Johnson The Tinker Man

The problem was (and I'm sorry to repeat it) the two central midfielders hardly crossed the halfway line in the first half and the full backs didn't get forward, its no wonder goals are scarce.

That's been a problem for a while now.

It's very noticable that when teams come to BP they have 5 or 6 players in our half when the attack.

We are relying on breaks and when we attack sometimes we have nobody in the box.

Look at McD tonight , broke down the right and put over a great ball across the 6 yard box , not one Latics players within 10 yards of the penalty area.

Would have been a tap in for anybody up with him. Happening to often at home and we play deeper and deeper each game .

What's changed since the start of the season , are the players tired !!!

If so why ? is it a fear factor of losing like Dickov instilled ??

Other teams don't appear to have that problem .

Also since the start of the year the whole spine of the team has changed -

2 different centrebacks,

different midfield and different pairings up front.

Some of this has been forced by transfers / injuries etc but how can LJ build a team when its constantly changing.

The first half we played like a team that has just meet . and that is 12 months since LJ took charge .

Will we be the same in another 12 months !!

I would have thought 12 months into his reign he would have at least some idea of a settled side but we don't.

Worrying times !!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, Johnson thought i'll drop Winchester for a crap Canadian with no league 1 experience who was released from a poor league in October, or maybe in training this guy looked the better option.

this his how bad things have got when we are begging for winchester to be first team,after how many decent games he has played in 3 years???

well too be honest the other players haven't done it all season have they , Winchester is not ready for a permanent place in the side yet. pretty obvious that Korey Smith was carrying that injury for a while . We have to be patient for just a little bit longer . Its coming

I am not in the uk to watch all this but what concerns me is the apparent change in approach. I thought LJ had a philosophy of pace and attacking down the wings and quick passing. Do we do any of this anymore?

I am also concerned that players like Mellor haven't kicked on considering the important role they played under LJ to keep us up last season.

Finally the amount of players we have used is alarming if true isn't it over 30? Surely we could have put some more wages into less but better players.

My only worry about LJ in thee long term is not his tinkering but why he tinkers in the first place.

We seem to always set up depending on who we play when really we should find a system and try to stick to it. Concentrate on us an what we ate going to do not what the oppo is likely to do. Again maybe that was happening more at the start.

He needs to find his best team and stick with it - for more than ONE game.

All season long its been change change change! - no wonder we don't score and our strikers are out of form/low on confidence - they don't get a decent run - we will never see a strike force develop an 'understanding' if he's constantly changing it!

this his how bad things have got when we are begging for winchester to be first team,after how many decent games he has played in 3 years???

More than Mellor & Millar combined.

Some great goals aswell.

He needs a run in the team. A few full 90 minutes under his belt and he might well be able to last a full 90 minutes.

I am not in the uk to watch all this but what concerns me is the apparent change in approach. I thought LJ had a philosophy of pace and attacking down the wings and quick passing. Do we do any of this anymore?

He's not been helped by the Montano and Schmeltz situations to be fair.

Rusnak too.

Mills not coming back also.

Tarkowski not bringing it out from the back either.

Yet again though, we wouldn't even be commenting on it if we didn't live in these times where the manager must tell us everything about everything 3 times a week.

Circumstances have dictated he's had to change our approach.

At least he's shown he can adapt the team to that, albeit with mixed results.

Dickov couldn't

Edited by HarryBosch

We're performing to the standard that I expected at the beginning of the season - it might not be the free-scoring football that some expected, but, in terms of results and league position, if you expected to be higher than where we currently are then you were kidding yourself.

For what it is worth my impression from last nights game is that LJ is falling into the same trap as Dickov. He is more concerned about losing than he is about winning. Dunfield is clearly a more defensive player, or was playing under those instructions, than Winchester.

I say this because time and again we get the ball out wide and then stop. The goals Rooney has scored since he left us demonstrates that he was not the only one at fault during his stay here - given the right service he scores. Players that are looking over their shoulders make more mistakes than those that get up and at them.

rooney has players around him at aberdeen who can cross a ball thus utilising his strengths, he didnt fit into LJ 'vision' but knows where the goal is when given the chance, expecting him to run the channels is a waste of time and to a degree we are asking stead to do exactly the same thing width is whats needed, fullbacks comfortable in possession is needed but as we are unlikely to get them things are unlikely to improve and finishing 18th in lge1 is now deemed acceptable for some.

Does seem that BP has become a strikers' graveyard. It can't be coincidental. Strikers thrive on the right delivery and support. If you don't get enough players forward the defence hasn't got much to think about.

Personally, I think fans would be more satisfied watching their team giving it a go and losing 4-3 a couple of times then winning a game 4-3 than sterile tight games losing 1-0 with the odd 1-0 win. You'd also get less booing and more crowd and players in it together. (like the Royle years)

gotta laugh reading the Chron excuses excuses, injuries led to the changes, can I ask one question why are the two dropped players on the bench ? the other is why do we have a manager intent on destroying players confidence we saw it with scmeltz, rooney, mellor, genseric, JCH and now its winchesters turn in the spotlight all with there faults and a manager who seems to have none.

Does seem that BP has become a strikers' graveyard. It can't be coincidental. Strikers thrive on the right delivery and support. If you don't get enough players forward the defence hasn't got much to think about.

Personally, I think fans would be more satisfied watching their team giving it a go and losing 4-3 a couple of times then winning a game 4-3 than sterile tight games losing 1-0 with the odd 1-0 win. You'd also get less booing and more crowd and players in it together. (like the Royle years)

Rooney's the latest in a long line of strikers who's immediately gone and done well somewhere else.

Stead will be the next.

Edited by HarryBosch

gotta laugh reading the Chron excuses excuses, injuries led to the changes, can I ask one question why are the two dropped players on the bench ? the other is why do we have a manager intent on destroying players confidence we saw it with scmeltz, rooney, mellor, genseric, JCH and now its winchesters turn in the spotlight all with there faults and a manager who seems to have none.

What injuries are you talking about? It was a fitness thing with both of them struggling to do full matches Saturday/Tuesday apparently. Hence on the bench.

"Intent on destroying players confidence" - yep, course he is. Because if you want to make it as a football manager that's the intention to have. What do you know about how he handles the players behind the scenes? Not much I'm guessing.

On one hand we have people saying a bit of booing from the fans shouldn't affect the players and they should man up, on the other hand people saying that whatever one liner the manager uses in an interview is going to have them in pieces.

Bit of perspective needed all round.

What injuries are you talking about? It was a fitness thing with both of them struggling to do full matches Saturday/Tuesday apparently. Hence on the bench.

"Intent on destroying players confidence" - yep, course he is. Because if you want to make it as a football manager that's the intention to have. What do you know about how he handles the players behind the scenes? Not much I'm guessing.

On one hand we have people saying a bit of booing from the fans shouldn't affect the players and they should man up, on the other hand people saying that whatever one liner the manager uses in an interview is going to have them in pieces.

Bit of perspective needed all round.

Worrall's inability to play Sat/Tues is injury related, Winchester isn't injury related, but his lack of fitness could possibly be related back to the fact that he doesn't seem to get a run of games, so it becomes a vicious circle.

Worrall's inability to play Sat/Tues is injury related, Winchester isn't injury related, but his lack of fitness could possibly be related back to the fact that he doesn't seem to get a run of games, so it becomes a vicious circle.

But for both there is an explanation as to why they didn't start but were on the bench which was the point I was making.

The reasons behind that are another thing entirely. Although I'd expect the management to have looked into it properly and that the answer to Winchester's problem is more complex than to simply start him more often! Pretty basic if it is!

Listen to Johnson's presser today on LP. Winchester himself said he wasn't fit enough to play and Worrall's

absence was due to his groin problems.

Just because players are not quite 100% doesn't mean they can't be on the bench to come on if needed.

Johnson comes across as a very honest bloke and if you listen to the interview I think you might change your

opinion of him.

Edited by oafc1955