Crawley (H) - Post-Match Discussion

Its weird how people see things differently - i thought jabo had a decent game as our only real outlet up front for the hoof forwards (usually a thankless task as a lot of the'passes' are at you rather than to you) he showed some good touches and hold up play and even runs down the wing! As others have said - less touches by philly and he scores - if brian wilson in great positions looks up he creates a couple.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was on here I read that a high percentage of goals are scored when a shot is taken first time. A touch gives defenders and keeper time to react and block. Given the numbers saying we take too many touches in the box (Philliskirk for example) maybe this is an issue for us to work on the training ground. Once you realise this and watch The Football League Show it's amazing how this is born out with goals scored from inside the box.

Wellbeck last night would be a good example

Edited by Stainrod

For me this was more disappointing than poor - however there are many teams in this division who will come to Boundary Park and play the same way as an obdurate Crawley did yesterday.

They were determined in their closing down, dogged in the tackle and defended in numbers - all eleven players in the box when we had a corner showed their intent. They were also reasonably adept at the counter attack with one or two pacey forwards.

But they should have been beaten. We had an early goal and then numerous chances to get the second which would have killed the game. As others have said, too many wasted crosses (Brian Wilson) and too many misplaced passes. Philliskirk was hugely involved but wasted a number of opportunities by wanting that extra touch. Their goal apart we defended well.

LJ is doing well and we are on an upward trajectory but we are too narrow in our play, over reliant on the fullbacks to get forward which means the middle of the park then becomes overcrowded. Johnson started with two mazy runs, the second ending with the early goal, but then seemed to slip into a more circumspect display. His goal had shown the way but we failed to build on it.

Three games coming up that will show if we have the right stuff to mount a serious challenge.

100% agree.Felt though more like a loss yesterday and need to put away more of the chances we make each game.We got punished for a mistake which happens.Lets press on and keep up with the pack.We have the best team I have seen for a long time and I am confident,having only missed the Swindon game,that we are getting there slowly but surely.

Yesterday also highlighted for me the lack of a vocal organiser in defence - some of the 'wacky' goalmouth scrambles that we allowed was because no-one took responsibility and dealt with it ...thankfully we have two of these on the way back (george and lockwood) .

The goal itself was because both centre halfs and keeper were way too casual and managed to present crawley with a goal from very little pressure.

I even saw the new boy johnson gesturing for them to communicate!

Yesterday also highlighted for me the lack of a vocal organiser in defence - some of the 'wacky' goalmouth scrambles that we allowed was because no-one took responsibility and dealt with it ...thankfully we have two of these on the way back (george and lockwood) .

The goal itself was because both centre halfs and keeper were way too casual and managed to present crawley with a goal from very little pressure.

I even saw the new boy johnson gesturing for them to communicate!

Agreed, Dieng is very quiet and although he can look quite comfortable at times, the centre back pairing looks sturdier with Elokobi in there.

I'll assume it's just a language barrier issue with Timmy as he was captain of the youth team at Brest, so must have showed leadership qualities.

Edited by ShireBlue

As good a player as James Wilson has proved himself to be, he is extremely quite on the pitch.

From my seat close to the pitch, you really hear him say anything. Nor Dieng.

Big George was this season's organiser, and Lockwood was last seasons.

It still amazes me that footballers can be so quite whilst going about their job on the pitch.

Whilst the Dieng and Wilson partnership has done surprisingly well as a stop gap, the minute Big George is fit, he should be put straight back in IMO, not least for his leadership...

I'd agree with most of what's been said. The Tidser sub was the wrong one completely, just completely screwed the system. Just one of those days, Philli could have (should have?) had a hattrick, or at least bagged the free header.

Moment of madness at the back, :censored: happens. Move on to the next one.

I'd agree with most of what's been said. The Tidser sub was the wrong one completely, just completely screwed the system. Just one of those days, Philli could have (should have?) had a hattrick, or at least bagged the free header.

Moment of madness at the back, :censored: happens. Move on to the next one.

Tidser for Kelly earlier would have been a better option, Poleon for Forte up front, 3rd sub Winchester for Johnson.

I noticed Kelly had his right thigh strapped up, wonder if he is carrying an injury?

Edited by BP1960

Doesn't quite show the extent of the mess their goal was.

Dieng, Rachubka and Wilson most at fault, but It does show the failure of Kelly in particular to quickly close down the goalscorer, I thought Kelly was struggling a bit yesterday with his right thigh strapped for some reason.

Ah, now this version tells the full story of that goal.

Rachubka had bags of time to clear the ball first time, he's not the only one, I always have my heart in my mouth with Joe Hart, it's a trend which has crept into the game which can do more harm than good.

Get back to basics LJ, tell the all the clubs keepers no more of this nonsense.

Edited by BP1960

A very frustrating afternoon at Boundary Park. Wouldn't call it a bad performance on the whole, we created plenty of chances and probably could have nicked it.

Crawley came for a point, set up for that and got it because of an unforgivable error from Rachubka/Wilson. They were a dirty team though, much of what you'd expect from a John Gregory team.

As for the people around me saying that we're :censored:. No we're not.

In terms of individuals...

Rachubka - Steady as usual on the whole, mostly decent distribution. Too much dicking about before their goal, should've been cleared easily.

B.Wilson - Good forward runs, steady defensively - gives you everything you really want in a full-back. Good effort from him, his crossing ability let him down slightly in the second half.

J.Wilson - Dealt with pretty much everything thrown at him - calm and composed. Again shouldn't have given the ball away for their goal, stupid clearance, but unlucky.

Dieng - Looks comfortable at the back. As i say, defence weren't caused too many problems all afternoon. Some of his passing could be better.

Mills - Definitely an off-day in a sense for Joseph. Thought he looked good going forward, some of his runs could have lead to something was he not hacked down by their thuggish defending. His touch and passing let him down in some parts of the game.

Kelly - Not up to his best, but still gives you what you need. Not much else to say.

Johnson - Good runs, both for the chance before and for his goal. Looks to have a good footballing brain with his flick-on's and back-heels. Need our players to learn how to play with him properly. Lack of match fitness maybe? He tired significantly second half.

Jones - Gives you all the effort in the world and runs his bollocks off. Shame he couldn't have nicked it with a long-range drill.

Philliskirk - Same as Jones, gives all his effort for the cause. Thought he could have been our match-winner today had he been able to get a clear shot away in the second half. Always looks to be getting himself and others involved in the game though.

Forte - Seemed off the ball and didn't provide much. However, scoring 11 goals doesn't go unnoticed by other teams and they'll all be looking to cut him out of the game, as Crawley kind of did today. Not sure whether he's carrying injury or got a knock as to why he went off.

Ibhere - Liked the look of him today, always looking to get into good areas. His touch can let him down at times, but at other times his hold up play can be very useful. It's a shame he doesn't have an extra yard of pace, he might have fared better today with that.

Subs...

Tidser - Looked very comfortable and slotted into the team well. Looks like he can pick a pass and looks to get others involved in play.

Poleon - Didn't see much of him to comment, needed a chance to run at them which never really came.

Dayton - Didn't do much, didn't have the chance to though.

Overall, as I said, not necessarily a bad performance, just wasn't up to a recent high standards. Onwards and Upwards to Sheffield United.

:OWTB1:

I think a very good summary of all players- I thought the new Johnson was brilliant in parts- his goal was genuine class- and he did something similar a few minutes before. Although it was a disappointing result I think we need to make minor changes to turn things round- it is daft to here all this "we are garbage" talk.

I would like to see more variety in free kicks- I don't expect Jones wonder goal against Leyton Orient to work every week and a variety of options would bring better results. I also thought we became too one dimensional with too many crossfield/back passes ending in poor final delievery.

The Forte issue is interesting after hearing LJ's post match interview - sounds like he must have balled out Forte who clearly did not agree. Even if this was not a comfortable role he just looked Lacklustre for me- e.g 1 time late in the 1st half he picked up the ball deep in the area and did not look interested in getting more than a corner.

Had it not been for the tragi/comic gift of a goal to Crawley we would have been talking of a gutsy ground out win.

I believe we will move on from a bad at the park and show improved performances over the coming weeks and hopefully see either Locky or Big George taking over the reins in defence again.

Come on Oldham One Team etc OWTB...

Tidser for Kelly earlier would have been a better option, Poleon for Forte up front, 3rd sub Winchester for Johnson.

I noticed Kelly had his right thigh strapped up, wonder if he is carrying an injury?

Really?

Why?

What could Tidser have done that Kelly wasn't already doing?

IMO, Tidser was not the sub to make, at all.

If Forte had to come off, and i'm not sure did really, if he did, then surely the change was Dayton to come on, with Philliskirk switching up front, Johnson moving to the number 10 role, and Dayton going to left.

But, its a game of opinions isnt it...

Really?

Why?

What could Tidser have done that Kelly wasn't already doing?

IMO, Tidser was not the sub to make, at all.

If Forte had to come off, and i'm not sure did really, if he did, then surely the change was Dayton to come on, with Philliskirk switching up front, Johnson moving to the number 10 role, and Dayton going to left.

But, its a game of opinions isnt it...

As I explained Kelly looked to be struggling, his right thigh was strapped up, he was taken off later than sooner IMO.

I noticed he held back from some challenges, I wondered if he was an injury doubt before the match?

Edited by BP1960

Are we in danger of over analysing?

The subs were what they were, and if and if a Philiskirk had put away one of his chances or Wilson had put in better balls from the byline, we'd almost certainly have won and there wouldn't be this debate

Its all about analysis these days Pete as we know from the manager. The days when the main tactic was give the ball to the likes of a Bobby Johnstone or Alan Groves and let them run the game have unfortunately long since gone.

Having said that, from what I saw yesterday my instructions would be give the ball to Damien Johnson and let him run the game.

Edited by BP1960

His pass back to the 'keeper was unnecessary and mis-directed.

No it wasn't?

Chubs is right footed. It was put across the box, onto Chubs right side.

He had an option to give it back to Dieng, who had made an angle for him to do that, or - clear it up field.

He did neither. He fecked about with it, played a wank ball to J Wilson, who found himself under pressure and miss-hit his clearance, and we were out of position, in a poor shape and shipped the goal as a direct result.

In no way, shape or form could any blame for that goal be levelled at Dieng.

Chubs' fault all day long...