BP renamed SportsDirect.com Park

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's true that we're losing near to a million a year this deal will only be partially covering losses, but it can't be a coincidence that we've just handed out the longest contract and, in likelihood, paid the biggest transfer fee we have for a few years days before this announcement. Probably a sign of stability coming from the prospect of new revenue sources.

The reality is in football today few teams succeed without selling their soul, and it's not too big a price to pay despite it being a horrible name. Also on the plus side is that Rotherham had links to Newcastle last season, taking a few players on loan who were very successful. I wouldn't mind following their model...

PREMIER LEAGUEArsenal - Emirates StadiumHull City - KC Stadium

Leicester City - King Power Stadium (formerly Walkers Stadium)Manchester City - Etihad Stadium (City of Manchester Stadium/Eastlands)Stoke City - Britannia Stadium CHAMPIONSHIPBolton - Macron Stadium (Reebok Stadium) Bournemouth - Goldsands Stadium (Dean Court)Brighton - American Express Community Stadium (Falmer Stadium)Derby - The iPro Stadium (Pride Park)Huddersfield Town - John Smith's Stadium (formerly Galpharm Stadium and originally Alfred McAlpine Stadium)Wigan Athletic - DW Stadium LEAGUE ONEBradford City - Coral Windows Stadium (Valley Parade)

Chesterfield - Proact Stadium (formerly B2net Stadium)Colchester United - Weston Homes Community Stadium (Colchester Community Stadium)Coventry City - Ricoh Arena (City of Coventry Stadium)*Crawley Town - Checkatrade.com Stadium (Broadfield Stadium)

Doncaster Rovers - The Keepmoat StadiumLeyton Orient - Matchroom Stadium (Brisbane Road)

Oldham Athletic - SportsDirect.com Park (Boundary Park)Shrewsbury Town - Greenhous Meadow (The New Meadow)Stevenage Borough - The Lamex Stadium (Broadhall Way)Walsall - Banks's Stadium (Bescot Stadium)LEAGUE TWO AFC Wimbledon - The Cherry Red Records Stadium (Kingsmeadow)Burton Albion - Pirelli Stadium Bury - JD Stadium (Gigg Lane)

Cambridge United - R Costings Abbey Stadium (Abbey Stadium)Cheltenham Town - Abbey Business Stadium (Whaddon Road)Dagenham - London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium (Victoria Road)Mansfield Town - One Call Stadium (Field Mill)Morecambe - Globe Arena

I did say not new grounds - and the vast majority of those are new in that the club has moved from its traditional ground

But the ones that aren't eg Mansfield and Brad City underline my point that the old name is still the one used

Actually, it is the "Athletic Ground"? It was only renamed Boundary Park in about 1899. All you part timers and fly by night fans can call it by its modern name of Boundary Park but it will always remain the "Athletic Ground" to me.

You are doing remarkably well for someone over 115 years old. :)

Edited by BP1960

I should think the new stand and the Main Stand will have a massive SportsDirect.com Park sign on them..

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

The deal on the OS doesn't mention them sponsoring the North Stand, so there is still an opportunity for a bit more sponsorship lolly.

Edited by laticsrblue

Of course that is going to happen, but at least we get something out of it for once.

In fact nmothing would please me more if the City/United shirts around Oldham came from there and we got a small cut of each one sold.

£10 reduction on admission to BP (sorry Sports Direct Park.com) if anyone buys a replica club shirt other than the Latics. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

purely out of interest, what happens if we have a great young player who is being courted by 2-3 big clubs and one of them happens to be Newcastle? Do they get preferential treatment? Is that legal? What if their offer is derisoy compared to the other clubs but our sponsor puts 'pressure' on us? Basically, are there any ehtical issues here?

purely out of interest, what happens if we have a great young player who is being courted by 2-3 big clubs and one of them happens to be Newcastle? Do they get preferential treatment? Is that legal? What if their offer is derisoy compared to the other clubs but our sponsor puts 'pressure' on us? Basically, are there any ehtical issues here?

Can't see how any issue could arise given that the value of a young player being courted by 2-3 big clubs is probably more than the sponsorship deal. As ever in these situations the real power would be with the player & his agent.

A business decision is taken as to what is the greatest benefit to Oldham.

Has it been confirmed anywhere how much this deal is worth ,

6 pages of positive reaction but ain't seen much detail about the deal itself !!!!!

There won't be detail.

Its a confidential business deal with neither party wanting to spell out the intricacies. I think there's been a nod and a wink to the media that its worth about £1million over five years. Whether thats equal payments, front loaded or whatever, I don't have great concerns.

That sounds like a first option deal, where Newcastle would have first refusal on our players. All it would mean in practice is that when we accept an offer for one of our players we must accept an offer of the equivalent value from Newcastle.

That's the most sway they could hold over us, and they might not even have something that formal arranged.

Apparently Sports Direct run similar club shops at Portsmouth and Rangers...

Dagenham & Redbridge, Franchise, Gillingham, Torquay, Yeovil, Gateshead and Halifax all have a free online club store via Sondico Professional/Vandanel, in association with SportsDirect. It offers them the opportunity to generate funds from sales, without requiring financial or time investment.

If it's true that we're losing near to a million a year

Excluding stand building costs, there is no truth in this and the accounts confirm it.

Give or take a few quid Latics have been operated on a break even basis since Corney took sole control.