Your last Premiership match

Watching Norwich v Spurs on tv yesterday it struck me that the last top flight game I'd attended was Latics at Norwich back in 1994, our last match in the division.

In fact I haven't seen a Championship match since we got relegated from that either. League 2, non league and even internationals but not the top two divisions.

Not really sure why but probably a mix of cost, and lots of it on tv.

i was there also sean mccarthys goal not enough to keep us up in a 1-1, had a tear in my eye when the players came over to applaud our support at the final whistle, have been to a few spurs games over the yearss as i was married to a spurs fan, doesnt compare to BP though. :)

It would've been Leeds v Everton in about 96. Been offered tickets for City which I've politely declined (though I'd have snapped someone's hand off for Barca tickets - for obvious reasons). If it wasn't for Oldham, I doubt I'd bother with another league match again.

Edited by longtimeblue

Bolton vs Burnley, (1-0 to Bolton) Coyle had just gone to Bolton from Burnley, my mate is a Burnley season ticket holder. An absolute stinker of a game.

Went to City 1 Arsenal 3 a few years before that. Thierry Henry gave the best individual performance I have ever seen. Set up all 3 goals. Absolutely incredible that night. Got a massive ovation when he went off from a lot of city fans.

I was at Norwich in 1994 too. On the coach on the way back, I remember looking at the teams we would play the following season and feeling a bit despondent at having to go to Grimsby.

There was a brief moment during that day where we thought we might pull off another great escape.... We needed both Everton and Ipswich to lose, with a goal difference swing on Ipswich of 4 goals.

At half time, we were 1-0 up, Everton were losing a home to Wimbledon 2-1 and B@stard Rovers were drawing 0-0 at home to Ipswich. A couple of goals from Blackburn and one more for us and we were there again.

In the event, Neil Adams [typical Latics] crossed to the far post for Rob Ullathorne to equalise for Norwich and what happened elsewhere was immaterial, although the Everton v Wimbledon match which ended 3-2 to the scousers was later placed under question as a betting scam with Wimbledon players being accused of throwing the game for financial gain.

I looked at Ian Marshall's Ipswich survive and our opening day loss to them [and his goal - typical Latics] as pivotal. Had we won that game, they'd have gone down, we'd have stayed up. However, our form since Mark Hughes' equaliser at Wembley was 8 games, 0 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats, In the 8 games prior to the S/F, it was 4 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. I still can't bring myself to look at Mark Hughes and not feel annoyed to this very day.

Edited by lookersstandandy

I won tickets for hospitality at City v Wigan a couple of years ago through Etihad Airlines. It was a poor game and City won 1.0. However, the food and wine were fantastic and the seats outside the hospitality box were heated. Latics were away at Bournemouth that day and we got stuffed 3.0 I think.

I was at Norwich in 1994 too. On the coach on the way back, I remember looking at the teams we would play the following season and feeling a bit despondent at having to go to Grimsby.

There was a brief moment during that day where we thought we might pull off another great escape.... We needed both Everton and Ipswich to lose, with a goal difference swing on Ipswich of 4 goals.

At half time, we were 1-0 up, Everton were losing a home to Wimbledon 2-1 and B@stard Rovers were drawing 0-0 at home to Ipswich. A couple of goals from Blackburn and one more for us and we were there again.

In the event, Neil Adams [typical Latics] crossed to the far post for Rob Ullathorne to equalise for Norwich and what happened elsewhere was immaterial, although the Everton v Wimbledon match which ended 3-2 to the scousers was later placed under question as a betting scam with Wimbledon players being accused of throwing the game for financial gain.

I looked at Ian Marshall's Ipswich survive and our opening day loss to them [and his goal - typical Latics] as pivotal. Had we won that game, they'd have gone down, we'd have stayed up. However, our form since Mark Hughes' equaliser at Wembley was 8 games, 0 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats, In the 8 games prior to the S/F, it was 4 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. I still can't bring myself to look at Mark Hughes and not feel annoyed to this very day.

All correct, however (as we had scored more goals than Ipswich) only a 3 goal turnaround was needed on Ipswich, so a 2 goal win for us/loss for them or a 1 goal win for us/2 goal loss for them was needed.

However, once Hans Segers at Goodison started playing like Coco the Clown - the game was up.

My last Premier game was therefore the Spurs match at home 48 hours earlier, a dreadful performance by us at the wrong time and against the wrong opponents. In the final shake up 3 points there might have kept us up and sent Spurs down.

Didnt help we had to play 4 times in the last week of the season also.

I was actually at the Blackburn v Ipswich game that day sat with the Ipswich fans, when I heard we went 1-0 up I thought I was going to get a right towelling, TBF they were a pretty amiable bunch though.

I was at that Norwich game too! - my last premier league game was a Blackburn v Aston Villa game at ewood - friend of a friend gave me a ticket -can't remember the score or tbh much about the game except the villa fans (who i was sitting amongst) singing a song to the tune of 'new york new york' about dwight yorke!

http://www.11v11.com/matches/blackburn-rovers-v-aston-villa-09-september-1995-22212/

Edited by rvlatic

All correct, however (as we had scored more goals than Ipswich) only a 3 goal turnaround was needed on Ipswich....

I stand corrected, you're spot on..... we only required 3.

I shouldn't have done this really, as it's only dragging up painful memories..... however, I've just opened up the history books;

Joe Royle had been named as February manager of the month following 4 wins [2 in the FA Cup] and 1 draw in Feb. March wasn't too shabby either, with 3 wins [1 in the FA Cup], 1 draw, 1 defeat. We were on a roll. Confidence building on the back of the FA Cup run.

On Saturday the 2nd of April 1994 - remarkably, soon to be 20 years ago - the bottom of the Premier League looked like this, 2 games in hand on a lot of teams around us;

Ps / Team / Pld / W / D / L / For / Aga / GD / Pts

12 / Chelsea / 34 / 11 / 8 / 15 / 39 / 44 / -4 / 41

13 / Coventry / 35 / 10 / 11 / 14 / 35 / 42 / -7 / 41

14 / West Ham / 34 / 10 / 11 / 13 / 34 / 48 / -14 / 41

15 / Ipswich / 36 / 9 / 14 / 13 / 33 / 47 / -14 / 41

16 / Tottenham / 35 / 9 / 12 / 14 / 46 / 48 / -2 / 39

17 / Everton / 36 / 10 / 7 / 19 / 37 / 53 / -16 / 37

18 / LATICS / 34 / 9 / 10 / 15 / 35 / 53 / -18 / 37

19 / Man City / 36 / 7 / 5 / 14 / 31 / 42 / -11 / 36

------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 / Sheff Utd / 36 / 6 / 16 / 14 / 34 / 53 / -19 / 34

21 / Southampton / 36 / 9 / 6 / 20 / 34 / 51 / -17 / 33

22 / Swindon / 36 / 4 / 14 / 18 / 41 / 86 / -45 / 26

We then travelled to Old Trafford on Easter Monday [4th April] and were unluckly to lose 3-2, with a wonder goal from Sean McCarthy too. 5 days later we faced them at Wembley..... had we won that game, got to the FA Cup final, where we would've faced Chelsea - a team we'd beaten home and away that season - we simply wouldn't have gone down from the position above. In the end we didn't win another game, picked up only 3 draws and whimpered out of the league on 40 points.