BP renamed SportsDirect.com Park

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Mr Ashley helped me with ongoing Rubbish Weekend Packing issues today by selling me a tee shirt, 4 pairs of boxers and a pair of floppy shoes for 25 quid from his London shop. It was in a decent state for an Oxford Street discounter as well.

Probably. Ashton wear Blue, don't they?

If I remember correctly, last season we wore our new home kit whilst Curzon wore their red away kit. We then unveiled the raspberry away kit at the Macclesfield home game.

I did say not new grounds - and the vast majority of those are new in that the club has moved from its traditional ground

But the ones that aren't eg Mansfield and Brad City underline my point that the old name is still the one used

Yeah I know - don't worry, I didn't type it all in!

I've been trying to think of a long established ground that has lost being called by its original name after being "renamed" . Can't think of one.

In fact cant think of many that have been renamed . It's the new grounds that seem to have sponsored names.

Leyton Orient I suppose and to most fans its still Brisbane Road rather than the Matchroom Stadium,

Ethiad, then again City of Manchester Stadium is even more of a mouthful. The King Power stadium formerly the Walkers Stadium in Leicester is another weird anomaly, don't think too many call it either but it hasn't really had a non-sponsored name.

It was but counts for squat didely on the 9th of august especially as half of that team will be gone.

Not in numbers or points on the board, but in terms of squad, in particular defensive structure, that 10 game unbeaten run was particularly crucial.

We are now in the knowledge that the Wilson/Lockwood partnership worked at the back. Brown was becoming a revelation and promising right back towards the end of the season. With Mills and Wilson, this can surely only improve.

So, we can't so easily dismiss that 10-game run as something of nothing.

how long have we waited for this.

new stand sponsored in 1million deal it's starting to earn us money already along with the other company's coming on board taking up unit space dare I say it were on the up

All signs are pointing that way. Happy to be a fan of Latics even more so and excited for the seasons to come.

A huge leap forward for the club. I would have preferred Stadium though, Park is an obvious compromise but it just won't roll off the tongue in next seasons home televised cup tie with Liverpool. Virtually all the other ground name changes have gone with Stadium. A small price to pay, we will probably only hear it in home televised games.

I think the aversion to selling * and ? shirts is short sighted. Latics commission on them will be considerable and could quite possibly be second best selling shirt in the store. These customers are also likely to buy other products and tell others where they bought them. Higher income relates to higher players budget - it's as simple as that. Never, refuse to sell what a customer wants. within the law of course.

Happy days.

I hear what you say Mike but for me "stadium" is just plain wrong.

It may be an age thing but for me the word conjures up something really big and special. When I was a kid I think the only football stadium in England was Wembley. Everywhere else was a ground - lots of "parks" but street names like Portman Road or Filbert Street and geographical identifiers such as Deepdale or Spotland etc.

Just saying a ground is a "stadium" is like lipstick on a pig.

Edited by LaticsPete

Will Latics get commission on sales of any non Latics related sports stuff eg City/Manure/Liverpool shirts etc sold in the Sportsdirect shop in the North Stand (Note - no sponsorship deal yet for the new stand) or are we just getting rent off them for the retail space?

The Chron says Latics will get royalties on sales, but that will only be for Latics stuff.

The rent itself will be a fair amount and probably for a fixed period, having SD there will attract other investment so the percentage from the shop is really here nor there, with them managing the sale of club merchandise its money for nothing, no overheads for the club no surplus stock to deal with and no staff to employ, all I am bothered about is that the deal has been done with the best interests of the club in mind and im sure we will be better off for it, for me thats progress.

Many ways to skin a cat:

• Fixed rent
  • Fixed rent + comission
  • Commission only (i.e turover based rent)

If we have a fixed rent, the commission is likely to be lower than if commission only. The commission itself may also be variable depending on level of sales made and whether it is Latics IP or not.

The rent itself will be a fair amount and probably for a fixed period, having SD there will attract other investment so the percentage from the shop is really here nor there, with them managing the sale of club merchandise its money for nothing, no overheads for the club no surplus stock to deal with and no staff to employ, all I am bothered about is that the deal has been done with the best interests of the club in mind and im sure we will be better off for it, for me thats progress.