Just to clarify the Charlie Webster case, she also tweeted that she was disappointed that she didn't recently get a picture with Mike Tyson...

I didn't realise we were in for signing Tyson too, or she had anything to do with the story from a Latics point of view.

Her or his views have sod all to do with this story.

Edited by pukka

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my main argument is that hes convicted of a serious crime which he's never shown any remorse for. Why should he be allowed back into what is a very high profile job with lots of media attention. Can you imagine the impact that has on the victim, her family and other rape victims? I've seen so many awful comments on the Oldham facebook page from young adults and teenagers who take the view that it was not rape because she couldn't remember that is what happened - we live in a very dangerous culture where it is acceptable for people to think that.

Sorry Josh, that was meant to be an upboat!

Everyone has an opinion Pukka, if she was so passionate about her crusade she wouldn't have tweeted her disappointment in not getting a picture with a convicted rapist.

I don't wont Ched anywhere near BP, anyone connected to the town or club deserves there say..

If this goes into a 4th day: serious questions need to be asked.

Has he already been signed and we are trying to get out of it?

Strange, isn't it. Given that SC owns the club, there can't be much in the way of a debate. He can make the decision without discussing or debating it with anyone. It points to a complex legal argument based on the fact that something has been signed or agreed. Or, he's still hoping it will all die down as quickly as it erupted. Or, cynically and ridiculously, he's milking the free global publicity (no, i'm not serious). Listening to Gordon Taylor on Sunday it did appear that he was trying to force the issue. Perhaps some type of agreement had been made and little Gordon is kicking off? Perhaps we should organise a tram trip to Oxford Road and tell him to piss off.

How much would it cost to pay off the rapist? Five months wages? About £30k? I have no idea, but SC should hold his hands up and pay it out of his own money.

The bottom line is that whether we sign Evans or not , latics should have known from the fall out at Sheffield what they could expect.

They should have conducted all these talks with sponsors etc etc before making any move.

Once they had done all that they should then have made a decision to sign him or not.

Then if they wanted to sign him just do it ,announce it to the whole world and stick by it 100%.

We are now allowing the backlash to influence the decision which is wrong , having signed him we should just be taking the flak for doing it until it died down.

Unfortunately now it wont let up because we haven't made the decision !!!

We are the architect of our own downfall in the amateurish way we have handled this from the start and it's obvious that we are only doing this to obtain a cheap striker , nothing more nothing less.

Best we an do now is a compromise to allow Evans to train with us until such time his hearing has been completed then take it from there.

The first thing to do then is get rid of Owen as the "fans voice " and replace with somebody who is.

If SC wishes to keep him on the board then that's his choice but it's not the fans choice to have him as our so called representative.

I will still support the club whatever happens , no one man is bigger than the club and eventually they wont be there but i will !!!

Edited by losesome

Thinking about this issue for a few days now and my view on it is;

1) Morally Evans should be able to work again and earn a living.

2) However morally I don't think I could bring myself to contribute (however little) to a convicted rapists wage.

3) Therefore if Evans did sign for Latics I would not go whilst he is in a Oldham shirt.

4) Appreciate that this is probably a controversial view on here but I couldn't bring myself to cheer a convicted rapist and any success we have whilst Evans is playing for us would be forever tainted.

5) My own view is that this is the first season in a number of years there's been any real positivity around the club and whatever your view on the signing of Evans, Corney (who I've always been loyal to and respected) and Owen have completely ruined the mood around the club and to an extent everything that Johnson was working towards achieving, excluding Evans signing or not the fall out from this could be massive.

The bottom line in all of this, for me, is that, about a month ago, a large number of Oldham Athletic fans (I wasn't one of them) made it perfectly clear to the club that they didn't want Ched Evans.

The club then stated that he wouldn't be training with us and we certainly wouldn't be offering him a contract.

It's Corneys business and his & his mates money but this is blatantly "riding roughshod" over the wishes of fans.

And how are The Trust still silent? What are they for if not something like this?

Granted there's no time to arrange a meeting but it's pretty clear that the majority of supporters don't want us to make this signing.

Surely they should be, at the very least, communicating this to the board of directors?

Or if they already have, telling us that they already have?

Edited by HarryBosch

The bottom line in all of this, for me, is that, about a month ago, a large number of Oldham Athletic fans (I wasn't one of them) made it perfectly clear to the club that they didn't want Ched Evans.

The club then stated that he wouldn't be training with us and we certainly wouldn't be offering him a contract.

It's Corneys business and his & his mates money but this is blatantly "riding roughshod" over the wishes of fans.

And how are The Trust still silent? What are they for if not something like this?

Granted there's no time to arrange a meeting but it's pretty clear that the majority of supporters don't want us to make this signing.

Surely they should be, at the very least, communicating this to the board of directors?

'The Trust' is in a difficult position right now.

It would appear whilst a significant number of fans are in favour of the signing, the majority are against. What is certainly true is that the club's name is being dragged through the mud.

Unfortunately the Trust chairman appears to be instrumental in pushing the move forward.

So if the Trust issued a statement, as vetoed or coordinated by its chairman, it would surely have to be in favour.

The alternative of course is the other directors issue a separate statement expressing their dissatisfaction with their chairman and the fact the fans have certainly not been consulted. That the Trust Chairman was in the national press a few weeks ago emphasising the importance of gauging fans opinion and that he has gone off on a frolic of his own.

I'd encourage that course of action.

Got to agree with this. If the Trust has nothing to say on this matter, what is the point of its existance?

A few points that are driving me insane...if somebody is released on licence they have NOT served their sentence only the custodial part. So in reality if we did sign him the convicted rapist will be playing out his sentence whilst being paid to do what we all dreamed of in playing at boundary park.

Myself and family even though its horrendous to say wont be visiting boundary park or any latics fixture regardless of our investment in the form of season tickets if he is employed by oafc. Its the worst I have felt since we were on the verge of going bust but even then we had our pride!

Strange, isn't it. Given that SC owns the club, there can't be much in the way of a debate. He can make the decision without discussing or debating it with anyone. It points to a complex legal argument based on the fact that something has been signed or agreed. Or, he's still hoping it will all die down as quickly as it erupted. Or, cynically and ridiculously, he's milking the free global publicity (no, i'm not serious). Listening to Gordon Taylor on Sunday it did appear that he was trying to force the issue. Perhaps some type of agreement had been made and little Gordon is kicking off? Perhaps we should organise a tram trip to Oxford Road and tell him to piss off.

How much would it cost to pay off the rapist? Five months wages? About £30k? I have no idea, but SC should hold his hands up and pay it out of his own money.

Tram to Oxford road? Why? I work next door to Oxford road station... I'm on my dinner at 12!

Obviously I'm not saying do anything, I just wondered what I'm a few feet from

Edited by pukka

You're also part of a mob too. Or are you on your own with your opinion?

Opinion is not mob behaviour. Opinion of a large group repeated over and over again on multiple forums and online social media as has happened with Ched Evans the last few months is online mob behaviour. I do not count discussion on OWTB as mob behaviour whatsoever, but I have already said that

My imagination has the following scenario on good authority:

10.00 am on 1 January

Gordon Taylor phones SC: Simon, it's me!

SC:What, who, wtf, Gordon i'm still celebrating a New York New Year.

GT: Well, it's the middle of the morning here. Now, listen, i've got a great bit of buisness for you. A £2.5 million striker for free..

SC: What...oh no...not theash agin... i told you..

GT: Simon, shut the :censored: up. You're slurring your words. Listen. Great bit of business for you. Are you interested in making a :censored: load of cash?

SC. (deep sigh as he collapses in a drunken stupour).

GT: what's that...yes...of course you are.

SC: What?

GT: You like to make cash..

SC: yes, that's what i do

GT: right, it's settled, he'll sign on Monday...no backing out.

SC: But i need to talk...to somone...like Barry

GT: Barry!!! Who the :censored: is that?

SC: Or whatsssshis name...you know...little feller...Lee...

GT: are you the boss?

SC: yes

GT: Grow a pair...are we agreed?

SC: (deep sigh as he collapses again).

GT: Great. No backing out. That's a verbal contract.

Tram to Oxford road? Why? I work next door to Oxford road station... I'm on my dinner at 12!

Obviously I'm not saying do anything, I just wondered what I'm a few feet from

PFA is between you and St Peters Square - assume that's the reference

Opinion is not mob behaviour. Opinion of a large group repeated over and over again on multiple forums and online social media as has happened with Ched Evans the last few months is online mob behaviour. I do not count discussion on OWTB as mob behaviour whatsoever, but I have already said that

So you're saying Evans is a victim in this? Classy.

So if I post my opinion that we shouldn't sign him on here OK, but if I post that opinion on other forums I become part of a mob?

So you're saying Evans is a victim in this? Classy.

So if I post my opinion that we shouldn't sign him on here OK, but if I post that opinion on other forums I become part of a mob?

He has become a victim of mob behaviour yes, because they are doing everything they can to stop him going back to football on every occasion he gets looked at. I would add that other players coming out of jail don't seem to have had such a following as this guy...

If OAFC pull out and another clubs looks to sign him, and you go around attacking that club then you become part of the mob. If you as a fan of OAFC post your opinion on OAFC and Ched Evans than I once again repeat you are not part of the mob chasing this guy around, you are a fan with a legitimate interest and concern

Former Oldham player Rick Holden has voiced his displeasure at the possible signing of Evans.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live earlier this week he said: "I'm not comfortable with it at all, it's one of those crimes that will never go away in my opinion.

"I don't see how the chap can survive actually, given the ferocity of football up and down the land, even if he did sign. I think it's untenable."