Major Signing Targeted

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think they're referring to Goodwillie as that's been revealed already in the nationwide press so why would LJ disclose his identity?

McLean would be a coup with his pedigree as a proven goalscorer in this league for a good few years with promoted teams. I'm a little sceptical though as I think this deal was said to be long-term if I read correctly and with McLean at 31 I'm unsure as to whether that would lend itself to a long deal

He said 18 months to two years didn't he? McLean has at least that left in him, surely.

If this signing isn't a quality striker then I think that LJ was wrong to start the hype. The team is being built to launch a successful promotion challenge next year but at the moment the lack of scoring power will get us relegated. Since the late autumn, my only hope for a striker to score a dozen or more league goals this season is JHC but his inexperience, allied to ineptitude by fellow strikers, makes this unlikely now. Otherwise we can only pray for the odd goal from midfield/defence. All we can hope for from Mac is that he gets a goal or two before his next injury. Rooney is a complete waste of money. Philly has a great future with us but not perhaps as a 20-goals a -season man. Many of our goals in the cup competitions this season have come against poor or deliberately-weakened teams.

This isn't LJ's fault, or a consequence of inexperience. I think it is bad luck. Rooney's level is the lower Scottish Premier. Mac is a spent force; he is good influence on the younger players even when injured around, but I would at the moment prefer a rude, selfish chavvy player who stays fit and scores goals. As above we can't expect too much from JCL and Philly (who was an a long-term opportunist buy after the season commenced, and LJ clearly didn't expect that Philly would have to bear the high expectations caused by failures elsewhere).

We create lots of easy chances for the strikers but they bag a very small percentage. I can't see that changing. Furthermore, the strikers rarely score from a piece of brilliance, or even from clever goal-hanging or as a result of a brave or forward-thinking decision. It's ironic that Rooney's wonder-goal against us last season played a large part in persuading LJ to buy him. I'm not even concerned that the new striker is one who will have a significant role to play over the next two years. He must simply be able to score ten goals and create others, to keep us up this season.

If this signing isn't a quality striker then I think that LJ was wrong to start the hype. The team is being built to launch a successful promotion challenge next year but at the moment the lack of scoring power will get us relegated. Since the late autumn, my only hope for a striker to score a dozen or more league goals this season is JHC but his inexperience, allied to ineptitude by fellow strikers, makes this unlikely now. Otherwise we can only pray for the odd goal from midfield/defence. All we can hope for from Mac is that he gets a goal or two before his next injury. Rooney is a complete waste of money. Philly has a great future with us but not perhaps as a 20-goals a -season man. Many of our goals in the cup competitions this season have come against poor or deliberately-weakened teams.

This isn't LJ's fault, or a consequence of inexperience. I think it is bad luck. Rooney's level is the lower Scottish Premier. Mac is a spent force; he is good influence on the younger players even when injured around, but I would at the moment prefer a rude, selfish chavvy player who stays fit and scores goals. As above we can't expect too much from JCL and Philly (who was an a long-term opportunist buy after the season commenced, and LJ clearly didn't expect that Philly would have to bear the high expectations caused by failures elsewhere).

We create lots of easy chances for the strikers but they bag a very small percentage. I can't see that changing. Furthermore, the strikers rarely score from a piece of brilliance, or even from clever goal-hanging or as a result of a brave or forward-thinking decision. It's ironic that Rooney's wonder-goal against us last season played a large part in persuading LJ to buy him. I'm not even concerned that the new striker is one who will have a significant role to play over the next two years. He must simply be able to score ten goals and create others, to keep us up this season.

Strikers who bag lots of goals get snapped-up by clubs that have the cash to pay them..unless they have been with a club for a good period of time and their goal-tally has improved each season..then they move on to a club that has the cash..etc.