Ched Evans

Ched Evans Poll  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

I think I'm in the camp of allowing him to play. His conviction will stick with him, he'll be jeered by hundreds and sometimes thousands of fans in every match he plays from now until the end of his career. He's not likely to offend again regardless of whether he plays football or not. I can't really think of a reason why he shouldn't play.

For the record, I struggle with the 'he shouldn't be allowed to be a footballer because footballers are role models' argument and I agree that he has a right to play, I just hope no club gives him the opportunity to do so. In what other profession would any organisation knowingly employ a convicted rapist?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus. The PFA's solicitor is drawing comparisons with the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six.

He's also says "This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it."

What an absolute prick.

He wasn't drawing any comparisons other than to say that people vilified in public and by he media have had their cases overturned. That was the only point made by bringing up the Guilford Four and Birmingham Six. But quite typically the BBC threw some spin on it and turned it into an outrageous headline.

He wasn't drawing any comparisons other than to say that people vilified in public and by he media have had their cases overturned. That was the only point made by bringing up the Guilford Four and Birmingham Six. But quite typically the BBC threw some spin on it and turned it into an outrageous headline.

Not just the BBC, pretty much every news agency going.

The (edit - Irish) PFA have taken down the article (I wonder why?)

Though I have it here:

'The difficult element of this discussion, though, is the part about the scale of the crime. There are people who will say rape is rape and degrees shouldn’t come into it but in sentencing these issues matter. This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it. This, I hasten to add, does not make it right, or anything close to it, but it is nonetheless a mitigating factor.

From Jessica Ennis-Hill to Charlie Webster and pretty much every media commentator who has waded into this mire, the horses most of these pundits have mounted are so high, they’ll need a parachute to get down. When sanctimony takes over, there is rarely any real room for serious debate.

It’s not easy to muster up too much sympathy for Evans but there is surely nothing worse than being accused of a crime which you genuinely believe you didn’t commit.

The argument against that is that a jury convicted him of the crime. That’s right. And the same applied to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six. They got no public sympathy either.

Maybe he is guilty or perhaps he’s innocent, none of us knows for sure. Surely, either way, he deserves a chance at redemption. Don’t we all?'

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Not just the BBC, pretty much every news agency going.

The PFA have taken down the article (I wonder why?)

Though I have it here:

'The difficult element of this discussion, though, is the part about the scale of the crime. There are people who will say rape is rape and degrees shouldn’t come into it but in sentencing these issues matter. This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it. This, I hasten to add, does not make it right, or anything close to it, but it is nonetheless a mitigating factor.

From Jessica Ennis-Hill to Charlie Webster and pretty much every media commentator who has waded into this mire, the horses most of these pundits have mounted are so high, they’ll need a parachute to get down. When sanctimony takes over, there is rarely any real room for serious debate.

It’s not easy to muster up too much sympathy for Evans but there is surely nothing worse than being accused of a crime which you genuinely believe you didn’t commit.

The argument against that is that a jury convicted him of the crime. That’s right. And the same applied to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six. They got no public sympathy either.

Maybe he is guilty or perhaps he’s innocent, none of us knows for sure. Surely, either way, he deserves a chance at redemption. Don’t we all?'

....and that people, Is one of the most unbelievable statements I've seen on this matter.

Wow - and from the PFA too? Who wrote that and thought it was a good idea I wonder?

....and that people, Is one of the most unbelievable statements I've seen on this matter.

Wow - and from the PFA too? Who wrote that and thought it was a good idea I wonder?

I really don't know what they are trying to say. Having their cake and eating it by both suggesting he's not guilty and pointing to it being a non violent rape.

Unbelievable because....it's the truth?

No, no - not that at all. I take it from your posts on this thread that I'll wager this will fall on deaf ears, but:

It's unbelievable because I'm amazed the PFA have decided to release such an ill thought-out and poorly worded statement on this most delicate of subject matters.

IMO, all they have done is show themselves up to be the old school boys club that they've tried to move away from.

I mean, the bit that said, 'we don't scale rape, but this was on the lo end; there was no violence and she can't remember it' - come on people. It's 2014 FFS, that's only an extra line away from saying....'and Ched's a big lad, so what's she got to complain about, bet she had a right good seeing too and loved every minute of it'. It's pub talk at best, and in no way should have been released. 'It could have been worse, he could have smacked her around a bit too' - awful sentiments.

The bit that digs at Jessica Ennis-Hill and Charlie Webster too. Smacks of the male-dominated changing room talk ' these silly girls don't know what their talking about'. There was no need or context to make the statement about climbing off their moral high horse.

It's an awful press release, and I'm not surprised they've taken it down.

Anyone who finds themselves nodding along and agreeing with it was they read, needs to give their own heads a very firm wobble...

No, no - not that at all. I take it from your posts on this thread that I'll wager this will fall on deaf ears, but:

It's unbelievable because I'm amazed the PFA have decided to release such an ill thought-out and poorly worded statement on this most delicate of subject matters.

IMO, all they have done is show themselves up to be the old school boys club that they've tried to move away from.

I mean, the bit that said, 'we don't scale rape, but this was on the lo end; there was no violence and she can't remember it' - come on people. It's 2014 FFS, that's only an extra line away from saying....'and Ched's a big lad, so what's she got to complain about, bet she had a right good seeing too and loved every minute of it'. It's pub talk at best, and in no way should have been released. 'It could have been worse, he could have smacked her around a bit too' - awful sentiments.

The bit that digs at Jessica Ennis-Hill and Charlie Webster too. Smacks of the male-dominated changing room talk ' these silly girls don't know what their talking about'. There was no need or context to make the statement about climbing off their moral high horse.

It's an awful press release, and I'm not surprised they've taken it down.

Anyone who finds themselves nodding along and agreeing with it was they read, needs to give their own heads a very firm wobble...

Well said, though its the Irish PFA (my fault).

Jesus. The PFA's solicitor is drawing comparisons with the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six.

He's also says "This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it."

What an absolute prick.

If you want any more proof the game is rotten to the core its that statement....

What an absolute prick.

That's rather like saying if I fainted in the street then somebody nicked my wallet it would be an injustice if the perpetrator was found guilty.

I just wish they'd hurry the feck up and review the case.

He shouldn't get any special treatment just because he's a footballer. There'll be other reviews ahead of him who have the same right to appeal as Evans.

For me, he shouldn't play until his appeal is over, and I don't think he will.

The person making the statement on the Irish PFA site, although what it has to do with them is another matter, is a qualified solicitor and seemingly that's part of his job.

If the solicitors' regulators are anything like the medical regulators here; then that's going to land the statement maker in hot water. The fact that it makes him, the Irish PFA, and by default the (English) PFA look like a hunch of chauvinistic pricks who are the sort of people who turned a blind eye to the likes of Saville and Smith is a little bit extra. Ched Evans is a convicted rapist, until the courts prove otherwise, and one part of the appeals process didn't overturn the original verdict. The nature and circumstances of the rape doesn't matter one iota.

Edited by rudemedic

Are they trying to say he's :censored: at rape?

"In his profession, hes used to scoring quite regurlarly, so on this occasion when the victim was unconcious he pounced like any good Number 9 would, and tucked it away without so much as a fightback from the host."

I still think the only discussion here is if you believe that someone should be allowed to return to employment after serving their punishment? (and logically, most people will go back to doing what they love or are trained to do)

I genuinely do not see why other factors are introduced into the argument and the Irish PFA statement was completely ridiculous for this very reason.

it surely has to be in everyone's interests that all convicted criminals return to society if and when appropriate and live peacefully and contribute positively and financially....to deny someone the opportunity to do that in a full and free manner is fundamentally wrong in my view, and likely to lead to further crimes.

...and just to be clear, no softy liberal sentiment here, i believe we should have whole life sentences use fixed terms far more than we do but once we deem someone has served their time and is no longer a threat to society then surely that is that.