FAO Barry Owen

Would we as fans be better off with a fans liaison officer who was more interactive with the fans and didn't sit on the board and was more detached from those running the club?

We have a separate supporter's liaison officer, who is also the commercial manager Jenny. The problem is on a major occasion when supporters needed them because they had been locked out at Bury, it is unclear what they did to help. Despite Barry being asked on here what he (and Jenny) did he didn't reply. Make of that what you will.

Edited by rudemedic

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will never know, some1 on Matt Chambers Twitter account says Millwall at £425K!

He signed for this season with an option for a further season if memory serves me right, does that mean he could leave in May?

If that were the case there's no way we would have turned down an offer like that!

Think Harry puts it very well....read the original post.

The club have been telling us all that they are willing to discuss many things and that they are building for the future yet I still feel that a number of things that have happened that go against that, also I feel personally it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask what percentage we got out of a (now completed) stephens deal

not sure what you mean regarding your last post as I have re-iterated time and time again that this is nothing against the new signings or Barry so would love to know where you get this 'Barry Bashing' from?

However I am becoming increasingly disappointed that the 'voice of the fans' at the club has so far refused to answer my original post due to the Minority and also failed to come back regarding his original offer of arranging a meeting.

Here's living in hope!

Think Harry puts it very well....read the original post.

The club have been telling us all that they are willing to discuss many things and that they are building for the future yet I still feel that a number of things that have happened that go against that, also I feel personally it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask what percentage we got out of a (now completed) stephens deal

not sure what you mean regarding your last post as I have re-iterated time and time again that this is nothing against the new signings or Barry so would love to know where you get this 'Barry Bashing' from?

However I am becoming increasingly disappointed that the 'voice of the fans' at the club has so far refused to answer my original post due to the Minority and also failed to come back regarding his original offer of arranging a meeting.

Here's living in hope!

This is the key for me, Barry, the so-called voice of the fans seemingly only interacts with most of the fans when they are complaining about what is going on, and when he does so he portrays more Barry the member of the board as opposed to Barry the chairman of the supporter's trust.

Then again maybe he is a busy man, practicing his handwriting.

Let's be honest - are Aresnal, City, United, Liverpool or any other club as open with their fans as latics are? It makes me laugh how we seem to think we have this god given right to know the inner workings or transfer dealings of what in essence is a business accountable to it's share holders nothing more - be thankfull they actually speak to us - bet Leeds, Portsmouth fans wish they had her same

Let's be honest - are Aresnal, City, United, Liverpool or any other club as open with their fans as latics are? It makes me laugh how we seem to think we have this god given right to know the inner workings or transfer dealings of what in essence is a business accountable to it's share holders nothing more - be thankfull they actually speak to us - bet Leeds, Portsmouth fans wish they had her same

The trust has a 3% share of the club, which they used our money to purchase. So the club is accountable to us then isn't it?

It makes me laugh how we seem to think we have this god given right to know the inner workings, [bet] Portsmouth fans wish they had her same

I'm sure you're talking about the old Pompey however for the sake of the post, you'll find that the Pompey fans are the owners.

The trust has a 3% share of the club, which they used our money to purchase. So the club is accountable to us then isn't it?

Devil's Advocate time:

I didn't put any money in. I'm not a Trust member. I am a fan of Oldham Athletic.

Are the club accountable to me?

Devil's Advocate time:

I didn't put any money in. I'm not a Trust member. I am a fan of Oldham Athletic.

Are the club accountable to me?

My view - No

The club is accountable to the Trust, who is accountable to its members, although the Trust seeks to represent the wider fanbase.

I donated money earlier on, but I'm not a member of the Trust so i'm basically in the same position as you.

This is not to say that there isn't a mechanism in place for you or I to hold the club accountable, we just choose not to (apart from the medium of OWTB of course).

Which brings forth another question? Is it the club's responsibilty to be accountable to the fans, or is it the fans responsibility to hold the club accountable?

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Here are a couple of quotes from time that Bazza was appointed to the club's Board of Directors:

Peter Heginbotham (Trust Oldham chairman): “By holding shares and taking our place in the boardroom, we can make sure the gulf between the club and its supporters never opens again.”

Simon Corney: "I don’t think you can run a football club without the help of its fans. It makes sense for them to have a place on the board, and we will always take their thoughts and comments very seriously."

Talk about Arsenal, Leeds, et al. all you like but have their fans paid a significant sum of money to have a minority share in the club and a seat in the boardroom? Have their respective Chairmen accepted the payment and talked about 'the fans' (rather than one individual) having a say in the boardroom?

And who, honestly, feels that Barry fulfills the role set out above?

Here are a couple of quotes from time that Bazza was appointed to the club's Board of Directors:

Peter Heginbotham (Trust Oldham chairman): “By holding shares and taking our place in the boardroom, we can make sure the gulf between the club and its supporters never opens again.”

Simon Corney: "I don’t think you can run a football club without the help of its fans. It makes sense for them to have a place on the board, and we will always take their thoughts and comments very seriously."

Talk about Arsenal, Leeds, et al. all you like but have their fans paid a significant sum of money to have a minority share in the club and a seat in the boardroom? Have their respective Chairmen accepted the payment and talked about 'the fans' (rather than one individual) having a say in the boardroom?

And who, honestly, feels that Barry fulfills the role set out above?

Didnt he sack Ronnie Moore because 'the fans' had their say. Theres more than one way to be heard, especially when the easiest and obvious way appears to be shut!

I think some are missing my point here......

Its THE CLUB that are constantly telling us they want the fans to be involved and to be more TRANSPARENT, its been said at Meet the Manager events and SC himself has always said that if people want to know something come and ask.

If THE CLUB dont want people to know then just say so then its case closed simple as that.

This situation has come about because Barry OFFERED to arrange something following my original post, if he had said its none of our business then fair enough take it on the chin but at least we know where we stand....am I right?

I don't know Barry and to be perfectly honest had no opinion either positive or negative however as I have said previously the lack of COMMUNICATION coming from the fans voice on the Board and simple unwillingness to communicate (when it seems to suit) because of a minority (his words) is helping me form one.....

I am very flexible and open to change my mind but it aint looking good.......I'm sure he will lose sleep over that :laught30: