Rumours and Transfers 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it was you who put that rumour on the rumours website!!!!!

Heskey still looked decent in the 2012/13 season for Newcastle Jets - he scored a few goals and looked a class above the league (which is about lower Championship/League One standard I would say). Last season though I think he was crocked a bit and when he did play he just looked like typical Heskey.....held the ball up and took punishment from defenders, but basically never looked like scoring. Admittedly he was playing for a team that missed out on the finals. I would really hope we would avoid signing him.

On a separate note, he was pretty polite to me when I served him and his family during my ill-fated short stint working at the Leicester Odeon cinema as a student about 10 years ago. I think he and his kids were seeing 'A Shark Tale'. Maybe not the best footballer but a damn fine customer......

On a separate note, he was pretty polite to me when I served him and his family during my ill-fated short stint working at the Leicester Odeon cinema as a student about 10 years ago. I think he and his kids were seeing 'A Shark Tale'. Maybe not the best footballer but a damn fine customer......

Have always felt sorry for the stick Heskey has taken over the years. Having met him a few times after playing football with his brother and cousin for a couple of seasons, he came across as a lovely fella.

Completely unassuming and just wanted to watch the lads play, often under a baseball cap to avoid any attention.

You would not have known in any way that he was a multi million pound footballer at the time!!

Edited by whitey1980

Don't get me wrong, Heskey is probably a really, really great bloke and 13 years ago was a decent footballer - the 5-1 against Germany on my birthday stands out - but not what we need.

What's the point of spending cash on someone who can hold up the ball etc when were crying out for someone who puts the ball in the net more than 20 times in a season?

He can probably be excellent as a striking for the likes of JCH, Turner etc but we need someone who can partner them but will chip in with the goals too

Don't get me wrong, Heskey is probably a really, really great bloke and 13 years ago was a decent footballer - the 5-1 against Germany on my birthday stands out - but not what we need.

What's the point of spending cash on someone who can hold up the ball etc when were crying out for someone who puts the ball in the net more than 20 times in a season?

He can probably be excellent as a striking for the likes of JCH, Turner etc but we need someone who can partner them but will chip in with the goals too

Totally agree mate!

The comment wasn't about him as a potential signing - more an observation.

Truth be told, his temperament was actually one of the things that held him back from reaching his raw physical potential as a footballer.

I'm not actually convinced we do need a 20 goal striker, as I feel we already potentially have one in JCH (another would be great of course!!)

In my opinion the shape of the team has to allow more goals and forward runs from midfield. Our goal return from this area has been anaemic for far too long!!

It looks like we'll have runners from

Midfield this season so that could be exactly what we need.

Maybe this is what Gros is being looked at for aswell

The last paragraph almost confirms he has been signed!!!

Quote....

A Town spokesman told the Advertiser that Rodgers is on trial with the Robins, though the Adver understands he is close to being confirmed as a Swindon player.

The last paragraph almost confirms he has been signed!!!

Quote....

A Town spokesman told the Advertiser that Rodgers is on trial with the Robins, though the Adver understands he is close to being confirmed as a Swindon player.

He's done well for himself there.

We've got David Noble on trial...

Saw him a lot for Exeter in the past and a bit last year for Cheltenham.

Purely in terms of ability he could probably do well at this level, if played as a deep lying midfielder. He isn't the most mobile but has a good range of passing and his decision making on-the-pitch was smart. Good from long range and at set-pieces too iirc.

But...

Despite not being a unanimous favourite at Exeter it was a surprise that he wasn't even offered a contract, then early in the next season there were allegations/rumours of him getting into some trouble and that he was facing a different kind of trial allegedly. Rotherham barely played him thereafter and looked to get rid. At Cheltenham he started well but by the end of the season was rumoured to be one of the main causes of dressing room unrest there.

A whole load of rumours and hearsay in all that I know, but certainly not good vibes nor does he seem worth taking a gamble on. Besides, Kelly seems like a younger and better version of him as does Dieng.