• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am struggling with this now.

If the manager and/or the board have made the decision to sign Ched Evans to the point that it was being reported on the BBC - surely they realised based on the reaction at Sheff Utd and even our small link to him a month or so ago, that it would lead to a massive negative reaction.

To go ahead with the plan anyway, receive all the negative reaction and then "consider" their decision....what the hell? It cannot be a surprise.

Pulling our now would make the club look ridiculously foolish.

That said, I would be glad for him to not sign.

BBC now reporting the decision is in doubt, and the club are holding a board meeting this morning.

Dan Roan on radio 4 Today programme is now less likely. Club surprised at level of uproar!

It was a long term deal apparently.

No press conference today and he won't be training as planned.

Shambles. As a member of the minority clique that believes he should be allowed to try to re-integrate into society and work, any rethink of this is a complete balls up of the highest order. Either have the courage of your convictions or don't get involved in the first place. They knew exactly what the media storm would be like in the light of Sheffield United's position and our initial interest. To be scared off by the likes of the Daily Mail shows no bollocks whatsoever. Grow some.

Shambles. As a member of the minority clique that believes he should be allowed to try to re-integrate into society and work, any rethink of this is a complete balls up of the highest order. Either have the courage of your convictions or don't get involved in the first place. They knew exactly what the media storm would be like in the light of Sheffield United's position and our initial interest. To be scared off by the likes of the Daily Mail shows no bollocks whatsoever. Grow some.

Don't get me wrong.

I absolutely believe in this.

But I'm a shameless NIMBY and don't want him doing it at Oldham Athletic.

If the club back out now they are a bigger joke than I thought. They clearly want to give him a chance and believe his story. Sign him them. This mob rule rubbish is bollocks. Most of the PR damage is done anyway.

If you believe that, you're insane.

Damage has been done but it can be mitigated by backing out. Far worse damage will be done if we do actually sign him.

Edited by opinions4u

Lead story on BBC Five Live this morning.... Interview with a 16 year old fan who I would say wasn't representative of most of the opinion here. Makes you sick listening to it.

Its not going to be pretty when I get in work... If you are known as a Oldham fan I would imagine you are in for a day of :censored: from other fans.

Edited by oafc0000

1. Complete and utter naievity from the board if they didn't expect such a backlash

2. Walk away from the idea now and they look stupid - but wise enough to have realised their error

3. And let's hope that there is no signing , and all those who are genuinely concerned about the club get down to BP on Saturday and show our support

Can I urge any Latics fan against the move to make their representations to the relevant club hierarchy this morning. Yes it's a PR disaster whichever way but it will be by far the lesser of two evils if the club can be pursuaded to pull out.

Press conference has been delayed to due to a negotiation issue.

LJ to resign today.

Barry Owen to be announced as manager

Charles Bronson will be his assistant

The club figure nobody will give a :censored: about Ched after that.

Barry played a big part apparently. Doesn't he have the fans at heart?

If you believe that, you're insane.

Damage has been done but it can be mitigated by backing out. Far worse damage will be done if we do actually sign him.

Our owners want him, our directors want him and our sponosrs want him. We've spoken to his team and almost arranged a deal. No other club has got that far. PR wise we are tarnished now either way. That's if you care about the thoughts of a mob of shrieking do gooders.

I'd prefer to see the lad elsewhere however fully believe that bar padeos and serial killers we should all be allowed the chance to work. His main skill is football, let him play.

Can anyone confirm what the Trust Oldham Directors owtb names are?

I am beginning to think that its time for them to exorcise their right to cast that vote for Barry, a vote of no confidence perhaps or at least call an EGM.

I don't think I could feel more remote from my club than I do at the moment.

Edited by singe

Im going to be bluntly honest ....... All of us have made mistakes.... bad choices.... every single one of us, and we all in some way pay the piper. We have all done something morally wrong in the viewing eyes of 'others' no matter how small it seems to us. The petty shoplifters .... the drunk drivers, speeders the people who regularly park in the disabled spots, the adulterers, burglars, recievers of stolen goods, the drug takers, pushers, tax evaders, the uninsured. We have all done it and we have been judgedm not always by the court, but stuill judged. Those of us that manage other people at work would love to think that they are fair and a good person to work for, ask thier subordinates and that would telll a different story.

The man we are reported as signing is, without a doubt a prize idiot for allowing himself to do what he has done, he was sent to prison by a Jury of his peers and released as like with most offences, when the system deems them no longer a threat to society. Will Mr Evans re offend should be the question we ask, will he ?. If the rehabilitation of offenders act is in question, morally or otherwise then perhaps the peer pressure that the petition being signed by all and sundry should be aimed at that .... not at a football club that has acted perfectly legally.

My personal opinion is neither here nor there, this is not my opinion this is just me staying emotionally seperated from the subject.

There are a couple of threads in which fellow fans are calling for the head of the fans rep ..... Again irrelevant of my personal opinion ... is this right ?

Im going to be bluntly honest ....... All of us have made mistakes.... bad choices.... every single one of us, and we all in some way pay the piper. We have all done something morally wrong in the viewing eyes of 'others' no matter how small it seems to us. The petty shoplifters .... the drunk drivers, speeders the people who regularly park in the disabled spots, the adulterers, burglars, recievers of stolen goods, the drug takers, pushers, tax evaders, the uninsured. We have all done it and we have been judgedm not always by the court, but stuill judged. Those of us that manage other people at work would love to think that they are fair and a good person to work for, ask thier subordinates and that would telll a different story.

The man we are reported as signing is, without a doubt a prize idiot for allowing himself to do what he has done, he was sent to prison by a Jury of his peers and released as like with most offences, when the system deems them no longer a threat to society. Will Mr Evans re offend should be the question we ask, will he ?. If the rehabilitation of offenders act is in question, morally or otherwise then perhaps the peer pressure that the petition being signed by all and sundry should be aimed at that .... not at a football club that has acted perfectly legally.

My personal opinion is neither here nor there, this is not my opinion this is just me staying emotionally seperated from the subject.

There are a couple of threads in which fellow fans are calling for the head of the fans rep ..... Again irrelevant of my personal opinion ... is this right ?

I am as liberal as they come, the point is twofold. He is in the middle of a review, concentrate on that. And it is a poor footballing decision. He won't be match fit till Feb and LJ said he would do due diligence on any player.

And with regard to Barry, I have been very supportive of him on here, and against all the petty name calling, and not joined in the vitriol, but this is a step too far, so yes he should be held to account. I was appalled at the sleight of hand that allows him to continue without lection and not why I joined the Trust. I will continue in the Trust until that method of election is over turned. I don't mind longer periods before elections for stability, but Barry has to stand for re-election democratically periodically.