundays, they should be reserved for games with a little something extra. Games against big boys such as Wolves for example, or any of the Yorkshire lot. The break in routine would add to the sense of occasion

Edited by LaticsChris

There's absolutely no way of knowing what difference it being on a Sunday made. They were always going to bring a fair few and we'd won 4 on the bounce for the first time since 1927. Had it have been on the Saturday, it'd have still been our highest gate of the season and there's a possibility even a few more would have gone.

Night games are generally more difficult for exiles and away supporters to get to.

Second that Pete. Very difficult for us to make evening games, whatever day of the week. Saturday's suit best, as it allows a once or twice a season stop over in Oldham without affecting work.

Night games are generally more difficult for exiles and away supporters to get to.

So are Sundays with the normal rail works.

The Bradford game seemed successful, but who knows, we may have had a bigger gate on a normal Saturday. There were travel problems for them on the railway and road closures.

I don't mind Sunday football, it gives the players a target to aim for, if they win they know exactly where they will be in the table.

We have done. We lost. It was :censored:.

Think Lua Lua scored.

Edited by ChrisA