Rumours and Transfers 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else slightly underwhelmed & worried about how the squad is shaping up?

No.

Defence and midfield looks stronger than last season to me.

Upfront I'd love us to sign a recognised goalscorer as much as the next person but I think we're maybe underestimating what Clarke Harris and Philliskirk will do. Both will notch double figures given a full season I reckon. If one of Gros, Turner or Bove clicks too we'll be in very good shape.

I predict Gros will become a cult figure and earn himself a longer deal very quickly.

If none of that happens I'm sure there'll be money left over for an experienced striker or premier league loanee.

Relax.

Fair enough, just personally feel like the midfield & attack was better at the start of last season and it took a couple of loans, especially Harkins to invigorate the squad and take us away from danger.

Now the squad in my eyes, the defence is better but the midfield has slightly worsened and the attack especially and with LJ saying no more permanent signings im worried that we're lacking goals & couple that with the midfield, i feel we may be slightly in trouble.

Put in this way i haven't been worried before a start of a season before, and with the squad with the way it is at the moment that worrying feeling has returned.

We NEED someone like a Clarke etc to put the ball in the back of the net and also help the inexperienced lads in the squad.

Just my opinion

Fair enough, just personally feel like the midfield & attack was better at the start of last season and it took a couple of loans, especially Harkins to invigorate the squad and take us away from danger.

Now the squad in my eyes, the defence is better but the midfield has slightly worsened and the attack especially and with LJ saying no more permanent signings im worried that we're lacking goals & couple that with the midfield, i feel we may be slightly in trouble.

Put in this way i haven't been worried before a start of a season before, and with the squad with the way it is at the moment that worrying feeling has returned.

We NEED someone like a Clarke etc to put the ball in the back of the net and also help the inexperienced lads in the squad.

Just my opinion

I know what you're saying, but the whole issue here for me, as it was last season, is it does not matter a jot who we have up front - if we continue to play 4-5-1, defend as a team 30 yards from our goal and then break forward at a snail's pace when we do have the ball; no one who is playing up front will score!

I just cannot fathom why we are set up playing the way we are - only the top teams who have the players with real skill and fitness ala Germany can afford to line up with strikers as wingers, we cannot.

We do have a talented squad yet it is being stifled by LJ and after the promise of last season i am very suprised - it's almost as if just because the football style didn't quite come off in terms of chances converted and therefore games won; that he's dismissed it as if it never existed and took up this defensive approach out of nowhere

4-4-2 please LJ

JCH and Gros up top does sound threatening........................I wouldn't fancy a battle from those two every week

Llera up front is the answer. Knows where the onion bag is. Can play in defence if needed. Think I'm having an Ian Marshall moment!!!!!

funny you should say that - I had exactly the same thought! He is definitely a danger given the service.

We looks pretty weak up front; and yesterdays announcements have done little to alter that IMO.

There's too much 'hope' this season; hope that this season JCH clicks and delivers on promise. Hope that Philliskirk will have benifitted from his first full season and he too clicks. Hope that one of the youngsters can find a few goals off the bench. Hope that Gros gets up to fittness and suddenly starts to score way beyond he has done previously. Hope that a non league 25 year old hits the ground running in league football and can get us goals.

I said only a few weeks back that it would be a huge risk to start the season with what we had. Adding the 2 from yesterday hasnt upped that at all. Its still a huge risk lining up with that set of forwards to choose from.

But, that said - if its 1 up top with a lack of bodies running from deep and an lack of creativity; it doesnt really matter.

Defence looks relatively sorted. Its midfield and attack that arent anywhere near sorted yet...

Ross2509 - I agree with what ur saying about needing a goalscorer, but look what happened last year when we had one! Rooney is not a bad player, but as Shefflatic says, the way we played we made him look pretty poor!

We need to decide which way we are going to play and stick to it - I do think we are stronger all round and certainly more mobile in midfield - this in itself should help our forwards, by having midfielders that will run past them.

As always, I remain optimistic and if we can keep people fit, I believe will do a lot better than last season.....but I would sign Llera as an option at both ends!

Maybe the strikers we could realistically sign aren't good enough for LJ to want to give a year or twos contract to?

And maybe he thinks that will change as the season approaches or progresses.

There've been quality defenders & midfielders available so he's concentrated on that.

Maybe he wanted to fit players into a system and a style of play last season but quickly realised that doesn't work with League One footballers.

Signing the best quality we can afford and building the system around them makes much more sense.

Why are we still trialling Llera if he's too expensive and there'll be no more permanent signings?

Ignoring the fact he's now been offered a deal - the logic is that you keep him in place, keep him sweet and hope that a month before the season with no one offering him more money he takes what's on the table and signs for you.

It's a system with weaknesses (gets fit and :censored:s off) but worth a punt given it's not cash-money you're paying him weekly, just time/resource.

Ignoring the fact he's now been offered a deal - the logic is that you keep him in place, keep him sweet and hope that a month before the season with no one offering him more money he takes what's on the table and signs for you.

It's a system with weaknesses (gets fit and :censored:s off) but worth a punt given it's not cash-money you're paying him weekly, just time/resource.

Probably other offers for Llera and his agent to consider, he's also not guaranteed a starting place in the team.

Edited by BP1960