So how much did this play into Johnson wanting out?

I'm not sure.

Reading between the lines (in other words I'm making assumptions which could be wrong), Johnson wanted Evans and met with him. The story got out (deliberate leak to test opinion?) and the club issued a statement saying it wasn't going to happen. Johnson didn't think it worth the hassle. Or Ched wanted £5k a week. Probably the latter.

Then we started losing games. Clear need for a striker. Ched's people came back talking lower wages. Deal back on. The rest is history.

During that last period it seems Johnson briefed the press off the record that he was against it. On camera he trod a careful line. Overall he came out smelling of roses.

1) It may have led to tensions because he may have been saying one thing within the club, another thing to camera and another thing to press off the record.

2) It put him in the window when he may not have been otherwise.

The latter point is fact. Whether it triggered Barnsley's interest we'll never know.

Whatever the truth, I think we've lost a decent manager who will improve over time. Others will now benefit from that.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how much did this play into Johnson wanting out?

Neither here nor there. Johnson was massively behind the signing of Evans - might even have driven it from the beginning. Corney was the one with the cold feet.

Will he want to sign Evans for Barnsley? Not a chance. Oldham needed Evans because of the budget, but Barnsley never will.

Neither here nor there. Johnson was massively behind the signing of Evans - might even have driven it from the beginning. Corney was the one with the cold feet.

Will he want to sign Evans for Barnsley? Not a chance. Oldham needed Evans because of the budget, but Barnsley never will.

On a slight tangent, but never the less linked. Did BO meet CE for lunch the other day to influence CE that it was OAFC that was prepared to sign him and not Lee Johnson only. Knowing full well Johnson had cleared his desk and with it his CE folder?

Just in case CE wins is appeal and clears his name. To me looking from the outside BO clearly believes CE has a strong chance of doing so.

The article in The Times that appeared to be ghost written by Evans' doting father in law suggested LJ was against at first but was won round.

It's funny how it's now common place just to use the surname of someone who is viewed with disgust. Is it since 'Saville' so they didn't have to use his title given it hadn't been withdrawn at the time. Makes chuckle anyway,

On to the reason I've responded. Didn't CE father in law express his eagerness for his son in law to work with someone with the integrity of LJ. A honesty and integrity he had realised LJ possessed through conversations they'd had?

Edited by Lags

On to the reason I've responded. Didn't CE father in law express his eagerness for his son in law to work with someone with the integrity of LJ. A honesty and integrity he had realised LJ possessed through conversations they'd had?

I'm glad that papa-in-law saw the goodness in LJ. Shame the evil old :censored: missed it in the attack dogs he paid for on Ched's website

It's funny how it's now common place just to use the surname of someone who is viewed with disgust. Is it since 'Saville' so they didn't have to use his title given it hadn't been withdrawn at the time. Makes chuckle anyway,

Isn't that a football thing generally i.e. 'Ritchie, Royle, Holden'?

Aye. I find it odd people seem to refer to him by his first name, as if there's some sort of familiarity with him.

Put you lip back in. It wasn't aimed at you, it was in general so no need for the sarcasm. I was meaning like on the news, it's always 'saville'. I don't remember years ago Ian Brady being referred to as 'Brady'

Put you lip back in. It wasn't aimed at you, it was in general so no need for the sarcasm. I was meaning like on the news, it's always 'saville'. I don't remember years ago Ian Brady being referred to as 'Brady'

Eh? Who said it was aimed at me? What sarcasm? I genuinely find it odd - nobody refers to Beckham as David or Ronaldo as Cristiano so why do people refer to Evans as Ched when they have no attachment to him?

And sometimes Chedwyn...

You never see it for anyone else, it's almost as if it's some faux solidarity. But you raised the issue of how people refer to wrong uns. Without looking back I can't even remember how you've referred to him...

On a slight tangent, but never the less linked. Did BO meet CE for lunch the other day to influence CE that it was OAFC that was prepared to sign him and not Lee Johnson only. Knowing full well Johnson had cleared his desk and with it his CE folder?

Just in case CE wins is appeal and clears his name. To me looking from the outside BO clearly believes CE has a strong chance of doing so.

You might be right. I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

LJ was still a massive driver of the Evans signing, but successfully distanced himself from it. Barry was massively on board as well. You can say what you like about Barry but he's as stubborn as a mule.

Maybe that interview was another little test of the water - an attempt to check whether the ladies groups are still mobilised.

Eh? Who said it was aimed at me? What sarcasm? I genuinely find it odd - nobody refers to Beckham as David or Ronaldo as Cristiano so why do people refer to Evans as Ched when they have no attachment to him?

And sometimes Chedwyn...

You never see it for anyone else, it's almost as if it's some faux solidarity. But you raised the issue of how people refer to wrong uns. Without looking back I can't even remember how you've referred to him...

It's because ched is such a stupid name it removes any risk of confusing him with somebody else.

I think we have done the Ched Evans thing. People are still making rash uninformed judgements about what happened which are unhelpful to the victim and the convicted rapist. If/when he gets off lets have another thread as he signs for someone else where some might say 'I told you so' and others might want to offer an apology.

This thread is now about the mis-management of our club as typified by Mr Owen and the misdirection by a former manager Lee Johnson. We have been let down by both of them and some say that is football. Well if that is football at Oldham Athletic I will not be renewing my season ticket, ending a run of 25 years as a supporter. Unusually Simon is keeping quiet but I do need an explanation if he wants my continuing support. December, January and February - three months to forget.

I listened to the whole interview last night and gleaned 2 things:

When Barry said, "Due diligence," in his famous interview, what he meant was that the club made sure that employing Chedwyn was fully within the terms of his licence and that they wouldn't be exposed if he slipped up, say by raping someone else or more of his friends getting caught harassing the victim and

2) When he says that they had to consider fans, ladies etc he means just that. He never claimed not to consider them as vermin.

And sometimes Chedwyn...

I agree in football speak, commentators and the like have always used the players surname, hence this is not new or odd.

However, on the news it's now always 'Saville' kinda said in a disliking tone also.

Maybe it's just me. As you were JSS.

I listened to the whole interview last night and gleaned 2 things:

When Barry said, "Due diligence," in his famous interview, what he meant was that the club made sure that employing Chedwyn was fully within the terms of his licence and that they wouldn't be exposed if he slipped up, say by raping someone else or more of his friends getting caught harassing the victim and

2) When he says that they had to consider fans, ladies etc he means just that. He never claimed not to consider them as vermin.

Come on Lees, That is absolutely beyond reasonable and you've crossed a line.

Also, shot me now If you think I have to much faith in people, I doubt CE would ever put himself in that position again. At least I would like to think so.

Edited by Lags

I agree in football speak, commentators and the like have always used the players surname, hence this is not new or odd.

However, on the news it's now always 'Saville' kinda said in a disliking tone also.

Maybe it's just me. As you were JSS.

In the fancier news rag match reports, they give the player's name in full the first time, surname thereafter.

Also, shot me know If you think I have to much faith in people, I doubt CE would ever put himself in that position again. At least I would like to think so.

There's no harm in facetiousness...

My problem is that when Barry says they considered the fans and the ladies groups, he's really saying, "People are angry, dismayed, shocked, disgusted...but I don't give a flying :censored:."

At the time, he was the fans rep on the board. A statement such as, "Opinion is massively divided on this signing and this whole farago is showing the club in a sub-optimum light," covers all bases. The worst he could be accused of is sitting on the fence, which is no bad thing when you've got half the fans wanting something and half bitterly opposed. He was absolutely :censored: at that aspect of his job from the start to the end. It wasn't the only thing he was :censored: at.

Also, shot me now If you think I have to much faith in people, I doubt CE would ever put himself in that position again. At least I would like to think so.

Re: Barry, he really did seem furious that we might object to the whole thing after he'd already had a good think and decided it was ok. Contemptuous of the idea that fans have their own thoughts and might even be almost as clever as him.

Re: Chedwyn, I hope not. It's a shame he didn't use the opportunity to show the risks young men can face even whilst protesting his legal case. However, he only seems to regret his girlfriend finding out and the harm to his career so who can say he wouldn't just be more careful another time?

I was referring to you stating he thinks women as being vermin brother...... that's crossing the line

Re: Barry, he really did seem furious that we might object to the whole thing after he'd already had a good think and decided it was ok. Contemptuous of the idea that fans have their own thoughts and might even be almost as clever as him.

Re: Chedwyn, I hope not. It's a shame he didn't use the opportunity to show the risks young men can face even whilst protesting his legal case. However, he only seems to regret his girlfriend finding out and the harm to his career so who can say he wouldn't just be more careful another time?