David Mellor

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was crap but I'm glad it obviously wasn't anything too serious.

Agree.

The Mansfield goal he has to take a lot of blame for. Not only was he slow to come out, thereby playing the scorer on side, he made no attempt to mark him and was flat footed when the ball was crossed.

His touch was heavy, passing iffy and his set pieces poor. That's why Philly took over corner taking (fortunately that led to our third goal),

I saw him at Shrews when he was left back and remain wholly unconvinced that he's the answer to that position. I really want him to deliver but he just doesn't seem able to grasp his chances.

Starting at left back when Lanzoni is on the bench and Grounds is at centre back? Seems odd to me.

I thought Mellor's first half float ball in to the keeper's arms, repeated numerous times, was poor. Second half he looked better.

Philliskirk should take the corners down the left side.

Was very surprised to see him in the squad, let alone starting, maybe sums up the lack of numbers in certain positions.

He wasn't the only one at fault for the goal, Tarkowski might have got a bit closer initially and then Grounds and Kusunga were frozen on the spot with arms in the air rather than playing to the whistle.

I thought he grew into the game. Took care of the ball when it was passed to him.

Good move from Johnson to put him straight back into the team from last week. Should give him the confidence needed to kick on and for Saturday not to happen again.

Impressed with Johnson's man management so far.

Was very surprised to see him in the squad, let alone starting, maybe sums up the lack of numbers in certain positions.

He wasn't the only one at fault for the goal, Tarkowski might have got a bit closer initially and then Grounds and Kusunga were frozen on the spot with arms in the air rather than playing to the whistle.

wes did not track their player who crossed the ball on the overlap. !!! his fault,

he's simply not a full back.....never will be in my estimation. I genuinely can't understand why we started a left back at center half and a center half at right back whilst having a right back who would have pushed them all along to their correct positions sat on the bench (two in fact with brown!)

It seems to me that LJ wants to play grounds at CB but also wants to play Kusunga and Tarky. The system we're currently using doesn't work if thats the case because kusunga isn't a full back for me nor is mellor. With Philliskirk on the left and getting forward as much as possible along with Petrasso not being particularly good defensively, we get left very open down the flanks. To me, we either change the system to accomodate 3 center halfs or accept that Grounds has to play full back when all 3 are fit

Best and most solid back 4 for me ...

Grounds -- Tarky -- Kusunga -- Lanzoni

he's simply not a full back.....never will be in my estimation. I genuinely can't understand why we started a left back at center half and a center half at right back whilst having a right back who would have pushed them all along to their correct positions sat on the bench (two in fact with brown!)

It seems to me that LJ wants to play grounds at CB but also wants to play Kusunga and Tarky. The system we're currently using doesn't work if thats the case because kusunga isn't a full back for me nor is mellor. With Philliskirk on the left and getting forward as much as possible along with Petrasso not being particularly good defensively, we get left very open down the flanks. To me, we either change the system to accomodate 3 center halfs or accept that Grounds has to play full back when all 3 are fit

I agree that those are our best 4 but I'm not sure that either Lanzoni or Grounds are genuine full backs. I prefer to see a full back overlapping and getting down the line - it's not part of Grounds or Lanzoni's natural game and neither are blessed with the pace a full back needs.

If JCH could head a ball at goal, the first 2-3 Mellor crosses would have resulted in decent chances. Plum on his head in the first half, sure he ducked under one. Thought he kept the ball well, and other than the mistake from the goal, which a numbe rof players were at fault for in the build up, he was steady enough.

If JCH could head a ball at goal, the first 2-3 Mellor crosses would have resulted in decent chances. Plum on his head in the first half, sure he ducked under one. Thought he kept the ball well, and other than the mistake from the goal, which a numbe rof players were at fault for in the build up, he was steady enough.

Exactly.

He did fine.

6.5 out of 10

I agree. This is a good defence.

The biggest problem with Mellor is that he's crap.

If JCH could head a ball at goal, the first 2-3 Mellor crosses would have resulted in decent chances. Plum on his head in the first half, sure he ducked under one. Thought he kept the ball well...

Mellor played a major part in JCH's goal. It was an 18 second 7 pass move starting with Oxley who passed the ball to Grounds who passes it to Philliskirk who passes it to Mellor who played it long to Rooney who laid it off to Smith who passed it to Petrassp who beat 2 men and passed it to JCH.

Check out Gordon's LP commentary of the goals, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a 2 1/2 min mp3 of all the goals.