Rumours and Transfers 2014

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I really think he was :censored:. Compare to Porter - other players scored more when he played as well as scoring himself.

The blame for other players not sharing the load has to lie with the manager surely?

Beckett was very good at his role, finding space and positions in the box that give him the best chance of scoring goals. If a manager can't build a team/system around that then he isn't doing a very good job.

His career history suggests that an awful lot of managers at bigger clubs than us know as little as I do.

Some managers I have known get by on bluff..just like in any workplace.

Edited by BP1960

To be fair, I am not sure Andy Ritchie could be correctly described as prolific.

80 in 180 in the League is 1/2.6. Its fntastic and instrumental in our comparative success.

Andin 4/8 in FA Cup is good, and he was prolific with 18/18 in the League Cup

But I am not sure that reaches the prolific status, in my view.

And most importantly he scored on the big and important occasions!!

And prolific if compared to the past 20 years!

And take nothing away, a legend=pure and simple.

This is why stats are complete bollocks. Everyone on here with even half a brain cell could understand how good Stitch was. He was my favourite player of all time. Not only was he a 'big match' player, but the amount of assists and clever play he was responsible for was phenomenal. Right down to canny movements off the ball to let players in a move or two before a goal. You'd never pick :censored: like that off stats alone.

Beckett was toss?

congratulations on the worst post of the year award!

I'd rather have Beckett knocking in 20 tap ins a year than someone scoring 6 world class finishes and a few assists.

Edited by Fruitygoo

This is why stats are complete bollocks. Everyone on here with even half a brain cell could understand how good Stitch was. He was my favourite player of all time. Not only was he a 'big match' player, but the amount of assists and clever play he was responsible for was phenomenal. Right down to canny movements off the ball to let players in a move or two before a goal. You'd never pick :censored: like that off stats alone.

The stats still say his scoring record was just shy of 1 in every 2 starts in all competitions, across over 200 games. I don't think that's stretching the definition of the word 'prolific' too far!

I agree 100%. But, can we even say that the stats are bollocks? Define prolific. Surely, the figures point to a prolific goalscorer in my book (given it includes three seasons in the top flight and the rest in division two). Add to the that the fact that he was a creative genius (as you rightly point out) and you've got the stuff of legends (but we all know that).

Basically, i think he's mis-read the stats.

Andy Ritchie - all time god!

Actually it was 91 in 214 if you count his 2nd spell. Christ he was an exciting player and really rapid his hatrick on his second debut against Southampton was the stuff of fairy tales.

All in the first half IIRC. Shaw was pure class. We had some damn good strikers around that era....Shaw, Halom, Young, Taylor and Stan. I reckon Taylor was just as quick as Shaw.

The stats still say his scoring record was just shy of 1 in every 2 starts in all competitions, across over 200 games. I don't think that's stretching the definition of the word 'prolific' too far!

Edit - Especially if you add 'for Oldham'.

At the end of the day, he was an all round great player which is much much than just a prolific scorer and one of the reasons the team scored lots of goals.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Johnson says he'd like 1 more permanent signing before the Colchester game.... I wonder if that would be in addition to or instead of Llera who has already been offered a deal.

I don't think that's a problem, as long as he is looking to make more signings between then and September 1st.

Beckett was toss?

congratulations on the worst post of the year award!

I'd rather have Beckett knocking in 20 tap ins a year than someone scoring 6 world class finishes and a few assists.

I'm not having that when I've got over 5 months to work on it

Beckett had (at least) a 1 in 3 league goals per game ratio for every club he ever played for (aside for 5 games at Sheffield United). Pretty impressive, really. Especially when you compare that to what we've got now.

Edited by OneSizeFitz

Edit - Especially if you add 'for Oldham'.

At the end of the day, he was an all round great player which is much much than just a prolific scorer and one of the reasons the team scored lots of goals.

So we're all agreed.

Prolific...creative genius...and a god.

And, all at the top level.

Beckett had (at least) a 1 in 3 league goals per game ratio for every club he ever played for (aside for 5 games at Sheffield United). Pretty impressive, really. Especially when you compare that to what we've got now.

yes, he was okay at this level (for a fat slow bloke).

But, not in the same class as Quinn, Taylor, Palmer or (we all agree ) god.