Connor Brown Loaned Out

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As did Brown, he didnt change my mind

Me neither. But he worked on his game and improved as a player and deserves credit for that. If he's in the squad and can cover from time to time I'm comfortable with that.

Equally, where I'm in total agreement with you, if he's first choice we are in the bottom half of the table worrying about relegation.

Firstly, good luck to the lad with this move. I see it's only a 28 days emergancy loan; but if it suits both parties, I guess it could be extended?

I've been critical of Brown in the past, but I genuninely hope this loan move works out for him.

He's not a very good footballer, but he has worked at his game and made improvements in certain areas of his game. Unfortunately for him, instead of the siege mentality functional football we played last season when he was in & out of the side, we've moved on.

The style & tactics we now play unfortunately show him up for all his footballing defects. Mainly, in a side where passing and movement seems to be key, he falls massively down.

I was pretty annoyed he was re-signed; as I was worried LJ saw him as 1st choice. With that type of player ability, I was worried it was sign of where we were heading this season. Brian Wilson's signing and Kusunga's re-signing thankfully meant Connor Brown was purely squad filler and, as just that, he's fine.

3rd choice RB, and 2nd/3rd choice LB - he's more than fine for those roles when needed - which, so far, hasnt been much at all.

....and that's a problem for him. He's not going to improve any if he's not playing. Thankfully for us, he's not been needed much at all, and B Wilson and Kusunga have both been impressive so far (long may that continue too!)

Frees up a tiny bit of wage, gets him games (hopefully?) and - well, it's not affecting the team either.

Decent move all around really, and good luck to him...

We could always loan Lockwood to 'The Red Scum' as they seem to need him more than we do! £50K a week?

By the way doesnt Elokobi now become our reserve left back though?

Good point, aside from our high casualty list at CB Connor is against Mellor for second change LB unless Big George is automatically in at CB when fit. Locky and George are straight swaps for me.

At left back we have Mills as the obvious 1st choice. Elekobi played a big number of games at LB for Wolves, and he'd be 2nd (as i see him as 1st choice CB alongside J Wilson)

Then we did have Connor Brown - but he was on his wrong foot on that side, and was a poorer LB than he was a RB too. Some would have him as our 3rd choice though.

On top of that, we have Dave Mellor who, again, whilst out of position, has played there plenty of times. And finally - we have the young prospect in Jack Truelove; a natural LB.

I'd say that even with Connor Brown leaving, we're still very well stocked for options as cover should Mills' leg fall off or similar...

Connor, IMO, wont be missed as RB or LB cover; we have plenty of options; most better than him.

This loan move is good one for him to go an get games, he wouldnt be here...

Edited by slystallone

I think Lockwood will really struggle in the side with the current demands on our centre backs.

He has never looked comfortable when stretched into wider areas and yet in our current system thats exactly what we require our centre backs to do when we are in possession.

Would have him even behind Dieng at present.

As for Brown, as others have said, good move for all parties for the reasons discussed!!

We were talking about that at the game, and then in the pub afterwards.

Lockwood was toss wank when he first came into side, and took an age to get going fully. Once he did though, the style and attitude being asked of the side suited him down to the ground; and credit where it's massively due; he was such a huge part of the 'defend for your lives, seige mentality' football that ground out the results we needed to survive.

Now though, we / he have a bit of a problem. The style has changed and now isnt IMO suited at all to Lockwood. We pass comfortably between CB's across the backline (with wide positions taken as the poster above points out) and both CB's are being encouraged to bring the ball out from defence with dribbles up to & beyond our midfield.

J Wilson, Elekobi, Kusunga and Dieng have all shown they are more than comfortable doing that, have the footballing ability to do that, and also have the pace to recover ( a la Kusunga yesterday) back should it not work and they lose the ball.

On all those fronts, IMO Lockwood struggles.

A man to organise a defend for lives all out assault? Yep. A no nonsense kick the ball / head the ball / kick the player CB? Yep?

Suited to the way we now play? Hmmmm.....

The last 5 minutes yesterday there was an argument for Lockwood making a triumphant return to the fold. We were looking slightly disorganised at the back, they were pressing and he could have put Dagnall back in his pocket. The fact that his wife and kids weren't seemingly saying the same thing, was an indication that maybe the General isn't quite fit enough yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lockwood for Winchester being a common substitution until Xmas, though, as we look to see out good results.

The last 5 minutes yesterday there was an argument for Lockwood making a triumphant return to the fold. We were looking slightly disorganised at the back, they were pressing and he could have put Dagnall back in his pocket. The fact that his wife and kids weren't seemingly saying the same thing, was an indication that maybe the General isn't quite fit enough yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lockwood for Winchester being a common substitution until Xmas, though, as we look to see out good results.

Was it me, or has Dagnall put a bit of timber on. Don't seem to recall him being that large.

He was definitely looking more solid than from his time at Dale

Worked his nads off yesterday did Dagnall, for little return from his teammates though.

Always been a player who i've wondered why he has never rocked up here, i rate him too...

Edited by slystallone

• 10 months later...

Wishful thinking I know!!!

Come on who actually rates him at leftback? Are 90% who watch our games and reckon he is :censored:e missing something, I've played in teams with better fullbacks on a Sunday morning, how the lad gets in the team week after week is beyond me.

To be fair, whilst I don't really rate Connor brown, a majority thought matt smith was :censored:e, same for O'Grady. You could probably argue Eardley was maligned by most.