Major Signing Targeted

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was in dispute with Middlesbrough over the contract system, which he said chained players to their clubs. He wanted to leave, so Boro put a record £25,000 price tag on him. Mannion declared he would not play for any club offering more than £12,000, saying:

"If this transfer business is not stopped, then I feel football will drift into a commercial affair that will put the game into sore straits".

He wasn't wrong!

Thanks. You learn something new every day. A precursor to the modern Bosman rule. The Mannion rule!

Bradford want him.

Could be interesting.

Just basing it of the very first meet the manager meeting; where he gave McClean as his ideal striker for the side as it was.

Jelevic and Long will have only relegated him way further down the pecking order at Hull.

That said, he's still probably better than League One level, even at 31, and I'd be surprised if Championship clubs weren't in for him? Even if they're nto, I would also imagine that clubs from our division will also be interested. One's with more clout to offer better wages than us. And after selling Wells, unfortunately, that would indeed include Bradford.

Let's see eh?

Let's see eh?

If he ends up at this level it will be an interesting test of LJ's pulling power (assuming he's the target).

Johnson, IIRC, actually said he'd asked McLean to join us in March but was knocked back.

So given the Hull signings, I think McLean is on the move and is our "major" target. Would feed well off Harkins.

Well it's not Seedorf , he's gone and retired to manage AC Milan......

I just hope that he is 'major' enough for most of us to have heard of .......

I don't think that matters at all. I don't think any of us had heard of Kusunga or Lanzoni and very few of Dayton - they were all great signings.

Don't think they're referring to Goodwillie as that's been revealed already in the nationwide press so why would LJ disclose his identity?

McLean would be a coup with his pedigree as a proven goalscorer in this league for a good few years with promoted teams. I'm a little sceptical though as I think this deal was said to be long-term if I read correctly and with McLean at 31 I'm unsure as to whether that would lend itself to a long deal. Also, his wages at Hull are likely to be obscene, and despite Rooney and Byrne probably being off the wage bill I doubt we'd be prepared to pay him that much.

Gregory or a non-league striker seems most realistic to me. As long as the guy can score goals from the multitude of chances we create, frankly I don't care who they are.