How we needed that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else notice their number 4 playing without shin pads in the first half?

I thought that was a bookable offence ...

I saw that, really obvious with his socks rolled down. But that prick of a ref could miss anything. I thought Brown's booking was a joke, Harkins gets cynically brought down as he was passed his man and heading into the box, no booking!

JCH given offside when he didn't go near the ball, and where did 5 minutes of stoppage time come from when there were only 3 substitutions and not one stoppage for a physio to come on.

Grade A cock.

Much better today Korey Smith back to his normal self he kept us ticking all game and running FORWARD, JCH was brilliant, won every header ! You have to remember he's only 19 and that's 2 games now where he's led the line well on his own, Harkins class AGAIN and our defence looked solid, glad we actually got the ball down and played today no hoofing up field, impressed with Crawley to decent passing side, both teams tried to play football in tough conditions. Massive 3pts and gives us a bit of breathing space now going into two tough games

We had bodies in the box. A refreshing change.

Very pleased, we seriously needed it

Correct. The goal came from a rare moment of Smith getting forward. We had bodies in the box. Until Dayton came on, I can't remember anyone actually putting in a cross!

We so need to drive forward when we get the ball on the half way line. You run at League one players and most of them :censored: themselves....

As I pointed out in the ref thread, this ref was the one that needed the linesman to see Sodje punching Baxter in the balls twice. He was possibly the worse ref I've seen here for many a year. Where he got 4 minutes from I'm not sure, nevermind 5.

FWIW the Chaddy reads OAAFC, Oldham Athletic Association Football Club, it seemed the noise was coming from the Athletic 'A' bit.

Out of 13 players (I'm not counting Gafiati) there were 12 very good, at least, performances, the back 4 all had crackers as did JCH and I thought Worrall did well first half, but the sub was required as whilst he was still running, his decision making was showing signs of mental fatigue.

McDonald and Harkins both showed their experience and nouse at the end too, we were holding on but they kept it in that corner for the last 3 minutes.

I initially thought it was a bog standard 4-5-1 but i became clear that Smith was almost sweeping in front of the back for and Philliskirk was definately in CM and not in the hole.

I didnt agree with it. At all.

But, once we settled into the after the first 5-10mins, we actually looked the brightest we've looked in weeks and weeks.

Philliskirk and in particular Wes were breaking forward nicely, and we got bodies forward. It wasnt exactly breaking away "at pace" - especially when Harkins got on the ball, but we were breaking with intent.

Needed to et that 2nd when we were on top though.

2nd half, we sat back far too much. As a unit, we needed to be 10yards further up. But, neither the players nor the bench were doing anything to make that happen. It must have been the discussed tactics.

We let them have so much of the ball, we gave them 3/4s of the pitch to play with. I always felt a goal was coming; we were never comfortable.

But - that said, Keeper and back 4 defended superbly and Wes and Smith didnt half put shifts in. I thought JCH was a well deserved MoM - occupied their back 4; provided a target, held it up well, won lots of contested headers and was a threat all game.

1st half promising, 2nd was laboured and invited undue pressure on oursleves with poor tactics.

BUT - thank frig we held on. That really is a vital 3 points and i'm chuffed to bits with it.

Soaked - only just about drying out now, but soaked and happy!

Oh. And final thing.

Liked Crawley as a side.

Played some lovely pass & move football at times, and i thought they had some very decent players out there - Drury, Clarke and Proctor in particular.

Nice, pleasant passing side to watch. Thank goodness failed to show a cutting edge; and a threat final 1/3; they'd have won that game if they had done.

He ran his nads off and had to lead the line on his own in the second half - worthy of MOTM, I reckon..

Yep, echo that.

That formation and style wouldnt have worked with a big game from the lone striker.

JCH was immense today IMO; and - for a change - the worthy sponsors MoM.

Funny how people see it. Worked hard, no doubts there, but I was really shocked when he got it.

Lockwood

Wilson

Wes

Smith

Grounds

Would have all been before him for me.

Dont think anyone had a bad game, Im not knocking JCH, its more a case that I think, others deserved it more than - he wasn't good. Lockwood for me.

Edited by pukka

I didn't think Wes and Smith were all that - won the ball well, but gave it away too many times.

Lockwood was fantastic, though. Looking like just the player we need for this division.

Thought Worrall did OK too..

Oh. And final thing.

Liked Crawley as a side.

Played some lovely pass & move football at times, and i thought they had some very decent players out there - Drury, Clarke and Proctor in particular.

Nice, pleasant passing side to watch. Thank goodness failed to show a cutting edge; and a threat final 1/3; they'd have won that game if they had done.

Would agree with a lot of this, they actually paid the price for being overly aggressive 1st half, playing what looked like a 3-4-3, the problem was their front 3 were their smallest players and every time their defence cleared it, the ball came straight back. When they brought Proctor on 2nd half they improved a lot.

However, if we had shown a good cutting edge we'd have had about 5 or 6 today and been out of sight.

Philly did a lot of running and took his goal well but other than that not much else.

I agree.

He always wants to take a turn with the ball when running forward would be easier and more effective. And he's not alone in that.

That was his 12th goal of the season though. There's every chance he'll match Baxter's tally.

It'll be interesting to see what he can produce next year with this seasons experience and a full pre season under his belt.

Not sure how JCH got MOTM. Surely it was one if the centre halves, wes or smith?

Probably right, it's a hard job up front on your own and he never stopped harassing their defenders.

Lockwood was again dominant and is now looking a shrewd signing, you have to remember he's been up against some in form goal scorers recently and along with Wilson has put in some sterling work.

All the players gave 100%, which is exactly what was was required.

Special mention to Rachubka, who got his angles right producing some good saves when needed.

Edited by BP1960

I agree.

He always wants to take a turn with the ball when running forward would be easier and more effective. And he's not alone in that.

That was his 12th goal of the season though. There's every chance he'll match Baxter's tally.

It'll be interesting to see what he can produce next year with this seasons experience and a full pre season under his belt.

Good point.

Its easy to forget that this is his first full season.

He'll undoubtablely be all the better for it moving forwards.

I thought JCH worked ever so hard but his retention of the ball was pretty naive and poor. From 50 minutes when crawled started to get on top we really, desperately needed the ball to stick up front but it was coming back at us as fast as we were getting it away. Perhaps it was the heavy pitch but there were several occasions where we just needed him to bring it down and release it to a winger.

Charlie Mac's appearance saw us home I felt. Experience, guile and a real pest to their defense who were cruising for much of the half.

I'd have given the MOM to Lockwood. He was tremendous today, won his headers and snuffed out any danger threats quickly. Harkins just does what he does. Entertains, threatens, torments. He's a the type of player you buy a season ticket for. Danny P took his goal brilliantly but faded fast in the second half and should have been taken off 10 mins earlier.

Worthy winners in the end, and we needed those points so much. A loss would have put us right in the mire. We have vital breathing space and a couple more wins will see us virtually home and hosed.

Thought Wes & Smith bossed the game especially Wes. JCH had a very good game although never looked like scoring he took pressure off in 1st half & allowed the defence to get up

Was a good preformance & did enough but should have been more comfortable

Negatives I again thought the subs should have been used 10mins earlier we looked tired at one stage & was crying out to take philiskirk & worall of but he did make the right changes

Start second half far to deep & fell asleep a couple of times at the back with one good save & a free header they should have scored

Do that v brentford & Orient your been punished

Massive win anything from the next 2 is a bonus. Well done & special mentioned to those who sang non stop in the chaddy

He closed down well and never stopped running, if only he could learn to cross a ball.

Crawley's best chance came from him getting attracted to the ball and challenging Lockwoods man as well as Lockwood, leaving his man free.Got away with it. Other than that he did well along with everyone else.Good team performance today